Irreducibility test for polynomials over Fp

In summary, the theorem states that any monic irreducible polynomial over the finite field Fp has degree that divides n. The gcd of two monic irreducible polynomials over Fp is the degree of the first polyomial. If f has degree 5 and gcd(x^p^n - x,f) =f, then the degrees of the factors of f are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
geor
Hello everyone,
I need some help with this one:

I need to write a routine that tests
the irreducibility of a polynomial over Fp,
(where Fp is the finite field with p
elements and p is a prime).

It should take as input: p,the polynomial
and its degree.

It should return TRUE if the polynomial is
irreducible over Fp and FALSE if it's not.

I can use the theorem below:

The polynomial x^(p^n)-x is the product of
all monic irreduble polynomials over Fp,
of degree that divides n.

So, any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anything?..
Anybody?...

How large is p expected to be? With a computer, the brute force method of trying each integer, n, less than p to see if it makes the polynomial equal to 0 shouldn't be too bad.

Well, it's more for the sake of the problem..
Mathematical languages like Maple, already have
routines for that.

Well, use the theorem you were given - write a program to calculate gcds. If for example, you had to test a degree 5 poly, and you worked out the gcd with (x^p)^n - x, then what are the possible degrees of answers?

Remember, you don't need to find the factors, but just find the degrees of the irreducible factors.

Now, take the example above. Suppose n=>5. If f has degree 5, and gcd(x^p^n - x,f) =f, then what does this tell you about the degrees of the factors of f? Well, they must divide n, and sum to 5. What choice of n would be good to give you information?

I'm trying to find a way to prod you in the right direction, but it's hard because it seems obvious to me what you need to do, and I can't find the hint that doesn't just give it away straight away. Surely it should be clear from the fact that you've been given that theorem, that you should test a poly by taking lots of gcds. So just think about how knowing gcds gives you info about the degrees of the factors of f.

Last edited:

Related to Irreducibility test for polynomials over Fp

What is the irreducibility test for polynomials over Fp?

The irreducibility test for polynomials over Fp is a method used to determine whether a polynomial with coefficients in the finite field Fp can be factored into polynomials of lower degree with coefficients in Fp.

Why is the irreducibility test important in mathematics?

The irreducibility test is important in mathematics because it helps to determine whether a polynomial is a prime element in a ring, which has applications in number theory, algebraic geometry, and coding theory.

What are the different forms of the irreducibility test?

There are several forms of the irreducibility test, including the Eisenstein criterion, the Newton polygon method, and the Berlekamp algorithm. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of polynomials.

How does the Eisenstein criterion work?

The Eisenstein criterion states that if a polynomial with coefficients in a ring R can be written as a product of two polynomials of lower degree in R[x], then it must have a constant term that is not divisible by any prime element of R. This can be used to test for irreducibility over Fp by setting p as the prime element and checking if the constant term is divisible by p.

What is the Newton polygon method for testing irreducibility?

The Newton polygon method involves plotting the coefficients of a polynomial on a graph and using the slopes of the line segments connecting the points to determine whether the polynomial is reducible or irreducible. If all the slopes are distinct, then the polynomial is irreducible over Fp.