Is Alchemy Allowed in Scientific Forums?

• Thread starter alchemical
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion about alchemy is not allowed on this platform as it falls under the category of non-mainstream theories. This information can be found in the Terms & Rules section, where it is stated that only topics from textbooks or reputable journals are allowed. Non-mainstream theories, including alchemy, are not considered acceptable sources for discussion.
alchemical
Ok, let's get this straight once and for all, chemists and moderators. I've read the rules and no where does it say that talk of alchemy isn't allowed. However, in my introduction one of the moderators mentioned that discussion about alchemy wasn't allowed. Is he mad? What is the official word?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
alchemical said:
Ok, let's get this straight once and for all, chemists and moderators. I've read the rules and no where does it say that talk of alchemy isn't allowed. However, in my introduction one of the moderators mentioned that discussion about alchemy wasn't allowed. Is he mad? What is the official word?
Alchemy is not a science and as such not an allowed topic. It falls under the category of non-mainstream theories.

alchemical said:
What is the official word?
You can find the official word by going to the INFO menu at the top of any page here, and choosing "Terms & Rules." Basically:
We wish to discuss mainstream science.That means only topics that can be found in textbooks or that have been published in reputable journals.
By textbooks and journals, we mean reasonably current ones. See the section Non-mainstream theories for examples (not an exhaustive list) of things that we don't discuss here. See the section Acceptable sources for information about journals and other sources that are OK.

Related to Is Alchemy Allowed in Scientific Forums?

1. What is "Alchemy not allowed in forums"?

"Alchemy not allowed in forums" is a policy that prohibits the discussion or promotion of alchemy in online forums.

2. Why is alchemy not allowed in forums?

Alchemy is considered a pseudoscience and has no scientific evidence to support its claims. Therefore, discussing it in scientific forums goes against the principles of science and can mislead others.

3. Can I share my personal experiences with alchemy in forums?

No, personal experiences with alchemy are not considered scientific evidence and can still mislead others. It is best to refrain from sharing such experiences in scientific forums.

4. Is there a specific reason for not allowing alchemy in forums?

Aside from lacking scientific evidence, discussions about alchemy can also be a distraction from legitimate scientific discussions and can create confusion among forum users.

5. Can I discuss alchemy in non-scientific forums?

Yes, as long as the forum allows it and you are not promoting it as a legitimate scientific practice. However, it is important to be respectful of others' beliefs and not impose your views on others.