Ionization Energy (Quantum Mechanics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the ionization energy of krypton using ultraviolet radiation from a helium lamp and the Lyman series. The attempt at a solution involves using the Rydberg constant and the photoelectric effect, but the correct answer of 14 eV is not obtained. The confusion lies in the assumption that the equations only apply to single-electron atoms, while krypton has multiple electrons.
vcollier

Homework Statement

When ultraviolet radiation of wavelength 58.4 nm from a helium lamp is directed on to a sample of krypton, electrons are ejected with a speed of 1.59 Mm/s. Calculate the ionization energy of Krypton.

Homework Equations

E=hv, [itex]\frac{1}{λ}[/itex]=R(1- [itex]\frac{1}{n2}[/itex] ) <- Lyman series
Ionization energy = [itex]\frac{hcR}{n2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Lyman series to try and find the Rydberg constant for Krypton (with n=4), then substituted that value into the Ionization energy equation with n = 4 again. I'm given that the answer should be 14 eV, but I didn't get that result.

My confusion is how these equations relate to the ionization of krypton since the equations assume a single electron atom, which krypton is not. Furthermore, I can't find a use for the velocity (E= 0.5mv2 also doesn't give the correct answer).

Any help in figuring out how to approach this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you care about the structure of krypton's spectrum? You have the energy of incident photons, you have the energy of emitted electrons. Where is the difference at?

The Lyman type of series only applies to one-electron atoms or ions. Try relating this problem to the photoelectric effect.

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule in its ground state, resulting in the formation of a positively charged ion.

2. How is ionization energy related to quantum mechanics?

Ionization energy is a concept that arises from quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. In quantum mechanics, electrons are described as existing in discrete energy levels, and ionization energy is the energy required to move an electron from one level to another.

3. What factors affect the ionization energy of an atom?

The ionization energy of an atom is affected by the number of protons in the nucleus, the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electron, and the shielding effect of inner electrons. As these factors change, the ionization energy also changes.

4. How is ionization energy measured?

Ionization energy is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). It can be experimentally determined by bombarding atoms with high-energy particles and measuring the energy required to remove an electron, or it can be calculated theoretically using quantum mechanical equations.

5. Why does ionization energy increase across a period in the periodic table?

Ionization energy generally increases across a period in the periodic table because, as the number of protons increases, the attraction between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons increases. This makes it more difficult to remove an electron from the atom, resulting in higher ionization energy.