Is a 100% Efficient Machine Considered a Perpetual Motion Machine?

• Thread starter YashaTheBest
  • Start date
In summary: The conversation is about whether a machine that is 100% efficient but does not produce more energy than it uses can be considered a perpetual motion machine. In summary, the conversation concludes that a machine must produce more energy than it uses in order to be considered a perpetual motion machine, regardless of its efficiency.
YashaTheBest
Can perpetual motion machine not produce extra energy just be 100% efficient and still be considered a perpetual motion machine?

I understand the laws of thermodynamics states that a machine cannot make more energy than it uses. But theoretically if you remove all the losses and have a 100% efficient machine could I call it a PMM or it has to produce more energy to be called a PMM.

This question is purely whether or not can I call it a PMM.

Physics news on Phys.org
A PMM (which does not exist) does work. Your hypothetical machine (which ALSO does not exist --- there's no such thing as zero load) does no work so it is not a PMM

phinds said:
A PMM (which does not exist) does work. Your hypothetical machine (which ALSO does not exist --- there's no such thing as zero load) does no work so it is not a PMM

This doesn't answers my question.

I know that It doesn't exist and I'm not claiming anything. I do not need people saying "it is impossible" or "does not exist" or "there is no such things". I simply want to know whether or not can I call 100% efficient machine a PMM.

Since there isn't any such thing, I'm not at all clear that it MATTERS what you call it.

As I specifically said in my post, a PMM does work and yours doesn't so yours isn't a PMM. Was that not clear?

I think that, by definition, a PMM has to output more work than is input. So a machine that just breaks even is not a PMM.

See the wiki for pmm: it defines several types.

Related to Is a 100% Efficient Machine Considered a Perpetual Motion Machine?

1. What is PMM?

PMM stands for "Percona Monitoring and Management." It is a free and open-source platform used for monitoring and managing the performance of databases.

2. What are the main features of PMM?

PMM offers a variety of features, including real-time monitoring of database performance, customizable dashboards, query analytics, and alerting capabilities. It also has the ability to monitor multiple database types, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB.

3. How does PMM help with database performance?

PMM provides real-time monitoring of database metrics, allowing users to identify and troubleshoot performance issues quickly. It also offers query analytics, which can help optimize database queries for better performance. Additionally, PMM's alerting system can notify users of any potential performance issues.

4. Is PMM difficult to set up and use?

PMM has a user-friendly interface and provides step-by-step instructions for installation. It also has a robust community support forum for any questions or issues that may arise. While some technical knowledge may be required, PMM is generally considered user-friendly and easy to use.

5. Is PMM suitable for all types of databases?

PMM is compatible with a variety of database types, including MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and Amazon Aurora. However, it may not be suitable for all databases, as some features may be limited or not available for certain database types. It is recommended to check the compatibility of PMM with your specific database before use.