IPhone / iPad Message & Phone Sharing

In summary, iPhone and iPad users can easily share messages and phone calls between their devices through the Continuity feature. This allows for seamless communication across multiple devices, with the ability to start a conversation on one device and continue it on another. This feature also allows for the use of the iPad as a speakerphone for iPhone calls. Additionally, users can transfer ongoing calls between their devices with just a tap. Overall, Message & Phone Sharing on iPhone and iPad provides a convenient and efficient way to stay connected across devices.
Imager
Gold Member
I just purchased an iPhone 11 pro max and I'm having difficulty pairing it with my old iPad pro 10.5". On both the pad and the phone when I attempt turn on messages, it wants me to upgrade to two factor security. Is there a way around the two factor identification?

I tried the factor identification a while back and it was just to big of a hassle.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
What version of iOS does your iPad use? If it's an old version, can you upgrade to a newer version of iOS?

You may have encountered one of the features that that require two-factor authentication for your Apple ID account, as described in the quote below.

Two-factor authentication: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915
Two-factor authentication is built directly into iOS, macOS, tvOS, watchOS, and Apple’s web sites. It uses different methods to trust devices and deliver verification codes, and offers a more streamlined user experience. You need two-factor authentication to use certain features that require improved security.

Two-step verification (older method): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204152

IIRC I had to convert from two-step to two-factor last year, either after I replaced my old iPhone 5S with a new iPhone XR, or after I changed the e-mail address that I use for my Apple ID. I don't remember the details now. It took a bit of fiddling, but I got everything to work OK.

I also use a 10.5" iPad (last year's model which has been on sale cheap recently) and an ancient desktop Mac Pro. The iPad has the latest iOS. The Mac Pro has an ancient Mac OS and can't be updated. It doesn't show up under "My Devices" in my Apple ID account, but I can still use it to log onto that account by using a verification code sent to my other devices.

Both iPad and iPhone are the current SW version 13.3.1.

From what I can see, messages is an app that requires two-factor authentication. The problem for me is that having to use it requires getting a code from iphone ever time I want to use messages or the phone on the ipad.

So, if I am in the den reading on my ipad and I get a text, I have to request a code, go to my phone and get the code, then go back and enter it on my ipad. It would be okay, if it was a one time thing to create a trusted device…

It’s seem a pretty poor way to do things, that’s why I think I’m doing something wrong.

Are both devices signed into the same Apple ID? When you open the Settings app on either device, and tap your name at the top of the screen to show your Apple ID settings, do you see both devices listed near the bottom?

Just a few days ago, I exchanged some texts with my wife from my iPad without any problems. I can see the entire exchange in Messages on both devices, because we both have Apple devices so we can address the messages using our Apple IDs.

I also have some messages on my iPhone that came as ordinary SMS messages to my phone number. Those don't show up on my iPad, which I suppose makes sense. It's Wi-Fi only, anyway.

1. What is iPhone/iPad Message & Phone Sharing?

iPhone/iPad Message & Phone Sharing is a feature that allows users to send and receive messages and phone calls from their iPhone on their iPad.

2. How do I set up iPhone/iPad Message & Phone Sharing?

To set up iPhone/iPad Message & Phone Sharing, you need to make sure both devices are signed in to the same Apple ID and connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Then, on your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding and select the iPad you want to share messages and phone calls with.

3. Can I use iPhone/iPad Message & Phone Sharing with multiple devices?

Yes, you can use iPhone/iPad Message & Phone Sharing with multiple devices as long as they are all signed in to the same Apple ID and connected to the same Wi-Fi network.

4. Can I make and receive phone calls on my iPad through iPhone/iPad Message & Phone Sharing?

Yes, you can make and receive phone calls on your iPad through iPhone/iPad Message & Phone Sharing. The calls will use your iPhone's cellular network, so make sure your iPhone has a good cellular connection.

5. Is iPhone/iPad Message & Phone Sharing secure?

Yes, iPhone/iPad Message & Phone Sharing is secure. Messages and phone calls are encrypted and can only be accessed by devices signed in to the same Apple ID. However, it is important to note that if someone gains access to your Apple ID, they will also have access to your messages and phone calls on all shared devices.