I'm 16 and want to study physics, should i take a gap year?

In summary, this person is from Greece and is interested in pursuing a career in physics. They are currently in high school and have a long road ahead of them before they can finally pursue their career goals. They are currently proficient in math and physics, but they would like to become even better. They are also interested in learning more about other scientific disciplines. They have read about gap years and decided that taking one would not be a good idea for them. They believe that taking a gap year would slow them down and would not help them achieve their goals. They have found a university that is close to home and they are currently studying to obtain their degree in physics.
alex1515
I was fascinated with physics since i was 14, when i actually began my learning journey, i got into Newtonian mechanics and eventually learned some electronics and programming. Noticing the math that was involved, i decided to first get started with math before i proceed into learning physics. The idea of attending college has never bothered me until now. So i would need some advice on this topic. I'm from Greece by the way.
Well, recently I've found out that in order to obtain a degree in physics (Theoretical/Experimental), one has to be proficient in many different topics, such as math,physics,chemistry and biology,and I've been thinking of the time required in order to obtain such knowledge, and it looks like that i still have a long road to go. I'm in high school right now (7 hours/day!), which annoyingly interferes with my learning, and i self-study every day for about 4-6 hours, the rest 1-2 hours go into trying to explain and exercise what i just learnt, obviously i only spend 10-20 minutes into studying for school because i don't want to waste much of my ACTUAL learning time. Furthermore, in my country conscription(which i despise) is still a thing, lucky for me i have some eyesight problems, so i won't be serving in the army anytime soon(that's +9 months . The time i have left looks plenty, but i can't be entirely sure without first confirming it, so I'm left with the question: Is a gap year before college worth it? If so then what would be the advantages and disadvantages of doing so before attempting to enter college?
Main goal:
My main goal is to become a successful researcher in the field of physics(theoretical preferably) and make some contribution to the field if possible, i plan to achieve this goal through continuous exploration and hard work. I'm already determined about what i'll be doing AFTER college. I've already read some threads like this so i know what's out there.
Current knowledge:
• As for my current knowledge in math, I've mastered algebra(l,ll),geometry(which i found really cool ,trigonometry(also fascinating) and calculus(single variable only), and my problem solving is currently limited to the subjects that i just mentioned.I generally love math and don't have any sort of problem with it.
• About the physics, I'm currently reading The evolution of physics(by Einstein and i'd REALLY urge you to give it a go), but sadly the only things I've learned so far is Newtonian mechanics and a little bit of electronics.
• I was able to make a joystick-controlled stepper motor with the aid of Arduino , so i also have some background in programming,specifically C and C sharp.
And that's pretty much all i have to say, if you had the patience to read through it, then I give you my warm thanks for the attention. Any answers will 100% receive a like if they prove helpful :wink:. Ask a question if you feel like it. Thanks a ton.
Bonus Question: Is it a good tactic that i first get super proficient in math before i finally get to study physics?

Likes Ethan Singer
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you take a gap year to study physics when you could be following an actual university physics program?

Likes Vanadium 50, alex1515 and russ_watters
Orodruin said:
Why would you take a gap year to study physics when you could be following an actual university physics program?
Thank you for your reply.
Does this mean that when i finish high school, i will be prepared to begin my studies? If so then of course i would choose to begin.

Why would a university program be tailored to require more prerequisites than students obtain in high-school? That would make no sense.

I don’t know about the Greek system, but assuming your high-school program was reasonably directed towards scientific subjects, it should prepare you for physics studies.

A university physics program generally includes mathematics courses sufficient to understand the physics. Anything else would be quite absurd.

Likes bhobba and alex1515
Orodruin said:
Why would a university program be tailored to require more prerequisites than students obtain in high-school? That would make no sense.

I don’t know about the Greek system, but assuming your high-school program was reasonably directed towards scientific subjects, it should prepare you for physics studies.

A university physics program generally includes mathematics courses sufficient to understand the physics. Anything else would be quite absurd.
So I've searched for universities near my region and I've found Aristotle university which happens to be 10 minutes away from home xD. And indeed there are some fine programs. So by the looks of it, taking a gap year would just slow me down if I'm right. It typically lasts 5-6 years according to a friend of mine. As for the scientific subjects in my high school, the last thing we learn in math is derivatives, and in physics we learn basic electronics in practice(resistors, diodes, caps etc). I'll be back in a few hours, sorry if I've kept you waiting

Likes bhobba

1. What are the benefits of taking a gap year before studying physics?

Taking a gap year before studying physics can provide you with valuable life experiences and opportunities for personal growth. It can also give you time to explore your interests and solidify your decision to study physics. Additionally, a gap year can provide you with the chance to save money, gain work experience, and travel before entering a rigorous academic program.

2. Will taking a gap year affect my chances of getting into a good physics program?

Taking a gap year will not negatively impact your chances of getting into a good physics program. In fact, many universities view gap years as a positive experience and value the maturity and independence gained during this time. However, it is important to use your gap year wisely and have a plan for how you will spend it.

3. Can I still apply to colleges during my gap year?

Yes, you can still apply to colleges during your gap year. In fact, taking a gap year may give you more time to research and apply to a wider range of programs. Make sure to check with each university's admissions policies to see if they allow gap year applications and what their specific requirements may be.

4. Will I fall behind academically if I take a gap year?

Taking a gap year will not necessarily cause you to fall behind academically. Many students use their gap year to enhance their skills and knowledge in subjects related to physics, such as math and computer science. It is important to have a plan for how you will continue learning during your gap year, whether through work, internships, or self-study.

5. How can I make the most out of my gap year before studying physics?

To make the most out of your gap year before studying physics, it is important to have a clear plan and goals in mind. Consider gaining relevant work experience, volunteering in a physics-related field, or taking courses to supplement your knowledge. Additionally, use your gap year to explore your interests and gain new experiences that will contribute to your personal and academic growth.