Is a noninterventionist policy viable for the US?

• Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
In summary: While some may argue that his "big stick" foreign policy was effective, it ultimately led to numerous interventions by the US in foreign affairs, some of which were failures. This article suggests that there is increasing public support for a non-interventionist foreign policy, in contrast to the interventionist policies that have been prominent in US history. The author believes that these interventions have been costly and largely ineffective, with a mean rating of -0.8 post-WWII. They invite discussion and well thought out responses for or against a non-interventionist policy by the US, excluding ideologically-driven sources.
SW VandeCarr said:
BTW I'm waiting for Czcibor to respond to my post 30. He proposed that the EU's function is to rebuild after the US "carpet bombing". This is a rather odd post in a thread proposing nonintervention. It would be on topic if the thead was supporting interventions. As it is, it's off topic and IMO uncalled for. If I don't get a response, I'll report it. In fact, I already did since you're PF Staff.
It seems that you failed to understand my answer, but luckily Russ explained it to you. Hope that's simple enough, because I can't use any simpler language.

Anyway, we had here a Russian paid troll (moderators already reacted). Interesting change in strategy. Now the idea seem instead of trying to put their great leader and great nation in good light (which seems to be up hill struggle), they try to convince people that's not their business, and shall not defend attacked countries. Seems more workable.

SW VandeCarr said:
I will state my point as clearly and succinctly as I can. You can't establish long term stability by throwing resources at those who will not, for whatever reason, defend themselves. That goes for Iraq, what's left of it, and Europe. Europe will have to work out its own solutions as regards Russia. It is a dangerous situation. I don't think you are suggesting that US forces should directly engage Russian forces on or near Russia's borders.

Because you're doing it wrong. Some people even tried to explain on this forum how it shall be done:

nikkkom said:
West can give Ukraine as much money as it needs - and for the West, the needed sums will actually look modest. $100 billion? EU just forgave as much to Greece!

And additionally, West can use these money as a stick - Ukrainian kleptocrats have no one else to turn to. Whatever reforms West demands, they will HAVE TO implement.

It will not be "doing ukrainians' job for them", it will be "helping them": Ukrainian public pushes for reforms as hard as it can, right now.

The only problem, how to make Western bureaucrats to appoint a *competent* team to oversee this project? I have no illusions that Western bureaucracy is an *efficient* mechanism. We just saw how US poured about a trillion dollars into Iraq, with almost no visible results.

nikkkom said:
The idea is to NOT give lots of money at once. Give a little (a few billions), and demand specific changes. If changes do not happen, refuse to give more money until they do. Right now, Ukrainian government will have absolutely no choice but to do what is asked of it. Unlike past governments, they can't possibly turn to Russia, you know :) [if they try to do anything like that, they will probably be caught and executed by angry mobs].

Eventually, if this method succeeds, after many installments, total may end up somewhere in 50-100 billion dollars range. It would be well worth it. Losing Ukraine to Russia would create a far bigger threat than Russia currently is.
(Yes, it was a Ukrainian that called his own gov kleptocrats)
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/ukrainian-mess.739067/page-44

Or if you want to read about state building and outsider enforced reforms under peace conditions we have here one Portuguese which would explain it to you:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-report-on-a-sick-man-of-europe-portugal.814756/

Last edited:
Likes nikkkom
Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
I think most mothers teach their kids these principles

That may have been true when your and my mothers were teaching kids, but I'm not sure it's still true. Of course it's hard to judge just from media coverage, but the general impression I get is that mothers are now teaching their kids that it's not their job to deal with bullies, it's the school's job. Or at least mothers aren't doing anything to disabuse the kids of that notion, which is what the schools are teaching them.

In other words, the current trend is to centralize dealing with bullies, rather than to decentralize it. I'll leave the analogy with international politics as an exercise for the reader.

SW VandeCarr said:
the rating system was scaled with +2 being an all out victory as in WWII

I would not rate WWII as an all-out victory. One of the key stated war aims of WWII for the Allies was to save Eastern Europe from totalitarian government. At the end of WWII, Eastern Europe was in the hands of the Soviet Union, which by any reasonable measure was a worse totalitarian government than Nazi Germany.

="Czcibor, post: 5141029, member: 339234]
Because you're doing it wrong. Some people even tried to explain on this forum how it shall be done:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask for a clarification again. Who's doing what wrong? Anyway, materially supporting Ukraine is not a novel idea and I have no objections. However, Russia can reverse any Ukrainian territorial gains and, if it chooses, launch an all out invasion. What does Europe do then?

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask for a clarification again. Who's doing what wrong? Anyway, materially supporting Ukraine is not a novel idea and I have no objections. However, Russia can reverse any Ukrainian territorial gains and, if it chooses, launch an all out invasion. What does Europe do then?

I mean for example your way of state building in Iraq. In case of Ukraine both EU and USA did very moderate things both on military and economic level.

Which part of Europe you mean exactly? I guess that somehow moderate amount of Polish military equipment would mysteriously appear in Ukraine. And some volunteers. In both cases my gov would claim not knowing anything about it. Polish ability to fully accept a challenge in a war is based on whether we're going to be backed up by someone strong like USA or Germany + France + UK. In such case I'd expect openly sending tanks with superior air cover provided by that power.

Are you going to blast me for irresponsible behaviour of France or Germany? You know, sounds for me as fair as blaming American for shortcomings of Mexico... Same continent and they are in NAFTA with you...

Czcibor said:
I mean for example your way of state building in Iraq. In case of Ukraine both EU and USA did very moderate things both on military and economic level.

As I've been saying recent past US interverventions have been mostly unsuccessful. Maybe Europe could do it better, but I'm not aware of any example.

Are you going to blast me for irresponsible behaviour of France or Germany? You know, sounds for me as fair as blaming American for shortcomings of Mexico... Same continent and they are in NAFTA with you…

I'm not blasting you. I'm blasting Europe for the reasons I've already detailed. I'm also blasting the US for its continuing interventionist mind set while we deal with significant budget shortfalls (which would be illegal in the EU), massive wealth inequality, failing primary and secondary education, crumbling infrastructure, a do nothing Congress. and much more. Your country happens to be a victim of the failure of your western partners. You can't do anything about that, and frankly, neither can the US. Here's why. Putin is "twitchy". That means his behavior is unpredictable. We don't know what he's going to do next, because in all likelihood, he doesn't know what he's going to do next. The best antidote to this is a united and militarily strong Europe. As long as Europe depends on the US for defense and fails to invest in its own defense, there is no reason for them to change their behavior. Having said that, the US is not going to change its policy anytime soon. It will stand with Europe until Europe tells the US to back off and seeks an accomodation with Russia. That will happen if Europe believes there is the slightest chance of a nuclear exchange, even at the tactical level. They will undercut the US and give Russia what it wants because they want to avoid a nuclear conrfrontation at virtually any cost. At least that's my view, having observed European behavior for, shall I say, a long time.

BTW The relationship between Mexico and the US is nothing like the relationships among the EU member states.

[Moderator update: removed bold font.]

Last edited:
In re reading my above post, I want to be clear that by "Europe" I mean the EU, and particularly as represented by its largest members (by population and GDP): Germany, UK France and Italy. I know Poland and the Baltic States have different views as does a smaller majority of the UK.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
Do you think the UN has been successful in preventing wars or aggression?
Since the UN was created in response to a catastrophic world war and not smaller wars or aggression of which there had been many before 1945, it makes sense to judge the UN against the world war standard (zero since creation) and not some vague notion of universal peace, regardless of what UN leadership might say or do. Whenhttps://www.summitlodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/leonardo_dicaprio_un_summit_a_l.jpg I don't expect the UN to be capable of much beyond enabling major world powers to talk to each other before resorting to an armageddon.

It is not fair to claim there are no similarities between the country relationships in the EU and the relationship between Mexico and the US. True, there's no common currency and no central government ala Brussels. But US-Mexico trade volume (exports plus imports) is over $500 billion per year. And it is mistake to think Mexico is universally a poor developing country sharing a border with a universally rich neighbor. The Mexican middle class is about 28% of the population, or ~34 million people which is roughly the size of the population of Canada. By middle class I mean a demographic with a per capita consumption comparable to the middle class in France and the UK.

mheslep said:
It is not fair to claim there are no similarities between the country relationships in the EU and the relationship between Mexico and the US. True, there's no common currency and no central government ala Brussels. But US-Mexico trade volume (exports plus imports) is over $500 billion per year. And it is mistake to think Mexico is universally a poor developing country sharing a border with a universally rich neighbor. The Mexican middle class is about 28% of the population, or ~34 million people which is roughly the size of the population of Canada. By middle class I mean a demographic with a per capita consumption comparable to the middle class in France and the UK.

Show me where I said anything about Mexico's economic status. It is a rising economic power, partly but not only because of investments by US corporations. I would also say that the situation in Europe at the time of the signing of the Treaty of Rome (1958) went much further than the situation with the US and Mexico today.

Besides, this was a mere example. It's really off topic to go into any further discussion of this.

My point was not that there are no differences but that there are many similarities despite your claim of "nothing like". See trade agreements, some demographic similarities, large volume of legal immigration and tourism, cooperation between domestic law enforcement agencies, etc.

Closed pending moderation.

The thread will remain closed. This is not a social science topic, but a politics topic.