Irreversible adiabatic expansion in which P_ext=0

In summary, option D is incorrect because the equilibrium pressure in an adiabatic irreversible expansion is not equal to the external pressure.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

In an adiabatic irreversible expansion of ideal gas , if Pext = 0 then which is true,
A. T2=T1
B. Q=0,
C. P1V1= P2V2
D. P1V1γ= P2V2γ

Homework Equations

ΔU = Q - W
For ideal gas, PV= nRT[/B]
ΔU ∝ ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I know Q= 0,
Work done is zero,
So ΔU = 0, hence T2= T1,
So also P1V1 = P2V2,
But why option D is incorrect?
I now,
Also have a problem that why work done is zero. Doesn't the gas will do work in expanding?
Our work done will be zero.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For an irreversible adiabatic process the work done is equal to
W=Pext[V2-V1]
And since Pexternal=0 (as you said) therefore work done is zero here.
NOTE: For a reversible adiabatic process you have a different formula.
You said if gas is expanding then work should be done, but here there is no resistance against the expansion of the gas as Pext=0. Therefore no work is done here for its expansion.
Moreover the D option is a basic result of an adiabatic process therefore it is true here (thats what I think).

Got it, that work done is zero.
mooncrater said:
Moreover the D option is a basic result of an adiabatic process therefore it is true here (thats what I think).
That d option is false, I have seen the answer key.
How they are getting is the main problem.

I think for derivation of PVγ = constant for adiabatic expansion,
We take ΔU = -W,
⇒ nCvdt = -P dv = - (nRT/V) dv
The fact we are taking P = nRT/V is incorrect in irreversible I guess. Is that correct?

Raghav Gupta said:
The fact we are taking P = nRT/V is incorrect in irreversible I guess. Is that correct?
Yup... I think you are (absolutely) correct. If in the question its not given that the equilibrium pressure is equal to the external pressure then ideal gas equation can not be applied on this pressure. More over we have to equate external pressure to the internal pressure to derive the result of option D. Derivation (of my book ) is attached in which this step is performed.
AQbCAeJ7DJgJJd9ThB3XWfQ0.jpg

Sorry for:
mooncrater said:

Raghav Gupta said:
Got it, that work done is zero.

That d option is false, I have seen the answer key.
How they are getting is the main problem.

I think for derivation of PVγ = constant for adiabatic expansion,
We take ΔU = -W,
⇒ nCvdt = -P dv = - (nRT/V) dv
d is true only for an adiabatic reversible expansion, where Pext=P. It is not true for your irreversible adiabatic expansion. Solve the problem for the adiabatic irreversible expansion, and you will see that the answer is different.

Chet

Likes mooncrater
Thanks, the derivation part I know already.

Chestermiller said:
d is true only for an adiabatic reversible expansion, where Pext=P. It is not true for your irreversible adiabatic expansion. Solve the problem for the adiabatic irreversible expansion, and you will see that the answer is different.

Chet
But how I will integrate in irreversible expansion, when I don't know how pext is changing as a function of something?

Wait all of you. For a moment it seemed I knew everything but now it is seeming that here PV^ gamma can be constant , where P is gas pressure.

Raghav Gupta said:
But how I will integrate in irreversible expansion, when I don't know how pext is changing as a function of something?
Pext is a constant... why will it change with time?

mooncrater said:
Pext is a constant... why will it change with time?
Irreversible expansion. See this link ChesterMiller's reply in which he is saying P ext can be varied.

Chestermiller said:
For an irreversible process, we can control Pext as a function of time t during the deformation to be whatever we wish.
(Emphasis is mine)
You can control Pext externally by yourself. You can change it to any value you want but if you have given it a constant value then it won't change by itself.
Consider an example: If you put some water in a bucket (say 20ml) then it is your choice that you have put 20 ml water in it. It won't change with time (no evaporation) until you change it by yourself.

Likes Raghav Gupta
Getting expression after solving,
T2 - T1 = -Pext(V2-V1)/Cv
Now, we don't know about gas pressure from all this but only about external pressure.
How then one can say d option is incorrect?

Raghav Gupta said:
Getting expression after solving,
T2 - T1 = -Pext(V2-V1)/Cv
Now, we don't know about gas pressure from all this but only about external pressure.
How then one can say d option is incorrect?
You can't use the ideal gas law for all the states that the gas passes through as it expands, but the initial and final states of the gas are thermodynamic equilibrium states, so you can use the ideal gas law for those. Also, you've already been told in the problem statement that Pext=0 during the expansion, so you know immediately that T2=T1. From this, you can determine P2, which is not the same as Pext, since, once the expansion is manually constrained to end at V2, the gas pressure re-equilibrates to P2. Pext=0 is present only during the expansion.

Chet

Likes Raghav Gupta
Got it. Thank you to both of you.

Likes mooncrater

Related to Irreversible adiabatic expansion in which P_ext=0

What is irreversible adiabatic expansion?

Irreversible adiabatic expansion is a process in thermodynamics where a gas expands without any heat exchange with its surroundings and without any change in external pressure.

What does "P_ext=0" mean in irreversible adiabatic expansion?

"P_ext=0" means that the external pressure on the gas during the expansion process is equal to zero, indicating that there is no external force acting on the gas.

Why is irreversible adiabatic expansion important in science?

Irreversible adiabatic expansion is important in science because it helps us understand how gases behave under different conditions and how energy is conserved in a closed system.

What are some real-life examples of irreversible adiabatic expansion?

Examples of irreversible adiabatic expansion include the expansion of compressed air in a can, the expansion of a balloon when air is released, and the expansion of gas in a car engine.

How is irreversible adiabatic expansion different from reversible adiabatic expansion?

Irreversible adiabatic expansion is a one-way process that cannot be reversed, while reversible adiabatic expansion is a process that can be reversed by changing the external pressure. Additionally, irreversible expansion results in a decrease in temperature, while reversible expansion does not.