Is a Single Bearing Pedal Possible for Bicycles and Motorcycles?

In summary: Using conventional materials, it would need to support a lot of force and have a large diameter, making it inconvenient for limited space around a pedal crank. The advantage would be easier wheel changes. Some folding bikes already use a single bearing pedal, but it is still a double bearing on a shorter spindle. To achieve a single bearing pedal, a four point contact bearing would be needed, which can be found at several manufacturers and sources of information.
christian everett
I have seen motorcycles and bicycles with only one front fork and I was wondering if the mechanics would be similar enough to make it possible to manufacture a bicycle pedal that has only one bearing where the pedal screws into the crank and no shaft passing through the body of the pedal.
Using conventional materials would it be possible for the assembly to support the forces without failure.
This is mostly a design challenge, weight reduction is not really the goal here.

Attachments

• cdal-folder-front-786386.jpg
    cdal-folder-front-786386.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 463
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
Possible, perhaps but what would the be the advantage? Such a bearing would need to have a big diameter which would be inconvenient as there is limited space around a pedal crank. What sort of design were you contemplating?
The picture of a half-fork doesn't imply a single bearing; it seems to imply the same arrangement as an conventional pedal / crank; a bearing at each end of a cantilever spindle. What would be the advantage - apart form making a wheel change easier?
I had a folding bike once and, as far as I can remember, those pedals must have had a single bearing, half way out and they could be folded into the vertical plane, when rotated about the middle. Try googling folding bike pedals and you'll see the sort of thing I mean. But I'd bet the bearing was still a double ion a cantilever - just a shorter spindle.

Those single front forks have two bearings in the headset and two more in the axle.

A single bearing pedal is possible using a four point contact bearing (search the term):
upload_2018-11-20_15-22-3.png

Several manufacturers make them, here is a good source of information on how and where to use them: https://www.kaydonbearings.com/white_papers_7.htm.

A single bearing pedal is possible, but it would be heavy and expensive.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-20_15-22-3.png
    upload_2018-11-20_15-22-3.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 567

What is a one bearing bicycle pedal?

A one bearing bicycle pedal is a type of bicycle pedal that uses only one bearing to support the rotation of the pedal. This means that there is only one point of contact between the pedal and the crank arm.

How does a one bearing bicycle pedal differ from other pedals?

A one bearing bicycle pedal differs from other pedals in that it only uses one bearing instead of multiple bearings. This can make it lighter and less expensive, but also less durable and smooth.

What are the advantages of using a one bearing bicycle pedal?

The main advantage of using a one bearing bicycle pedal is that it is usually lighter and less expensive than other pedals. It can also provide a different riding experience, as there is only one point of contact between the pedal and the crank arm.

What are the disadvantages of using a one bearing bicycle pedal?

The main disadvantage of using a one bearing bicycle pedal is that it may not be as durable or smooth as other pedals. The single bearing can wear out more quickly and may not provide as smooth of a rotation as multiple bearings.

Can a one bearing bicycle pedal be used for all types of riding?

Yes, a one bearing bicycle pedal can be used for all types of riding. However, it may not be suitable for high intensity or competitive riding, as it may not provide as much support and durability as other pedals with multiple bearings.