Irreducible polynomial in Q[x] but redicuble in Z[x]

• Thread starter k3k3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reducible and irreducible polynomials in Q[x] and Z[x]. It is concluded that there exists no example of a polynomial that is irreducible in Q[x] but reducible in Z[x]. The question is deemed nonsensical and it is explained that if a polynomial is reducible in Q[x], it can be written as a fraction times a polynomial that is reducible in Z[x], but this does not mean the original polynomial was reducible in Z[x]. The problem is identified as a logic and problem-solving issue, rather than an algebraic one.
k3k3

Homework Statement

Give an example of a polynomial irreducible in Q[x], but reducible in Z[x]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think there is no example of this. The coefficients of a reducible polynomial with integer coefficients will be rational, or am I mistaken?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question makes no sense. If a polynomial can be factored in Z[x], then it can be factored (with the same factors) in Q[x].

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by this question:
The coefficients of a reducible polynomial with integer coefficients will be rational, or am I mistaken?
Since integers are rational numbers, it's (trivially) true that integer coefficients are rational coefficients. But what does this buy you?

There is an example.

Recall the definition of irreducible:
A non-unit x is irreducible if and only if it cannot be written as yz where y and z are non-units​

Now, as is very often a useful, we simply translate the question according to the definition:

We seek polynomials f,g,h with integer coefficients such that:

• f=gh, and none of f,g,h are units in Z[x]
  • There do not exist non-units u,v in Q[x] such that f=uv

A more symmetric phrasing might be useful, to spot what you're missing:

We seek a polynomial f with integer coefficients such that

• There exist non-units u,v of Z[x] such that f=uv
  • There do not exist non-units u,v of Q[x] such that f=uv

The question is nonsense as written. If a polynomial f(x) in Q[x] is reducible (spelling!) in Z[x], then f(x) = g(x)h(x) were g(x) and h(x) are in Z[x]. We assume that the degrees of g(x) and h(x) are > 0. This means that g(x) and h(x) have integer coefficients. When multiplied, the product polynomial, f(x), must have integer coefficients in the first place.
g(x) and h(x) are also in Q[x], so f(x) IS reducible in Q[x].

The non-trivial result is that if a polynomial in Z[x] is irreducible, then it is also irreducible in Q[x]. This takes a bit of proof and is usually given in a first course in so-called abstract algebra.

zukerm said:
The question is nonsense as written.
Not only does the question make sense, the request can be satisfied.

We assume that the degrees of g(x) and h(x) are > 0. This means that g(x) and h(x) have integer coefficients. When multiplied, the product polynomial, f(x), must have integer coefficients in the first place.
g(x) and h(x) are also in Q[x], so f(x) IS reducible in Q[x].
And thus, we conclude that any example must violate the assumption...

I am still stumped. Do you have another hint to try and make me see what I am missing?

If a polynomial is reducible in the rational numbers, it can be written as a fraction (1 over the least common multiple of the denominators of the coefficients) times a polynomial that is reducible over the integers. That does NOT mean the original poynomial was reducible over the integers.

k3k3 said:
I am still stumped. Do you have another hint to try and make me see what I am missing?
Have you noticed that I've already said:
  • If f=uv is an example, then at least one of u and v are units of Q[x],
  • If f=uv is an example, then at least one of u and v have degree 0?
?

If not then be aware that your problem is not algebra, but logic and its application to problem solving.

Last edited:

Related to Irreducible polynomial in Q[x] but redicuble in Z[x]

1. What is an irreducible polynomial in Q[x] but reducible in Z[x]?

An irreducible polynomial in Q[x] is a polynomial with rational coefficients that cannot be factored into polynomials with rational coefficients. However, the same polynomial may be reducible in Z[x], meaning it can be factored into polynomials with integer coefficients.

2. Can an irreducible polynomial in Q[x] be reducible in Z[x]?

Yes, an irreducible polynomial in Q[x] can be reducible in Z[x]. This is because the set of rational numbers (Q) is a subset of the set of integers (Z), meaning that an irreducible polynomial in Q[x] may have additional factors when considering integer coefficients.

3. What is the difference between Q[x] and Z[x]?

Q[x] represents the set of polynomials with rational coefficients, while Z[x] represents the set of polynomials with integer coefficients. This means that all polynomials in Q[x] are also in Z[x], but not all polynomials in Z[x] are in Q[x].

4. How can I determine if a polynomial is irreducible in Q[x] but reducible in Z[x]?

To determine if a polynomial is irreducible in Q[x] but reducible in Z[x], you can try to factor the polynomial using both rational and integer coefficients. If the polynomial can be factored with integer coefficients but not with rational coefficients, then it is an example of a polynomial that is irreducible in Q[x] but reducible in Z[x].

5. Why does the reducibility of a polynomial change when switching from Q[x] to Z[x]?

The reducibility of a polynomial can change when switching from Q[x] to Z[x] because the sets of coefficients (rational and integer) have different properties. In Q[x], there are more numbers available to use as coefficients, making it more difficult for a polynomial to be irreducible. In Z[x], there are fewer numbers available, making it easier for a polynomial to be reducible.