Investigating Energy Transfer in a Collision Between Two Cars

In summary: No, I'm talking more about loud noises and fenders bending. Could that have anything to do with energy?
teeheehee
A car of mass m moving East at speed v (v << c no need to use relativity) collides with another car of mass 2 m moving North with speed 3v.

a) What are the x and y components of the center of mass velocity of the system just before the collision?
b) If the cars stick together during the collision what is their common speed after the collision?
c) Determine the ratio of the total kinetic energy after the collision to the total kinetic energy
before the collision?

d) Explain why kinetic energy is not conserved but momentum is conserved during the collision

I got the first two parts but I'm not sure how to find the ratio of kinetic energy! Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the mass and speeds of the cars before the collision so you can easily find the kinetic energy. You say that you found the speed after the collision so you should be able to find the kinetic energy afterwards. So just divide one by the other.

Thanks! That was easier than I expected. What about part d? Why isn't kinetic conserved? This concept never really made much sense to me.

teeheehee said:
Thanks! That was easier than I expected. What about part d? Why isn't kinetic conserved? This concept never really made much sense to me.

What's the definition of kinetic energy? Does it have to do with motion? What happens if the motion stops?

phinds said:
What's the definition of kinetic energy? Does it have to do with motion? What happens if the motion stops?

Oh! It's because velocity changes, right?

teeheehee said:
Oh! It's because velocity changes, right?

Velocity changes in an elastic collision too but kinetic energy isn't lost. What happens when two cars collide besides a change in velocity?

Dick said:
Velocity changes in an elastic collision too but kinetic energy isn't lost. What happens when two cars collide besides a change in velocity?

Their mass becomes one?

teeheehee said:
Their mass becomes one?

No, I'm talking more about loud noises and fenders bending. Could that have anything to do with energy? You've already shown kinetic energy isn't conserved, I hope. The question is where could the missing energy have gone.

Last edited:

Related to Investigating Energy Transfer in a Collision Between Two Cars

What is the "Center of Mass Problem"?

The "Center of Mass Problem" is a concept in physics and engineering that involves finding the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. It is also known as the center of gravity or barycenter.

Why is the "Center of Mass Problem" important?

Finding the center of mass is important in determining an object's stability, balance, and motion. It is also crucial in designing structures and vehicles to ensure they are properly balanced and can safely operate.

How is the "Center of Mass Problem" calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of an object's individual masses and positions. This is usually done by using the formula: center of mass = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where m represents the mass and x represents the position in each dimension.

What factors affect the "Center of Mass Problem"?

The position and distribution of an object's mass, as well as the external forces acting on the object, can affect the location of its center of mass. Objects with irregular or asymmetrical shapes, or those with varying densities, may also have more complex center of mass calculations.

How is the "Center of Mass Problem" used in real-world applications?

The center of mass is used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It is used to analyze the stability of structures and vehicles, design aircraft and spacecraft, and understand the movement of objects in space. It also plays a role in sports and athletics, such as in determining the optimal position for a high jumper or balancing a gymnast's routine.