Is a magnet acting on a bearing detrimental?

In summary: It is possible that a magnet could cause wear on the bearing if it were to act on it constantly, but this is extremely unlikely.
pete
I have a 28x15x7 stainless steel bearing mounted close to a powerful magnet and the magnet courses some drag when the bearings turns. This is no problem in this design, it’s a hand operated lever so very low rpm and I was even thinking that a magnet might me a good way to add some dampening to the action but I’m wondering if having a magnet acting on a bearing like this has any long term detrimental effect on the bearing it’s self?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of bearing is it? Rolling element, fluid film, sleeve, or what?

Normal bearing. Deep groove, rubber sealed bearing. Two Raceways a cage and some balls. I was thinking that in motion the lubrication is supposed to form a film and the component parts are all supposed to adapt certain positions of reduced contact but with the magnet there maybe things would be pulled out of place and start to wear on each other? but then again there's an acceptable amount of misalignment of load on these things and the force the magnets pulls on them is so small compared to the load they are carrying.

The term "normal bearing" really does not say much at all. There are dozens of other bearing types, none of them abnormal. It is only when you begin to describe the construction (deep groove, two raceways, a cage, some balls, etc) that you begin to communicate what your bearing type is.

pete said:
I was thinking that in motion the lubrication is supposed to form a film and the component parts are all supposed to adapt certain positions of reduced contact but with the magnet there maybe things would be pulled out of place and start to wear on each other?
Certainly - as any other type of static load will cause the exact same effect.

I thought it would be the same but then a load acts upon the raceway that acts on the bearing and so on but the magnet acts on the components individually and also it can, and in this case would, pull them from the side or any other direction as the load was acting down on them.

1. What is a bearing and how does it interact with a magnet?

A bearing is a mechanical component that is used to reduce friction between moving parts. It is typically made of metal and has small balls or rollers inside that allow for smooth rotation. When a magnet is near a bearing, it can attract or repel the metal components, causing interference with the bearing's function.

2. Can a magnet cause damage to a bearing?

Yes, a magnet can potentially damage a bearing. When a magnet pulls or pushes on the metal components of a bearing, it can cause them to warp or deform, leading to decreased performance or complete failure of the bearing.

3. How strong does a magnet have to be to affect a bearing?

The strength of a magnet needed to affect a bearing depends on a variety of factors, including the size and material of the bearing, the distance between the magnet and the bearing, and the strength of the magnetic field. Generally, stronger magnets will have a greater impact on bearings, but even weaker magnets can cause damage if they are in close proximity for a prolonged period of time.

4. What are the symptoms of a bearing being affected by a magnet?

The most common symptom of a bearing being affected by a magnet is increased friction and resistance in the rotation of the bearing. This can result in noise, vibrations, and decreased performance of the equipment that the bearing is a part of. In severe cases, the bearing may completely fail and need to be replaced.

5. How can I protect bearings from magnets?

The best way to protect bearings from magnets is to keep them at a safe distance from each other. This can be done by using non-magnetic materials for bearings or by adding a shield or barrier between the magnet and the bearing. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspection of bearings can help identify any potential issues caused by magnets before they become serious problems.