Is an Arduino starter kit a great Christmas gift for a tech-savvy teenager?

In summary, an Arduino starter kit can be a great Christmas gift for a tech-savvy teenager. This kit includes all the necessary components for building and programming basic electronic projects, making it perfect for a teenager interested in technology and hands-on learning. The Arduino platform is also widely used and supported, providing plenty of resources and opportunities for learning and creativity. Additionally, the kit allows for endless possibilities and can be expanded upon as the teenager's skills and interests grow. Overall, an Arduino starter kit is a thoughtful and practical gift for a tech-savvy teenager who enjoys tinkering and creating.
Borek
Mentor
This is not engineering (perhaps a social engineering :wink:).

I am thinking about Christmas gifts and I decided one of those I have to buy can be some reasonable Arduino starting kit. Question is - what does it mean "reasonable starting kit"? Target: bright teenager with some programming experience and no knowledge about electronics.

Any advice? What to look for, what to avoid, any particular good sets you are aware of? Model, make, clone?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might consider getting them a Microchip Pic based system instead (unless they've specifically mentioned arduino): Pickit2 Debug Express or Pickit2 Starter Kit from Microchip is what to get. It's great because there is plenty of documentation with it on a CD and can get them going right away doing some embedded programming (programmer included) via the actual chip manufacturer (comes with Microchip windows software to program it in C).

From what I understand, Arduino is left over from the initial days of some guys getting an integrated embedded dev platform going as a diy project and is still alive only due to its initial popularity. But you can get into equivalent ARM dev systems (iphones) for around the same price now which are more commercial. The Microchip Pic chips are great because you can start small with the simple ICs and work up to more advanced... or move to other platforms (ARM, AVR, Arduino, etc) later once they get going. It's all basically the same electronics-wise no matter what label gets put on it. But reliable documentation as a guide makes all the difference (vs buying clone programmers, piece meal'd systems,etc at first).

Last edited:
I would include the materials and URL from the first six tutorials in this series of Arduino tutorials. A good soldering iron wouldn't be needed right away but would be eventually. Another thing that I might include is a cheap remote-controlled car to disassemble for parts. I was able to pick up one for $5 at a local Dollar Store which was much cheaper than buying the parts individually. For $5, you get the controller, motor and wheels. The motors alone can run over $10 at an electronics store.

I found in Poland starting kits with some diodes, breadboards, cables, resistors, transistors, micro switches and whatnot.

Bought two.

I am not a teenager, and I am no longer bright, but I know a little bit about programming and I can afford some fun :biggrin:

Borek said:
This is not engineering (perhaps a social engineering :wink:).

I am thinking about Christmas gifts and I decided one of those I have to buy can be some reasonable Arduino starting kit. Question is - what does it mean "reasonable starting kit"? Target: bright teenager with some programming experience and no knowledge about electronics.

Any advice? What to look for, what to avoid, any particular good sets you are aware of? Model, make, clone?

You can buy a knockoff for 12$, a breadboard @ radioshack and a soldering iron and LED's and you already have your super cheap homemade starters kit. If you want to do a more user friendly approach just buy the starter kit at the arduino website.

I have to say the "real" Arduino starter kit is quite cool, and has been a hit with my 8-12 grade students.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoStarterKit

The box includes a very nice book with programming projects and enough components to keep one occupied for quite some time. The projects are really interest grabbers; some examples: a love-o-meter using a temp sensor, a magic 8 ball using a tile switch, etc. The programs are premade and just need to be uploaded on a project by procject basis, meaning that customization/exploration is super easy. It really is the best purchasable thing in hobby electronics I've found as an educator.

In one 50 minute class period an 8th grade student built the light theremin project and programmed it to the awe of other students. Good stuff.

1. What is an Arduino and how is it related to Christmas gifts?

An Arduino is a small, programmable microcontroller board that can be used to create a variety of electronic projects. It is often used by hobbyists and students to learn about electronics and programming. During Christmas, people may give Arduinos as gifts to encourage creativity and learning.

2. What can you do with an Arduino?

With an Arduino, you can create a wide range of electronic projects, including robots, interactive art installations, home automation systems, and more. The possibilities are endless and are only limited by your imagination and programming skills.

3. Is an Arduino suitable for beginners?

Yes, an Arduino is a great option for beginners who are interested in learning about electronics and programming. It has a user-friendly interface and a vast online community that provides tutorials, resources, and support for beginners.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge to use an Arduino?

While having some basic knowledge of electronics and programming can be helpful, it is not necessary to use an Arduino. The platform is designed to be beginner-friendly and has plenty of resources available for learning.

5. How much does an Arduino cost?

The cost of an Arduino can vary depending on the model and where you purchase it. On average, a basic Arduino board can cost anywhere from $10 to $30. However, there are also more advanced and specialized models that can cost up to $100.