Is a delay in getting BSc important for admission to MSc?

In summary, the speaker is studying for a Bachelor of Physics in Italy and plans to apply for a MSc in Physics at universities in Germany or the UK. They are concerned about not being able to complete their degree in the expected time of 3 academic years and whether this will negatively impact their chances of admission. The speaker's grades are good and they are unsure of the weight given to a delay in the degree compared to grades and degree final mark. They are seeking advice on this matter.
Soren4
I'm currently doing my Bachelor of Physics in Italy, my projects for the future are to apply for a MSc in Physics in some good European universities in Germany or in the UK. (Just to say, I was thinking about München or London).

Unfortunately I'm not sure I will be able to end my studies in the expected time (3 academic years) but probably will end in the middle or at the late beginning of a extra year.

My question is: is a "not - in - time" degree (with like some months of delay) something looked very badly from (especially european) universities?

The marks I'm acheiving are quite good and in my view that would be something more important than a delay in the degree but I'm not an expert of the usual selection criteria.

So is a delay in the degree taken into consideration or even not looked at by universities? In the case it is something important, is it more important than marks and degree final mark?

Thanks for your advices

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer specific to European universities. In North America, it's not a big deal. Most schools look at your cumulative or field-specific grade point average. Few, if any, asses applicants via grade point velocity.

The only caveate to this is that the reason for the delay can play a larger role. If you take extra time because you have to hold down a job as an undergrad, have family responsibilities, are involved in a competitive sport, or are otherwise doing something productive, it's all good. On the other hand, you're expected to accomplish a lot in graduate school. If the only way you can do well is by avoiding a standard course load that's a potential flag. Even that is not a game-limiting factor though - just something you should personally take time to assess so you can decide if you can be successful in an environment with increased demands.

1. What is a BSc and MSc?

A BSc (Bachelor of Science) and MSc (Master of Science) are both academic degrees in the field of science, with a BSc being an undergraduate degree and an MSc being a graduate degree.

2. Is it necessary to have a BSc to pursue an MSc?

Generally, yes. Most MSc programs require applicants to have a BSc in a related field in order to be considered for admission. However, some programs may also accept students with a different undergraduate degree if they have relevant experience or coursework.

3. How does a delay in getting a BSc affect admission to MSc programs?

A delay in getting a BSc can potentially affect your admission to an MSc program, as most programs have a strict timeline for completing prerequisite coursework and degree requirements. It may also impact your competitiveness as an applicant.

4. Can I still apply for an MSc if I have a delay in getting my BSc?

Yes, you can still apply for an MSc program if you have a delay in getting your BSc. However, you may need to provide a clear explanation for the delay and demonstrate your readiness and ability to succeed in the program.

5. Are there any other factors that may be considered in lieu of a BSc for MSc admission?

Yes, some MSc programs may consider relevant work experience, research experience, or other academic achievements in lieu of a BSc. It is important to check with the specific program for their admission requirements and any alternative options they may offer.