Is AlphaZero a Scientific Breakthrough in AI?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chess
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of machine learning and neural networks in solving complex problems, particularly in the game of chess. The mention of AlphaZero, a program that has surpassed the abilities of Stockfish, raises questions about the limits of AI and the Church-Turing thesis. The conversation also touches on Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem and the book "The Emperor's New Mind" by Roger Penrose. The conversation ends with recommendations for further reading and videos on neural networks and AI.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
You chess fans out there might find https://chess24.com/en/read/news/deepmind-s-alphazero-crushes-chess interesting. No domain-specific knowledge required!

Technology news on Phys.org
That's amazing! (Yes)

...which leads me to the question "Can we construct an algorithm that, given the rules of math, teaches itself math and consequently arrives at solutions for problems currently unattainable for humans". Maybe not in this era but I certainly don't know that.

greg1313 said:
...which leads me to the question "Can we construct an algorithm that, given the rules of math, teaches itself math and consequently arrives at solutions for problems currently unattainable for humans". Maybe not in this era but I certainly don't know that.

I think Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem puts the lid on finding out all of mathematics (there are infinitely many theorems). But we already have theorem-provers doing some pretty amazing things. You can pay to have a theorem named after you, for crying out loud. I believe Mathematica can do things people can't do, even given enough time.

All this to say, I am no strong Church-Turing thesis guy. I'm more with Roger Penrose in his book The Emperor's New Mind, one that I would highly recommend.

I work with machine learning on a daily basis in my day job, so I've really become interested in these types of projects. Neural networks have become absolutely amazing with regards to the types of problems they can solve. Stockfish has been the gold standard of chess for years now and AlphaZero actually calculated less potential moves than Stockfish on average. Instead it will search for patterns that lead to optimal outcomes.

This is a great video series on neural networks if you are interested. I find them truly fascinating.

[YOUTUBE]aircAruvnKk[/YOUTUBE]

Jameson said:
I work with machine learning on a daily basis in my day job, so I've really become interested in these types of projects. Neural networks have become absolutely amazing with regards to the types of problems they can solve. Stockfish has been the gold standard of chess for years now and AlphaZero actually calculated less potential moves than Stockfish on average. Instead it will search for patterns that lead to optimal outcomes.

I am working on deep learning as well but as part of the Masters program. For those interested to see some battles between stockfish and AlphaZero watch this with some commentary

[YOUTUBE]lFXJWPhDsSY[/YOUTUBE]

1. What is AlphaZero Crushes Chess?

AlphaZero Crushes Chess is an artificial intelligence program created by Google's DeepMind that has achieved groundbreaking success in the game of chess.

2. How does AlphaZero Crushes Chess work?

AlphaZero Crushes Chess uses a combination of deep neural networks and reinforcement learning techniques to teach itself how to play chess at an extremely high level.

3. What makes AlphaZero Crushes Chess different from other chess programs?

Unlike traditional chess programs which rely heavily on human input and strategies, AlphaZero Crushes Chess learns from scratch and creates its own unique strategies based on reinforcement learning.

4. How successful has AlphaZero Crushes Chess been?

AlphaZero Crushes Chess has achieved unprecedented success, defeating the world champion chess program Stockfish by a score of 28 wins, 72 draws, and 0 losses in a 100-game match.

5. What impact does AlphaZero Crushes Chess have on the future of artificial intelligence?

AlphaZero Crushes Chess has shown the potential for artificial intelligence to surpass human capabilities in complex tasks, and has opened the door for further advancements in AI and machine learning.