Is anyone else fascinated with the chernobyl disaster?

• Chernobyl
  • Thread starter nuclear-boy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chernobyl
In summary, Alf loves abandoned cities, especially Chernobyl because it's so mysterious. He has a few questions for the author, and is curious about the zone of alienation. He doubts it would be easy to sneak into the reactor, but would like to try one day. He's only thirteen, so in fifteen years he thinks the zone may still be abandoned and radioactive.
nuclear-boy
hi,

i only discovered yesterday that there are abandoned cities around the chernobyl nuclear plant,

and now I am so fascinated by it lol, and i want to visit it one day,
there is seriously nothing i would rather do in my life than go there, sad? maybe.

ive got a few questions -

how many people live there?
how much to the guided tours cost?
is there still parts of the reactor and the zone that are very radioactive and a severe health risk?

is it possible to go into the reactor core and actually find the fuel rods and other parts of the core?

is it easy to sneak into the zone, and to sneak into the reactor? lol

im only 13, so, in say 15 years, do you think it still be abandoned and still nice and radioactive? lol

thanks, alf.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does your fascination with it come from the fact that it's abandoned? Because there's lots of other abandoned places around the world. There's a place in Pennsylvania that is pretty much completely abandoned due to an underground fire. That's somewhere probably closer to you and probably just as dangerous.

There's some videos on youtube of people walking around Chernobyl.

I was under the impression the plant itself (or at least the reactor) was surrounded in a huge concrete structure called the sarcophagus and that you couldn't remain to close to it for too long.

Going to the core is out of the question.

You might want to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

Just to give you a basic understanding of what you could/couldn't do on a visit.

I have to agree though, there are far better abondoned places to visit (such as the town mentioned above - coal fires I believe like in Silent Hill).

I love the 'creepy factor' of places like this and would love to visist a few of them one day. Although Chernobyl isn't top of the list.

leroyjenkens said:
Does your fascination with it come from the fact that it's abandoned? Because there's lots of other abandoned places around the world. There's a place in Pennsylvania that is pretty much completely abandoned due to an underground fire. That's somewhere probably closer to you and probably just as dangerous.

There's some videos on youtube of people walking around Chernobyl.

yes, but also because i find radiation fascinating, and you might just discover somethin creepy like a rabbit with 1000 eyes lol just kidding. and it would be fun to go into the reactor.

nuclear-boy said:
yes, but also because i find radiation fascinating, and you might just discover somethin creepy like a rabbit with 1000 eyes lol just kidding. and it would be fun to go into the reactor.

You can't. I'm sure the area is still considered high risk and that you can only spend short periods there.

Why would you want to go into the reactor anyway?

Type in a ride through Chernobyl.

I would recommend reading the article about the rabbits at Chernobyl in this post.

Maybe you can also pick up a lesson or two, while in the process.

Last edited:
nuclear-boy said:

Most people find radiation fascinating because, to them, it's sort of mysterious. If you learn a lot about it, you probably won't find it as fascinating.

The abandoned city itself is very fascinating, I think. The city is pretty much untouched (Except by looters) and it looks like an old soviet city. As far as I know, it's not that hard to gain permission to the city. But I am not so sure about the zone of alienation. But I doubt entrance to the Chernobyl Plant or anywhere close to it is open to the public, and you may not want to go there anyway. Radiation isn't that funny.

There was a fantastic documentary on (I think) the Discovery Channel about Chernobyl, the disaster, and the aftermath.. Check Discovery's site for it -- you can probably purchase it on DVD.

1. What exactly happened during the Chernobyl disaster?

The Chernobyl disaster was a nuclear accident that occurred on April 26, 1986 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine. The accident was caused by a combination of design flaws in the reactor and operator errors during a safety test. This led to a series of explosions and a fire that released a large amount of radioactive material into the atmosphere.

2. How did the Chernobyl disaster affect the surrounding area?

The immediate effects of the Chernobyl disaster were devastating, with 31 people dying from the explosion and fire and many more being exposed to high levels of radiation. The disaster also had long-term effects on the environment and human health, including increased rates of cancer and other health issues in the surrounding area.

3. Was the Chernobyl disaster preventable?

In hindsight, it is clear that the Chernobyl disaster could have been prevented. The design flaws of the reactor, as well as the lack of proper safety protocols and training for the operators, all contributed to the accident. However, it is important to note that at the time, the Soviet Union was focused on developing nuclear technology and did not prioritize safety measures.

4. Have there been any other nuclear disasters on the same scale as Chernobyl?

The Chernobyl disaster is considered to be one of the worst nuclear disasters in history. However, there have been other nuclear accidents that have caused significant damage and loss of life, such as the Fukushima disaster in 2011 and the Three Mile Island accident in 1979. These disasters serve as important reminders of the potential dangers of nuclear energy.

5. Is it safe to visit Chernobyl now?

The area surrounding the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant is still highly contaminated with radiation, making it unsafe for long-term visits. However, there are guided tours available that allow visitors to see the site from a safe distance. It is important to follow all safety precautions and guidelines when visiting the area to minimize exposure to radiation.