Is a Cosmology PhD a Dead End or a Gateway to Diverse Career Opportunities?

• Thread starter susskind_leon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, the cosmologist has doubts about whether or not a PhD in cosmology is the best way to go if one wants to pursue a career in cosmology. He believes that there are other more interesting and useful areas of physics to pursue.
susskind_leon
I've asked a similar question earlier already, but I want to be more specific now.
I'm contemplating doing a PhD in cosmology (mainly numerical analysis of galaxy observations). It's a good group with a good international standing. I'm just a bit worried about the time after my PhD. How specialized in cosmology/astronomy would I be after a PhD in that area? Is there a way to get into a less competitive field like condensed matter, stat. mechanics, cold atoms, ... after that, assuming that I did a good job in cosmo or is the only way to do my PhD in the field that I want to end up in?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure it draws more people than CM but for good reasons, it is a much more stirring subject. I don't think it is a dead end at all(it's not string theory). Also, it sounds like from the type of research you'll be doing you'd be well positions for non-academic jobs after the Ph.D. if need be.

Hi, thanks for you reply. By dead-end, I just meant, is there a way cosmo -> CM after the PhD, especially taking into account that I've been working numerically a lot or will I be committed to cosmo forever?

Having done a PhD in observational / numerical cosmology, I do not feel at all qualified for any kind of industry job in condensed matter or related fields. I've done nothing at all in those fields; I'd be as useless as an undergrad (no offense to undergrads).

If you work on something heavily numerical (i.e. massive galaxy formation simulations), that gives you computational skills that are marketable elsewhere. Also it's not hugely difficult to move from one heavily computational field to another (i.e. numerical cosmology -> CFD or numerical finance.)

The problem with cosmology is that when people think cosmology they think big bang and string theory, which moves things away from the problems which I think are more interesting and useful.

twofish-quant said:
If you work on something heavily numerical (i.e. massive galaxy formation simulations), that gives you computational skills that are marketable elsewhere. Also it's not hugely difficult to move from one heavily computational field to another (i.e. numerical cosmology -> CFD or numerical finance.)

The problem with cosmology is that when people think cosmology they think big bang and string theory, which moves things away from the problems which I think are more interesting and useful.

Well how could you expect most people to think any differently? Anytime I have searched on the internet or read anything in a science magazine about cosmology more often than not they are talking about inflation, big bang nucleosynthesis, galactic spiral arms, GRB's, etc...I mean this is what cosmologists study right? Or am I mislead?

I think these subjects are very interesting and captivating to read about, even when I myself may not be interested in pursuing a career in it. Also, I would think(from what I have read) that someone who could get a PhD in Cosmology could honestly tackle anything, and probably has quite a bit of a skill set, hence could go into other fields with not too much trouble. Is this not what cosmology is like?

nlsherrill said:
Anytime I have searched on the internet or read anything in a science magazine about cosmology more often than not they are talking about inflation, big bang nucleosynthesis, galactic spiral arms, GRB's, etc...I mean this is what cosmologists study right? Or am I mislead?

Just to clarify, I meant quantum gravity and string theory, which has turned out to be useless to cosmology so far. Also there is a lot here that is missing. Galactic evolution and the dark ages are pretty active.

Also, I would think(from what I have read) that someone who could get a PhD in Cosmology could honestly tackle anything, and probably has quite a bit of a skill set, hence could go into other fields with not too much trouble. Is this not what cosmology is like?

Cosmology gets you some useful skills, but it's not any different from say condensed matter theory or predicting hurricanes. What I think gets missed is that cosmology is an highly experimental area of physics.

lubuntu said:
Sure it draws more people than CM

What? Do you know so?

lubuntu said:
I don't think it is a dead end at all(it's not string theory). Also, it sounds like from the type of research you'll be doing you'd be well positions for non-academic jobs after the Ph.D. if need be.

So you have managed to a rigorous rebuttal to String Theory as a candidate then?

Related to Is a Cosmology PhD a Dead End or a Gateway to Diverse Career Opportunities?

1. How do we know that cosmology is a dead-end field?

It is not accurate to say that cosmology is a dead-end field. While there are certainly unanswered questions and ongoing debates within the field, there is also a wealth of evidence and research that supports our understanding of the universe. Cosmology is a constantly evolving field and there is still much to be discovered and understood.

2. What are the limitations of cosmology?

Like any scientific field, cosmology has its limitations. One limitation is that we can only observe a small portion of the universe, making it difficult to draw conclusions about the entire universe. Additionally, our current technology and understanding of physics also limit our ability to fully understand the complex processes and phenomena in the universe.

3. Can cosmology ever be proven wrong?

Cosmology is a constantly evolving field, so our understanding and theories may change as new evidence and data is collected. However, this does not necessarily mean that cosmology can be completely proven wrong. Our understanding of the universe is built upon a vast amount of evidence and research, and any new theories or discoveries must be able to explain and fit within this existing framework.

4. What are the biggest unanswered questions in cosmology?

There are several unanswered questions in cosmology that continue to be the subject of research and debate. Some of the biggest questions include: What is dark matter and dark energy? What is the true shape and size of the universe? How did the universe begin and what will be its ultimate fate? While we have made significant strides in understanding these questions, they are still ongoing areas of study.

5. Is cosmology just speculation and not based on empirical evidence?

No, cosmology is not just speculation. While there may be some aspects of cosmology that are still theoretical and unproven, the field is heavily based on empirical evidence. Scientists use a variety of tools and methods, such as telescopes and mathematical models, to collect and analyze data from the universe. This data is then used to support and refine our understanding of the universe and its many mysteries.