Is Beckham making the right decision by delaying his move to America?

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, Beckham delayed his move to LA Galaxy so he can try and win a trophy with Madrid. He is coming to America to play in Spain until the end of the Spanish season and then take a three-week break. He will play in LA until the end of the MLS season and then take a three-week break. His wage packet will be $1 million per week, £1/2 million.
Schrodinger's Dog
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tm_he...objectid=18452033&siteid=94762-name_page.html
HOORAY ..THEN HOLLYWOOD
EXCLUSIVE + Beckham signs for LA Galaxy Becks: I want to win one last trophy before going to Los Angeles
By Oliver Holt, Chief Sports Writer

DAVID BECKHAM delayed his mega-money move to America for six months so he can make one last desperate bid to win a trophy with Real Madrid.

Beckham is so haunted by his four years of failure at the Bernabeu that he put his £128million deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy on hold until the end of the Spanish season.

His Madrid contract runs until the end of June but bosses at Major League Soccer would have bankrolled his move to the Galaxy in time for the start of the American season in April.

"Even though Fabio Capello seems to be blaming what he calls 'the veterans' for Madrid's current troubles, David still wants to try and turn things round," said a source close to the former England captain.

"The main reason for the timing of the move to the States is that he still believes that he can make an impact on the rest of Madrid's season.

"He won so much when he was at United and he hates the idea of leaving Madrid after four years without having won a trophy for the supporters who have been so good to him."

Even though Beckham has fallen firmly out of favour with Real boss Capello, he is determined to have one last crack at ending his Spanish drought.

Real are still involved in the Champions League and trail La Liga leaders Sevilla by five points, and even though the Spanish season does not end until late June, Beckham wants to see out his time in Madrid.

He will play in Spain until the end of the season and then take a three-week break.

He will arrive in Los Angeles after the MLS All-Star break in July to try to help the Galaxy qualify for the end of season play-offs and will play in the central midfield role he covets, according to his new manager Frank Yallop.

But Gary Lineker claimed Beckham was entering "semi-retirement" with his move.

Lineker said: "It is tantamount to semiretirement like when I went to play in Japan. I helped introduce football there and earned a few quid in the process."

Apparently his wage packet will be $1 million per week, £1/2 million. Slightly more than I get where I work. Is he worth $52 million a year for American soccer? I wonder?

The master of the free kick is coming to the US, are you blown away by the news or couldn't you care less?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What an idiot.

He's even calling the game "soccer".

This quote's priceless:

"David Beckham coming to MLS might be viewed by some as one of the most important moments for soccer in this country and perhaps the history of professional sport," MLS commissioner Don Garber said in a statement.

What a deluded ****spud.

Obviously, Posh made him do it - I hear she's going to take the chathost scene by storm :rolleyes:

Beckham: you are a fool of the highest order.

J77 said:
Obviously, Posh made him do it - I hear she's going to take the chathost scene by storm :rolleyes:

She definitely made him do it- just think of the increase in money he'll get now!

However, David's, ruined his football career. I'd much rather see him playing for someone like Spurs- you never know, he might get back in the England team then! When you think back to the kid who scored from the halfway line and remember saying that he was the future of english football... should never have left old trafford!

He had to leave OT - got too big for Fergie and Keane.

I'd've liked to have seen him go to West Ham - to show some loyalty at the end of his career.

Not that MLS rubbish.

Yea, I know he had to go- I'm just sick of the years of seeing the likes of darren fletcher trying to fill his spot. Not all that bothered now though, as we've got at least two good wingers... still not impressed with the way that fergie plays fletcher so often!

West Ham? Good idea, but (a) did you reall expect beckham to show some loyalty? and (b) west ham aren't the best team to go to at the minute are they; they're awful!

Yeah - loyalty was out of the question - maybe not with Becks but with Posh.

You don't need anyone to fill Becks's boots this year - not with Ronaldo playing the way he is!

Keane - possibly. Fergie should've gone all out to get Essian!

Yeah, Ronaldo is amazing this year! Saying that, Giggs is having a good season as well, especially seeing as though it'll be one of his last.

Not replacing Keane was one of Fergie's greatest mistakes in my opinion. Saying that, however, he put Alan Smith in there, and he did a good job for the few games he played, although we know what happened to him! However, if Smith had played there more and more, I think he'd get fed up, and wander up-front, thus leaving us with the same problem! Essien's a good shout- competing with chelsea for players is tough though.

Anyway, one word to sum up how successful we'll be this year... Larsson!

I have to say for almost everybody with a couple of neurons in Spain this guy is a kind of "animal de feria" (a freak) in & out of a soccer field. He does not know how to play, he is fed by the stupidity of some teenagers (specially girls) that love him and also by the lack of common sense of the 50-60's population without any educational formation that btw is driving spain towards the ruin. Personally I think he is a dolly and he never will be representative of the good soccer, specially he will never be representative of the sportive part of the legendary Real Madrid, and he is much worse by far than Lineker. I think this guy is one example of how Marketing theory can exhibit a **** in front of you and make you believe that it's a diamond.

Last edited:
Apparently now the most highly paid sportsperson in the world. While I do think he's an idiot, you've got to give it to him that he's not doing badly for himself.

J77 said:
Lineker on Beckham (from the beeb):

"It's tantamount to a semi-retirement isn't it?"
Brilliant! Almost as good as the Ali G interview of the Beckhams for Comic Relief. That was priceless.

Argh I can't stand it. The game is called football. *tears hair out*

Kurdt said:

:rofl:

INDEED

marlon

Kurdt said:

I agree. I knew an American lad a few years ago, and he was always talking about *soccer.* It was so annoying, and now whenever I read the word, it has an American pronunciation in my head. Grr.. damn him!

Whether or not you like him as a player, this will do wonders for MLS. The marketing potential is massive. MLS will actually be on espn and in the news. Now it is rumored the brazilian Ronaldo might goto NY Red Bulls and Edgar Davids to FC Dallas.

side note: Excited to see Clint Dempsey play for Fulham!

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Whether or not you like him as a player, this will do wonders for MLS. The marketing potential is massive. MLS will actually be on espn and in the news.

I bet the games will be on TV here in the UK too. When Beckham moved to Real, suddenly sky sports decided to air every match that Real played in La Liga; that's how popular he is!

Now it is rumored the brazilian Ronaldo might goto NY Red Bulls and Edgar Davids to FC Dallas.

I heard that about Ronaldo a while ago. Can these teams really afford to pay these huge players' wages?

cristo said:
I heard that about Ronaldo a while ago. Can these teams really afford to pay these huge players' wages?

Yeah Ronaldo rejected an offer by NY several months ago, but NY will make another huge push as it feels the beckham pressure. MLS teams actually have very wealthy investors.

Greg Bernhardt said:
MLS teams actually have very wealthy investors.

I'm afraid I know hardly anything about the American game! It seems a good idea though, if the teams can afford the players. I'm sure their addition will help raise the profile of MLS. I'll watch out for the games to be broadcast in England next season!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Whether or not you like him as a player, this will do wonders for MLS. The marketing potential is massive. MLS will actually be on espn and in the news. Now it is rumored the brazilian Ronaldo might goto NY Red Bulls and Edgar Davids to FC Dallas.

side note: Excited to see Clint Dempsey play for Fulham!

I actually had an alterior motive for posting this on the PF other than the fact I thought this was an interesting development anyway, I wanted to gauge the level of interest in football from the US. Judging by the number of American posters on the forum and the number who have posted so far, I'd say the popularity is still a bit low. Unless I'm making the wrong assumptions about nationality.

Hopefully this move if nothing else will help to make soccer more popular, especially if other big name players move to the American leagues.

I think David knows he's not much longer for the game, perhaps this is the best way to retire gracefully?

Well whateveranyone thinks of the league or the players one has to be utterly disgusted of the amount of money talked about here. I mean a million dollars a week for 5 years is just crazy.

I don't know why you are disgusted, but I can think of a few people who're likely a lot more disgusted than you are.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/soccer/01/06/mls.salaries.sa/index.html

A list of MLS player compensation figures for 2004 being circulated by the Major League Soccer Players Union and obtained by Soccer America lists Freddy Adu as the highest paid player at $500,000 in 2004, although his base salary is listed at $300,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
I'd say the popularity is still a bit low. Unless I'm making the wrong assumptions about nationality.
Compared to other sports it absolutely is still low. But it's growing every year. Soccer will never be a top 3 sport. It will always be American Football, Baseball and Basketball. But soccer does have a place in American sports and be successful.

Kurdt said:
Well whateveranyone thinks of the league or the players one has to be utterly disgusted of the amount of money talked about here. I mean a million dollars a week for 5 years is just crazy.

True, everyone but Beckham :)

Gokul43201 said:
I don't know why you are disgusted, but I can think of a few people who're likely a lot more disgusted than you are.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/soccer/01/06/mls.salaries.sa/index.html

Landon Donovan now makes 700k... not that it's a huge difference

Last edited:
It's always been said that footballers are paid too much, and they always will be. If this figure of $1m a week is correct, then it could have some severe consequences on the European game- players could start leaving to go to America if this is the wage benchmark over there!

Freddy Adu as the highest paid player at $500,000 in 2004

How can he be disgusted- he's not even 18 yet (is he?) and he's earning $0.5m a year!

cristo said:
It's always been said that footballers are paid too much, and they always will be. If this figure of $1m a week is correct, then it could have some severe consequences on the European game- players could start leaving to go to America if this is the wage benchmark over there!

America isn't THAT rich ;) Also, there is a rule in MLS to protect our homegrown talent and development that an MLS team can only have one player "break" the salary cap. So this gives the ability for each team to sign a big name talent, but that is it. Very smart!

Good for the MLS, I hope for association football fans over there this will help the standing of the MLS. However don't forget Pele played for the cosmos league it was called if i remember correctly, and didnt help Footballs standings.But realistically Beckham is over the hill and not very good anymore... wonder how he will fair in the MLS.. perhaps he will be shown up :)

I think David knows he's not much longer for the game, perhaps this is the best way to retire gracefully?
Nah I think Posh just wants to get shacked up with a movie star or two... Ohhhhh David... :)

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
America isn't THAT rich ;) Also, there is a rule in MLS to protect our homegrown talent and development that an MLS team can only have one player "break" the salary cap. So this gives the ability for each team to sign a big name talent, but that is it. Very smart!

That's a rather clever clause! So, I guess every team will now go searching for a "veteran" to rival Beckham. Hands off Larsson.. he's ours! :wink:

Larsson? He's mine and always will be :) (Celtic fan) go the hooops

Anttech said:
Good for the MLS, I hope for association football fans over there this will help the standing of the MLS. However don't forget Pele played for the cosmos league it was called if i remember correctly, and didnt help Footballs standings.

But realistically Beckham is over the hill and not very good anymore... wonder how he will fair in the MLS.. perhaps he will be shown up :)

Anttech said:
Nah I think Posh just wants to get shacked up with a movie star or too... Ohhhhh David... :)

The NASL management were idiots. The comos had 15 world stars on that team it was insane and ultimately killed the league. MLS knows this and is much smarter.

Beckham might be over the hill overseas, but he will have a big impact in MLS for years. And yes, Posh definitely had a role in "David's" decision!

cristo said:
That's a rather clever clause! So, I guess every team will now go searching for a "veteran" to rival Beckham. Hands off Larsson.. he's ours! :wink:

It is pricisely what is happening and you'll see in the next few years some very big signings.

Dont underrate your players. David isn't *that* good...

Anttech said:
Larsson? He's mine and always will be :) (Celtic fan) go the hooops

Haha, fair enough, you can take that one! He is an amazing player though, and just fits into any team so well! Just hope we can keep him to help us win the treble again :cool:

Yes I agree, one of the best strikers ever.

It is pricisely what is happening and you'll see in the next few years some very big signings.
Per Quality, or per Famous?

Lets hope Quality for your sake...

Anttech said:
Dont underrate your players. David isn't *that* good...

There are "some" very good players in MLS, but as a whole the league is still third rate. With most teams on par with mid-bottom table English Championship league teams. Alot of what needs updating in MLS is actually the coaching.