Is anyone good at special relativity? the twin paradox?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a problem involving special relativity and the twin paradox. The problem involves a pilot accelerating away from Earth for 10 years, then decelerating for 10 years, and repeating the process to return to Earth. The student is stuck on finding the pilot's time and distance as seen from Earth, and has received guidance on how to approach the calculations. The conversation ends with the expert offering further assistance if needed.
khfrekek92
Is anyone good at special relativity? the "twin paradox?"

Homework Statement

In the problem a pilot accelerates away from Earth for 10 years, then decelerates the same way for 10 years, then turns around and repeats the whole process to return to earth. His acceleration is given by 2g(1-exp(-rt)) Where g=9.8 and r=1/(3 years). Now I'm stuck finding the pilots (1) time and (2) distance as seen from EARTH.

Homework Equations

{c*sinh[(2g/c)(t'+(1/r)exp(-rt')-(1/r)]}/{2g-2gexp(-rt')} All evaluated from 0 to t'

and:

l=int[v(t)dt] where t={c*sinh[(2g/c)(t'+(1/r)exp(-rt')-(1/r)]}/{2g-2gexp(-rt')} and v(t')=ctanh[(2g/c)(t'+(1/r)exp(-rt)-(1/r)]

The Attempt at a Solution

(1)This one I've mostly gotten right I believe, my teacher told me to plug in all times as seconds, so for t' i put in 10 years=3.156*10^8sec, then do I need to put r in as seconds too? that would make it 1/(94670777.9 sec)? After evaluating the integral I got that it took 582016 years, which I multiplied by 4 to get the entire trip to be 2.33*10^6 years. Is this right? I'm almost certain that is right but I'm just checking ;)

(2) Now to get the distance as seen by Earth i need l=int[v(t)dt], but I only have v in terms of t'. So I used t={c*sinh[(2g/c)(t'+(1/r)exp(-rt')-(1/r)]}/{2g-2gexp(-rt')} to try to get v(t')=ctanh[(2g/c)(t'+(1/r)exp(-rt)-(1/r)] in terms of t alone. But no matter how hard I try, there is still at least ONE t' leftover in my v(t) equation, always in the form of exp(-rt') How do I get rid of this?? I'm so lost! :( Any help I would be eternally grateful for! Thanks so much in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, I am familiar with the twin paradox and special relativity. I have worked on similar problems and I would be happy to assist you with your questions.

Firstly, for your first question about the pilot's time as seen from Earth, your approach seems to be correct. However, I would recommend using consistent units throughout your calculations, so it would be better to convert the r value to seconds as well.

For the second question about the distance as seen from Earth, you are on the right track by trying to get v(t) in terms of t alone. One way to do this is by using the identity: exp(-rt') = 1/exp(rt), which can help eliminate the t' term in your v(t) equation. You can also try using the chain rule to manipulate the equation and eliminate the t' term.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need more clarification. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Is anyone good at special relativity? the twin paradox?

1. Is anyone actually good at understanding special relativity?

Special relativity is a complex and highly mathematical theory, so it takes a significant amount of study and practice to fully understand it. However, many scientists and physicists have a good understanding of the theory and are able to use it to make accurate predictions and explanations.

2. Can someone explain the twin paradox in simple terms?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment that illustrates the effects of time dilation in special relativity. It involves two twins, one who stays on Earth and one who travels through space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns, they will have experienced less time than the stationary twin due to the effects of time dilation.

3. Is the twin paradox a real phenomenon?

While the twin paradox is a thought experiment, the effects of time dilation in special relativity have been observed and confirmed in experiments such as the Hafele-Keating experiment. However, the twin paradox scenario is not possible in real life due to the limitations of current technology.

4. How does the twin paradox relate to the concept of relativity?

The twin paradox is a perfect example of the relativity of time and space in special relativity. It shows that time is not absolute and can be experienced differently by different observers depending on their relative speeds and positions. This is a fundamental concept in special relativity.

5. What are some practical applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications in modern technology, such as in GPS systems and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, including the behavior of objects at extremely high speeds and the laws of electromagnetism.