Is 4^(2n)-1 Divisible by 15? Proving with Induction

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that 4^(2n)-1 is divisible by 15 for all positive integers, one can use induction by first showing that 4^(2n) = 15k_n + 1 for some integers k_1 = 1, k_2, k_3, ..., and then proving that 4^(2(k+1))-1 is a multiple of 15 by assuming 15|4^(2k)-1 and rewriting it as 15n=4^(2k+2)-1. This can be easily shown by factoring the expression and using properties of divisibility.
cragar

Homework Statement

Prove [itex] 4^{2n}-1 [/itex] is divisible by 15 for all positive integers

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I factor it into this
[itex] (2^n+1)(2^n-1)(4^n+1) [/itex]
I know how to get the factor of 3 because we know
2^n is even so either 2^n+1 or 2^n-1 is divisible by 3 because we have 3 consecutive integers so at least one of them needs to be divisible by 3.
But I am not sure how to get the factor of 5.
I thought about squaring some of their components and looking how close they
are to 4^n+1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the cases when n is odd and n is even. You should be able to obtain a factor of 5 from different terms in each case.

Did you not notice that [itex]4^2 = 16 = 15 + 1[/itex]?

That suggests a proof, by induction on [itex]n[/itex], that [itex]4^{2n} = 15k_n + 1[/itex] for some integers [itex]k_1 = 1, k_2, k_3, \dots[/itex].

You may also use the factorisation of:

[itex]
\left ( x^n - 1 \right ) = \left ( x - 1 \right ) \left ( x^{n-1} + \ldots + 1 \right )
[/itex]

zeesh said:
I don't think that thinking would get you to the solution.

Of course it would. Induction is a perfectly reasonable method of proof here.

Assume [itex]4^{2k}-1=15N[/itex] for some integer N, and now prove that [itex]4^{2(k+1)}-1[/itex] is a multiple of 15.

Well, I have found a solution :

Let us assume that 42n-1 is divisible by 15.
So, we have

16n-1 is divisible by 16-1 ...

Since 16n-1 = 16n - 1n ... it takes the form of an-bn is divisible by a-b. Just prove that it is possible and you have it ...

That's not exactly induction, but rather the method that jfgobin detailed, except that assuming 42n-1 is divisible by 15 does absolutely nothing for your proof.

Yeah it requires proof by induction. Its pretty straight foward. You have a base case. Let n=1 and show it works. Then for the inductive case basically what you assume that
15|4^(2k)-1 where k ε Z. Moreover we want to show that 15|4^(2k+2)-1. Then rewrite the notation as such were 15r=4^(2k)-1 where rεZ and 15n=4^(2k+2)-1 where nεZ. Also notice that 15n=4^(2k+2)-1 is just 15n=4^(2k)*16. From there its pretty much easy.

1. How can I prove that a number is divisible by 15?

To prove that a number is divisible by 15, you can use the divisibility rule for 15 which states that if the sum of the digits of the number is divisible by 3 and the last digit is either 0 or 5, then the number is divisible by 15.

2. Can I use long division to prove divisibility by 15?

Yes, you can use long division to prove that a number is divisible by 15. Divide the number by 15 and if the remainder is 0, then the number is divisible by 15.

3. Is there a shortcut to prove divisibility by 15?

Yes, you can also use the divisibility rule for 3 and 5 simultaneously. If the sum of the digits is divisible by both 3 and 5, then the number is divisible by 15.

4. Can I use prime factorization to prove divisibility by 15?

Yes, you can use prime factorization to prove that a number is divisible by 15. If all the prime factors of a number are also factors of 15, then the number is divisible by 15.

5. What is the significance of proving divisibility by 15?

Proving divisibility by 15 can be helpful in solving more complex mathematical problems. It can also be used to simplify fractions and determine the factors of a number.