Inverse Square Law: Total Power at Earth per Unit Area

In summary: The wavelength of peak emission from the surface = 4.99655x10^-7 m... so it's in the visible spectrum.
googlyeyes

Homework Statement

The intensity (I) of sunlight (the received power per unit area) drops with distance (d) from the sun according to the inverse square law - i.e I2/I1 is proportional to (d1/d2)^2

What is the total power received at Earth (above the atmosphere) per unit of surface area?

P.S. The wavelength of peak emission from the surface = 4.99655x10^-7 m
AND the total radiated power per unit of surface area of the sun = 3.901x10^26

Homework Equations

Inverse square law

The Attempt at a Solution

Work out distance from Earth to sun and square it? I am really not sure how this formula works, I haven't used it before.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, do you have the Solar Radius?

No it wasnt given

You need to look up Solar Radius and Earth-Sun distance for this one.

Can you think of some resource where you can look the solar radius up?
Do you know the distance from the Sun to the Earth?

total radiated power per unit of surface area of the sun = 3.901x10^26
... you left off the units: W/m^2 perhaps?

If this is I1 is the intensity at the radius of the Sun Rs, then what is the intensity at the radius of the Earth Re?

So the equation would look like this:

I2/3.901x10^26 is proportional to (Rs/Re)^2 ??

googlyeyes said:
So the equation would look like this:

I2/3.901x10^26 is proportional to (Rs/Re)^2 ??

Yes.

And can you treat the "proportional to" sign as an equal sign and just rearrange the equation?

Proportionality generally is not the same as equals but when you are dealing with ratios as in this case, any constants cancel out. So yes.

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
Can you think of some resource where you can look the solar radius up?
Do you know the distance from the Sun to the Earth?

the total radiated power per unit of surface area of the sun = 3.901x10^26

... you left off the units: W/m^2 perhaps?

If this is I1 is the intensity at the radius of the Sun Rs, then what is the intensity at the radius of the Earth Re?

The figure 3.901*10^26 watts represents the total power emitted from the surface of the sun, not per sq.m. Anything*10^26 is a truly astounding number.

Oh so what units have I got it in? I just did the SA (4pi*r^2) multiplied by σT^4 to get the power

You did SA (4pi*r^2) without knowing the radius of the Sun?
What did you find the SA of? Maybe it would help if you detailed your initial calculations?

Note:

If ##a \propto b## then ##a=kb## where k is the (unknown, in this case) constant of proportionality.
This is how you turn a proportional symbol into an equals sign.

then ##a_1 \propto b_1 \implies a_1=kb_1## (1) and ##a_2 \propto b_2\implies a_2=kb_2## (2)
... by the same logic. Notice the constant of proportionality is the same because it's the same relation.

then $$\frac{a_1=kb_1}{a_2=kb_2}\implies\frac{a_1}{a_2}=\frac{b_1}{b_2}$$
... because the constants divide out.

It's a very handy approach for getting rid of the bits of equations you don't know.

I used 6.955x10^8 as the r but I am not sure where I got that from now?
The question also gives that "the surface area of the sun has an effective temperature of approx. 5800K"
and for the calculation to find the wavelength of peak emission i did:
(2.898x10^-3)/5800 = 4.9965x10^-7

googlyeyes said:
I used 6.955x10^8 as the r but I am not sure where I got that from now?
It is good practice to always include the units with your numbers ... they are meaningless without.

695500km is the solar radius.

The question also gives that "the surface area of the sun has an effective temperature of approx. 5800K"
... which is where the stephan-boltzman's law comes in right? Modelling the Sun as a blackbody?

and for the calculation to find the wavelength of peak emission i did:
(2.898x10^-3)/5800 = 4.9965x10^-7

Wein's displacement law?
As well as putting the units in, you should also get into the habit of saying what your reasoning is when you do calculations, otherwise you are making people guess what you mean to do.

1. What is the Inverse Square Law?

The Inverse Square Law is a scientific principle that states that the intensity of radiation or force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance from the source increases, the intensity decreases by a factor of 1/distance2.

2. How does the Inverse Square Law apply to total power at Earth per unit area?

The Inverse Square Law applies to total power at Earth per unit area by showing how the amount of power received from a source decreases as the distance from the source increases. This means that the total power at Earth per unit area will decrease as the distance from the source increases due to the Inverse Square Law.

3. Why is the Inverse Square Law important in science?

The Inverse Square Law is important in science because it helps us understand how different forms of radiation and force behave as they travel through space. It also allows us to make accurate predictions about the intensity and power of these forms of energy at different distances from their sources.

4. How is the Inverse Square Law used in real-life applications?

The Inverse Square Law is used in many real-life applications, such as in astronomy to measure the brightness of stars, in photography to control the amount of light reaching the camera, and in engineering to design efficient lighting systems. It is also used in medical imaging to adjust the intensity of X-rays and other forms of radiation.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Inverse Square Law?

While the Inverse Square Law generally holds true for most forms of radiation and force, there are some exceptions. For example, in certain situations, the presence of obstacles or other interfering factors may cause the intensity to deviate from the inverse square relationship. Additionally, when dealing with small distances, the Inverse Square Law may not accurately describe the behavior of radiation or force.