Irodov 1.1 Relative Velocity

In summary, the problem involves a motorboat and a raft on a river, with the motorboat initially passing the raft at point A. After 60 minutes, the motorboat turns back and passes the raft again at a distance of 6.0 km from point A. To find the flow velocity, it is important to consider the perspective of the raft and the time it takes for the boat to travel. By considering the distance and time traveled by the boat, it can be determined that the flow velocity is 3 km/hour.
razored
1.1. A motorboat going downstream overcame a raft at point A; T=60 minutes later it turned back and after some time passed the raft at a distance l=6.0 km from the point A. Find the flow velocity assuming the duty of the engine to be constant.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|<< Distance S, the entire length
A ---------------------B(where the two boats meet) ---------------C,( the farthest point the motor boat went)
|------------------------| << this is l which is 6km

B= boat
W=water, or raft
E=earth
When I write B/E i mean boat relative to the earth.
Tau is equal to 60 minutes.
http://mathbin.net/equations/8710_0.png

No matter how many times I manipulate the three equations up there, I do not get the answer which is 3 km/hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider it in terms of relative velocity.

When the boat passes the raft, then it is moving off at a relative speed of ... the Velocity of the boat. It goes some distance (60 min * Vb in relative terms) and then turns around.

As it returns it is still going at the same relative velocity isn't it, since they are both still in the same frame of reference of the moving water?

So the return time will be the same as the trip down stream won't it? That makes the total time 2 hours? And from someone looking from the shore they have both ended 6 km down the river?

So ...

Doesn't the relative speed change because it goes against the current--the speed of the raft--on the way back?

Could you post an additional mathematical equation or revise one? Sorry, I understand things better in equation form sometimes.

razored said:
Doesn't the relative speed change because it goes against the current--the speed of the raft--on the way back?

Could you post an additional mathematical equation or revise one? Sorry, I understand things better in equation form sometimes.

Well in the frame of reference of the river there is no current. If the motorboat moves with constant velocity, then the distance the boat travels from the raft,

d = v*t

The time to travel back then is same d, same v so ... same t.

t + t = 2 t

Distance the river traveled in 2 t is 6 km.

6 km /2 t = 6 km / 2 hr = 3 km/hr.

LowlyPion said:
Well in the frame of reference of the river there is no current. If the motorboat moves with constant velocity, then the distance the boat travels from the raft,

d = v*t

The time to travel back then is same d, same v so ... same t.

t + t = 2 t

Distance the river traveled in 2 t is 6 km.

6 km /2 t = 6 km / 2 hr = 3 km/hr.

Thank you! I did not realize to figure out the problem you had to think from the perspective of the raft.

Last edited:

1) What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of one object with respect to another object. It is the rate of change of distance between the two objects and takes into account the motion of both objects.

2) How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity can be calculated using the formula vAB = vA - vB, where vAB is the relative velocity of object A with respect to object B, vA is the velocity of object A, and vB is the velocity of object B.

3) What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects, while absolute velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to a fixed point or frame of reference. Absolute velocity is independent of other objects, while relative velocity is dependent on the motion of other objects.

4) How does relative velocity affect collisions?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of collisions between objects. The relative velocity of two colliding objects can determine the direction and magnitude of their final velocities.

5) Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. A negative relative velocity indicates that the objects are moving in opposite directions, while a positive relative velocity indicates that they are moving in the same direction.