Is ABS or Stainless steel more inert? (moved to Engineering)

In summary, the conversation discusses the best material to use for flexible downpipes in a home, specifically for toilets and kitchen use. The options available in the market are stainless steel or ABS, and the question is which material is more resistant to common home liquid wastes and chemicals. The conversation also mentions the importance of checking local building and plumbing codes to ensure proper installation and avoid any issues with home insurance claims. The recommended material is ABS, which should be rigid with glued fittings and not corrugated. It is also important to install vent stacks to prevent sewage gas buildup. The conversation ends with the advice to look up the local building codes for a safe installation.
kenny1999
I'm going to purchases some flexible downpipe for my home, for toilets and kitchen, in the market I can find mainly stainless steel or ABS, which material is usually more inert to common home liquid wastes and chemicals? From time to time I will flush some drain unclogger or other cleaning chemicals down the pipes.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you checked your local building and plumbing codes? They might specify what materials you are allowed to use. Not following codes could mean that your home insurance won't pay in case of a future claim.

anorlunda said:
Have you checked your local building and plumbing codes? They might specify what materials you are allowed to use. Not following codes could mean that your home insurance won't pay in case of a future claim.
I haven't heard about this in my country. I don't have home insurance either, nothing valuable, or too valuable that it is priceless to be claimed (e.g. old pictures)

In this country, ABS is a preferred material. It should be rigid with glued fittings, not flexible and definitely not corrugated. Look for ABS pipe, fittings and glue marked DWV (drain, waste and vent) and don’t forget to install vent stacks through the roof to prevent sewage gas buildup. You should look up your local building codes to ensure a safe installation.

Likes Astronuc
kenny1999 said:
I haven't heard about this in my country. I don't have home insurance either, nothing valuable, or too valuable that it is priceless to be claimed (e.g. old pictures)
Your country, like every other developed country, has a plumbing code. Search term (your country) plumbing code will easily find it.

Likes Astronuc and russ_watters

1. What is the definition of inert?

Inert refers to a substance that is chemically inactive or unreactive. This means that it does not easily undergo chemical reactions with other substances.

2. What is ABS?

ABS stands for acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, which is a type of thermoplastic polymer commonly used in manufacturing.

3. What is stainless steel?

Stainless steel is a type of alloy that contains a high percentage of chromium, which gives it its resistance to corrosion and makes it suitable for use in various applications.

4. Which material is more inert, ABS or stainless steel?

Stainless steel is generally considered to be more inert than ABS. This is because stainless steel has a higher resistance to chemical reactions and corrosion compared to ABS.

5. What factors affect the inertness of a material?

The inertness of a material can be affected by various factors, including its chemical composition, surface properties, and exposure to external factors such as temperature, pressure, and other chemicals. Additionally, the intended use and environment of the material can also play a role in its inertness.