Ionization percentage in the Saha equation

• Thread starter tanaygupta2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionization
In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of n2/n1, which is estimated to be around 10^25. The equation being used for this calculation is n2/n1 = 1/n(2πmkT/h^2)^(3/2) 2g2/g1 exp(-I/kT). The individual is seeking help with properly formatting the equation using LaTeX. They also mention finding a value for 'percentage' and clarifying the use of ne (number density of free electrons) in relation to the density of the star.
tanaygupta2000
Homework Statement
Find out the percentage of ionization in H2 gas at the centre of a star, given that the density of the star is 10^5 kg/m^3 and its temperature is 1.5 × 10^7 K.
(For H2, 2gi/ga = 1 & I = 13.6 eV).
Relevant Equations
n2/n1 = 1/n (2πmkT/h^2)^(3/2) 2g2/g1 exp(-I/kT)
Plugging-in the above data, I am getting n2/n1 to be of the order of 10^25 !
I know that the percentage is out of 100.

Physics news on Phys.org
Trying to clean up your post with LaTeX...

[tex]

n2/n1 = 1/n (2πmkT/h^2)^(3/2) 2g2/g1 exp(-I/kT)
[/tex]

Still working on it...

Okay, I'm not able to fix up your equation in the standard LaTeX that we use here at the PF. Please add a reply with your math properly formatted so we can try to help you. Tutorial on LaTeX is at the top of the page under INFO/Help. Thank you.

berkeman said:
Okay, I'm not able to fix up your equation in the standard LaTeX that we use here at the PF. Please add a reply with your math properly formatted so we can try to help you. Tutorial on LaTeX is at the top of the page under INFO/Help. Thank you.
unnamed.gif

Sir I am getting NII/NI = 139.9688 × 1025
I have checked my calculation.
How do I find the 'percentage'?

I think I am getting confused by ne (number density of free electrons) with the density of the star.
I think I need to use ne = (Density of star)/(2mp) and not directly 105.

What is the Saha equation?

The Saha equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the ionization percentage of an element in a gas or plasma. It takes into account the temperature, pressure, and ionization energy of the element.

What is ionization percentage?

Ionization percentage refers to the ratio of the number of ionized atoms to the total number of atoms in a gas or plasma. It is usually expressed as a percentage or a fraction.

How is ionization percentage related to the Saha equation?

The Saha equation is used to calculate the ionization percentage of an element in a gas or plasma. It takes into account the temperature and pressure of the gas, as well as the ionization energy of the element, to determine the degree of ionization.

Why is the Saha equation important in scientific research?

The Saha equation is important because it helps scientists understand the behavior of atoms and molecules in high temperature and pressure environments, such as stars and other celestial bodies. It is also used in fields such as plasma physics, astrophysics, and atmospheric science.

What are some limitations of the Saha equation?

The Saha equation assumes that the gas is in thermal equilibrium and that the atoms are non-interacting. It also does not take into account other factors such as radiation and magnetic fields, which can affect the ionization process. Additionally, it is only applicable to monatomic gases and may not accurately predict the ionization percentage of more complex molecules.