Inversion Curve for a gas obeying Dieterici's equation of state

In summary, the experts discuss the equation of the inversion curve for a gas obeying Dieterici's equation of state. They suggest using implicit differentiation to find the derivative of V with respect to T and then eliminating V and the derivative in order to arrive at the target equation. After some further discussion and clarification, they determine the maximum inversion temperature to be T = 2a/bR.
ncholland

Homework Statement

For a gas obeying Dieterici's equation of state:

P(V-b) = RTexp(-a/RTV)

for one mole, prove that the equation of the inversion curve is

P = ((2a/b^2) - (RT/b)) * exp((1/2) - (a/(RTb)))

and hence find the maximum inversion temperature.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I know that for the inversion curve, the condition is (dV/dT) = V/T (where the derivative is evaluated at constant pressure). But this would need implicit differentiation to find dV/dt ... and it seems completely intractable - is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do the partial differentiation.
To arrive at the target equation, you need to eliminate ∂V/∂T (for which you have an equation) and V (for which you have the original equation).
If you're still stuck, please post your working.

Hi, thanks for the help!

I've tried the partial differentiation, but when I try and eliminate V and ∂V/∂T between the equation I obtain and the equation of state I just get a horrible mess - I'm not sure if I'm doing the differentiation right...

I rearranged the equation to get:

[itex]\frac{-a}{RTV}[/itex] = ln(p(V-b)) - ln(RT)

So, differentiating wrt T:

[itex]\frac{a}{RT^{2}V}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{a}{RTV^{2}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{∂V}{∂T}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{V-b}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{∂V}{∂T}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex]

There's not really any point me posting any of the further work / manipulation I've done - I've tried a load of different things and nothing gets anywhere...

Is the initial differentiation correct?

Cheers!

ncholland said:
[itex]\frac{a}{RT^{2}V}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{a}{RTV^{2}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{∂V}{∂T}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{V-b}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{∂V}{∂T}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex]
Yes, that looks good. Substitute for ∂V/∂T and get it into the form V = ...

Awesome, thanks! Got it now, much less nasty than I'd thought :-) (I was just messing up the cancellation of terms - which made me doubt I'd got the differentiation right in the first place because the whole thing looked such a mess!)

And the maximum inversion temperature is just found by setting P = 0, right? So that gives T = 2a/bR ?

ncholland said:
And the maximum inversion temperature is just found by setting P = 0, right?
If you say so. I know nothing about this subject matter.

What is Dieterici's equation of state?

Dieterici's equation of state is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a gas under varying pressure and temperature conditions. It is often used in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to model the properties of real gases.

What is the Inversion Curve for a gas obeying Dieterici's equation of state?

The Inversion Curve is a plot of the pressure versus temperature for a gas obeying Dieterici's equation of state. It shows the conditions at which the gas transitions from a liquid-like state to a gas-like state.

What factors affect the shape of the Inversion Curve?

The shape of the Inversion Curve is primarily affected by the parameters in Dieterici's equation of state, including the critical temperature and pressure of the gas. Additionally, external factors such as intermolecular forces and molecular size can also influence the curve.

What is the significance of the Inversion Curve for gas behavior?

The Inversion Curve is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of real gases and their transitions between liquid-like and gas-like states. It also provides insights into the effects of pressure and temperature on gas behavior.

How is the Inversion Curve experimentally determined?

The Inversion Curve can be experimentally determined by measuring the pressure and temperature of a gas at different conditions and plotting the data on a graph. This can be done using a variety of techniques, such as a piston-cylinder apparatus or a gas chromatograph.