Is AC energy really transferred as EM wave?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of AC electricity and its relation to electromagnetic waves. The experts suggest using different models to understand electricity, including quantum electrodynamics, fields, and circuits. They also clarify that electricity is the flow of charge, while electromagnetic waves are generated by accelerating electrons. The experts also explain that metal conductors can be used for RF shielding to protect users from danger caused by electromagnetic radiation.
Biocool said:
Does electrons emit EM waves during their movenment in conductors? What is the magnitude of the energy loss?

I'm sure they do, but remember that other than the surface electrons, the electrons are inside of the conductor, so any EM waves are quickly absorbed and turned into heat.

jartsa said:
IMHO the magnitude of the loss of kinetic energy is huge, because acceleration is huge.

But what is the time frame for the acceleration? Is the electron being stopped almost completely, or is it mostly just scattering off a bit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quandry said:
Skin effect is explained by a very simple concept and by looking at the field distribution of a straight line conductor.
The field strength is strongest at the centre of the conductor. As the AC current varies the field collapses and regenerates in opposing directions according to the frequency. The varying field induces a reactive impedance (back emf) in the conductor which varies with field density. This impedance is strongest at the centre of the conductor and weaker at the surface. Since current follows the least impedance path, the current tends to flow in the conductor surface (the skin).
You will find that in high power high frequency transmitter sites the HF power conductors are hollow copper tubes. Not because they conduct better, but because to fill them is a waste of copper.
straight-wire-strength2.png
Oh, your explanation is clear and helpful. I suppose I get it. Besides, could you please explain from Wiki perspective? I have attached it at the first page. Perhaps, you will feel it interesting as well. Thx a lot.

jartsa said:
IMHO the magnitude of the loss of kinetic energy is huge, because acceleration is huge.

Do the Math. What is the Mass involved? (One electron per atom ) what is the drift velocity? (Say 1mm/second) How much KE would there be in 1g of wire?

Likes nsaspook and anorlunda