Is a vacuum balloon posible? Theoretical material?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of buoyancy and its application in relation to a balloon with nothing inside. While it may seem intuitive that a larger balloon would be able to hold more weight, the surface area to volume ratio actually decreases as the balloon gets bigger, making it more difficult to hold a vacuum. Thus, using helium or hydrogen at atmospheric pressure is a more practical option.
NanoChrisK

Homework Statement

So, I was sitting in my algebra based college physics class and we were talking about buoyancy. According to Archimedes' Principal, "an object that is completely or partially submerged in a fluid experiences and upward force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced.":

Fb = mg

It got me to thinking, why not just make a balloon with nothing inside of it? Wouldn't that float a lot better than a balloon filled with helium, or even hydrogen? The problem is that without anything inside of the balloon to counteract the force of the atmosphere, the balloon will collapse.

A quick google search shows that I'm not the first person to ask this question. One person said:

"build it LARGE. This makes for the greatest amount of interior space as opposed to the structure that contains it."

Makes enough sense. The surface area/volume ratio actually gets smaller as the balloon gets bigger. The surface area gets smaller relative to the volume as the balloon gets larger. Intuitively, this doesn't make sense to me though. The rigid balloon material would need to be thicker for a larger balloon, would it not?

Homework Equations

(see attachment)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got nothing. Somehow you need to account for all of the unknowns: mass, thickness, and density of the material, as well as the size of the balloon.

Attachments

• vacuumballoon.jpg
    vacuumballoon.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 577
Physics news on Phys.org
NanoChrisK said:
The rigid balloon material would need to be thicker for a larger balloon, would it not?
Right.

We had some calculation here in the forum recently. A vacuum balloon is possible, but helium or hydrogen are way easier as you can use them at atmospheric pressure with a very thin hull.

Related to Is a vacuum balloon posible? Theoretical material?

1. Is a vacuum balloon possible?

Yes, a vacuum balloon is theoretically possible. However, it has not yet been successfully created and tested.

2. How does a vacuum balloon work?

A vacuum balloon works by creating a large difference in air pressure between the inside and outside of the balloon. This pressure difference creates a lifting force that allows the balloon to float in the air.

3. What materials would be needed to create a vacuum balloon?

The materials needed to create a vacuum balloon would need to be lightweight, strong, and able to maintain a seal to keep the vacuum inside. Some possible materials could include lightweight metals, composite materials, or specialized fabrics.

4. What are the potential applications of a vacuum balloon?

A vacuum balloon could potentially be used for transportation or exploration in space, as it would not require the use of fuel like traditional rockets. It could also have applications in high-altitude research or surveillance.

5. What are the challenges in creating a vacuum balloon?

Some of the challenges in creating a vacuum balloon include finding materials that can withstand the extreme pressure difference, maintaining a seal to keep the vacuum inside, and designing a structure that can withstand the stresses of lifting and maneuvering in the air.