Inverted Pendulum Dynamics Identification

In summary, the author is trying to understand the dynamics of an inverted pendulum and is confused by the different equations and assumptions made.
sandpants

Homework Statement

I am trying to establish the the dynamics of an inverted pendulum for further analysis. I understand that this is a well known problem, but
the governing equations in various sources are different and make it difficult to keep track of what forces are being applied on the pendulum. I understand there are some assumptions made and hence different models - but in the following source in particular:
http://ctms.engin.umich.edu/CTMS/index.php?example=InvertedPendulum&section=SystemModeling
I am confused and hope someone can clarify the following:

Homework Equations

In the above link the equations I am having trouble with are (2) and (4)

The Attempt at a Solution

In (2) the 2nd and 3rd terms md2x/dt2 and mld2θ/dt2cosθ - are these not one and the same? As in the transversal acceleration ld2θ/dt2 is related to the horizontal component d2x/dt2 by cosθ. If true, why is it counted twice in (2) and if/whether that's an error.

In (4) The last term on the left and the 2 terms on the right; again my intuition is suggesting there are repeating terms:
mld2θ/dt2 force vector due to angular acceleration, in transversal direction
mgsinθ - force due to weight
md2x/dt2cosθ - force due to horizontal translation of the point

Aren't the latter 2 just constituents of the first?
if θ =180° mld2θ/dt2 = -md2x/dt2cosθ = -md2x/dt2
if θ = 90° then mld2θ/dt2 = mgsinθ = mg
Hence shouldn't for any θ
mld2θ/dt2 = mgsinθ + md2x/dt2cosθ ?

In the same equation (4) the terms P and N - are these no repeating as well? Especially since the moment is taken about the hinge, why are these even counted?

It also seems like there is a rabbithole going on with the terms md2x/dt2cosθ and mld2θ/dt2cosθ

Sorry, I am just very confused as to which forces are being resolved into what directions and why can they be resolved like that. The last 2 terms just seems like they are taking a cosθ of a cosθ component.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than try to follow some other person's work at the link, why don't you simply sit down and work the problem for yourself? Then you will not be confused by their notations.

I have; my questions stem from these workings. I would need an external model to confirm my own work. Otherwise I would be blindly do random things and accept them to be true.

sandpants said:
Otherwise I would be blindly do random things and accept them to be true.

No, you should proceed from knowledge, so that when you have finished your work you can say, "I have reasoned correctly from well established physical principals, therefore, I have confidence that my result is correct."

What will you do for other problems where there is no "external model" to check your work?

In the link posted, in (4) I understand that P and N are reaction forces. But taking the moment around the hinge they shouldn't be counted. All the other forces are taken around the hinge (L dimension is used). Taking it around half that dimension would make it into a couple, P = mg. Hence just taking mlgsinθ should sufficiently account for the forces.

When I resolve the gravitational force I also find the relating transversal acceleration from which I would find the horizontal acceleration of the point mass. But I don't understand how the trig is set up. From geometry you should be able to take mld2θ/dt2=md2x/dt2cosθ, but you can also take mld2θ/dt2cosθ=md2x/dt2, this would switch the hypotenuse and would make either vector smaller. I don't know which one is the correct form.

consulting this link http://www.profjrwhite.com/system_dynamics/sdyn/s7/s7invp1/s7invp1.html I've understood why there are repeating term in (2) of the link in the OP.
md2x/dt2 comes from consdering the position of the point mass relative to some arbitrary point, related to the position of the hinge. Whereas my error was taking the position of the point mass only in relation to the hinge.

In the previous link however, fig 7.17 shows a vertical force on the point mass which I do not understand. Why is this force not identical to -mg?

I'm losing track of the forces applied and developed.

Please advise.

1. What is an inverted pendulum?

An inverted pendulum is a physical system in which a rod or stick is balanced on its end, with the center of mass above the pivot point. The inverted pendulum is an important concept in dynamics and control theory, as it is a common model used to represent unstable systems.

2. What is dynamics identification?

Dynamics identification is the process of determining the mathematical equations that describe the behavior of a physical system. This involves collecting data, analyzing it, and using mathematical models to represent the system's dynamics. In the case of an inverted pendulum, dynamics identification would involve determining the equations that govern the motion of the pendulum.

3. Why is inverted pendulum dynamics identification important?

Inverted pendulum dynamics identification is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. By accurately identifying the dynamics of an inverted pendulum, we can design control systems that can stabilize the pendulum and keep it balanced, even though it is inherently unstable.

4. What are some real-world applications of inverted pendulum dynamics identification?

Inverted pendulum dynamics identification has many real-world applications, such as in robotics, where it is used to design controllers for balancing robots. It is also used in the development of self-balancing vehicles, like the Segway. Inverted pendulum dynamics identification is also used in the study of human balance and gait analysis.

5. What are some challenges in inverted pendulum dynamics identification?

One of the main challenges in inverted pendulum dynamics identification is dealing with noise and uncertainties in the data. The system is highly sensitive to small changes and disturbances, so accurately measuring and modeling the dynamics can be difficult. Additionally, inverted pendulum dynamics can be highly nonlinear, making it challenging to create accurate mathematical models.