IPAD update STUCK on "Preparing Update"

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ipad Stuck
In summary, Apple has warned iPhone and iPad users to update their systems to iOS 14.4 due to potential security issues. However, some users have reported issues with the update process, such as devices getting stuck on the "Preparing Update" stage for extended periods of time. There are various troubleshooting steps that can be taken, such as deleting and re-downloading the update file or leaving the device plugged in overnight. The "preparing update" stage may take longer than usual, so patience is advised.
kyphysics
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/26/tech/iphone-ipad-ios-14-4-update/index.html
Apple warned iphone and ipad users to updddate their systems today.

I tried to on my iPad, but it's "stuck" on "Preparing Update."

I tried shutting it down after 30-40 minutes (not sure if that messed up anything, as it was in the middle of "Preparing Update") and turning it back on. Then, I went to the update section again in Settings and it automatically resumed that "Preparing Update" part...

40 minutes later...no change...any idea what to do?

Computer science news on Phys.org
This question is better suited to google lookup as we are likely to have no idea.

Having said that, I found this article via google of things to try:

https://www.ikream.com/ipad-pro-thats-stuck-on-bootloop-keeps-restarting-on-its-own-34226

jedishrfu said:
I found this article via google of things to try:

https://www.ikream.com/ipad-pro-thats-stuck-on-bootloop-keeps-restarting-on-its-own-34226
That article is for devices that are stuck in a bootloop. Probably not very helpful in this case.

I found another article, which instructs you to go to Settings and delete the downloaded update file, and then re-download it. Let us know if that helps:
https://osxdaily.com/2020/07/16/how-to-fix-ios-14-stuck-on-preparing-update/

Likes jedishrfu
I once got caught in this kind of Hades conundrum. My wife was away on a trip and I took the time to backup and update her iPad even after she told me not to. Big mistake! No good deed goes unpunished.

First the iPad connected with iTunes and with the photos app. She has a lot of photos on the iPad. Next iTunes says there's an update for the iPad, and then says itunes itself needs to be updated. So somehow iTunes started updating while photos were being downloaded and while the iPad was being backed up and then nothing.

Everything seemed to hang, I waited a long time and then decided to pull the iPad cable. Big mistake it apparently wasn’t hung but the backup didn’t finish, the photos didn’t update all the way and I had to reset the device back to factory settings and use an older backup to recover. Everything was fine except for the stories my wife was writing, I lost the edits that were done.

I always felt that Apple owned this problem and needed to insure that backups, updates, upgrades and photo storage happened in a measured and orderly way.

Don't make my mistake! You must be the order to your world or chaos will rule!

Likes Wrichik Basu
I've had some very long updates too, 40 minutes is nothing. Leave it updating plugged in overnight and if it still isn't working, then start looking for alternatives.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I left it for a while and it finally worked. This just took a lot longer than I expected for some reason.

Hopefully YOU TOO have updated, as the article says there could be major security issues!

Likes Wrichik Basu
I recently updated my iPhone XR and 7th generation iPad from iOS 14.3 to 14.4, and my wife's iPhone SE (new generation) from 14.2 to 14.4. All without issues. My impression is that the "preparing update" stage has taken longer in recent updates, so you just have to be patient.

1. Why is my IPAD update stuck on "Preparing Update"?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a poor internet connection, low storage space on your device, or a problem with the update file itself.

2. How long should I wait for the update to finish preparing?

The time it takes for an update to prepare varies depending on the size of the update and the speed of your internet connection. In most cases, it should not take more than 30 minutes. If it takes longer, it is recommended to restart your device and try again.

3. Can I cancel the update while it is preparing?

Yes, you can cancel the update by pressing the home button and power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. However, it is not recommended to do this as it may cause problems with your device.

4. Will I lose my data if I cancel the update while it is preparing?

No, cancelling the update will not cause any loss of data. However, it is always a good idea to back up your device before performing any updates.

5. How can I fix the issue of my IPAD update being stuck on "Preparing Update"?

If restarting your device does not work, you can try connecting to a different and stronger internet connection. You can also try updating your device through iTunes on a computer. If the issue persists, it is recommended to contact Apple support for further assistance.