Is Being Path-Connected the Key to Understanding Simply Connected Regions?

• I
  • Thread starter Aldnoahz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of simply connected regions in relation to the xy plane with the positive x-axis removed and the xy plane with the entire x-axis removed. It is explained that the former is simply connected because it is both connected and has the property of being able to reduce any loop to a point, while the latter is not simply connected because it is not connected. The importance of being path-connected is also mentioned. There is some confusion about the term "connected" in "simply connected," but it is clarified that it is a simpler concept than expected.
Aldnoahz
Hi. I am studying Multivariable Calculus and found simply connected regions difficult to understand. Why is an xy plane with the positive x-axis removed a simply connected region while an xy plane with the entire x-axis removed is not simply connected?

In the latter case, as x-axis is not defined, we shouldn't even be able to draw any curve crossing axis... So this leaves me with two separated planes in which everywhere is defined and differentiable. Then why is it still not simply connected?

How about the former case?
I am confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think (without looking it up to check) it's because a simply connected space is defined as one that is both connected and has the property of being able to reduce any loop to a point. The plane with the x-axis removed is not connected and hence not simply connected.

If it weren't for the 'and' the plane with an axis removed would not be simply connected.

andrewkirk said:
I think (without looking it up to check) it's because a simply connected space is defined as one that is both connected and has the property of being able to reduce any loop to a point. The plane with the x-axis removed is not connected and hence not simply connected.

If it weren't for the 'and' the plane with an axis removed would not be simply connected.

Technically I think a simply connected space is required to be path connected.

Aldnoahz said:
In the latter case, as x-axis is not defined, we shouldn't even be able to draw any curve crossing axis... So this leaves me with two separated planes in which everywhere is defined and differentiable. Then why is it still not simply connected?
You answered it yourself. It is in two separate parts that are not connected. So it is not simply connected.

FactChecker said:
You answered it yourself. It is in two separate parts that are not connected. So it is not simply connected.
That is only clear when one knows that being path-connected is an additional requirement for a space to be simply connected, as per the above discussion. Forgetting that additional criterion is very understandable since nearly all the emphasis on simple connectedness (at least in my texts) is on the ability to contract a loop.

It's also worth noting that the presence of the word 'connected' in 'simply connected' does not provide an etymological clue that connectedness is also required, as the term 'locally connected' demonstrates. Neither of local connectedness nor connectedness entails the other.

andrewkirk said:
That is only clear when one knows that being path-connected is an additional requirement for a space to be simply connected, as per the above discussion. Forgetting that additional criterion is very understandable since nearly all the emphasis on simple connectedness (at least in my texts) is on the ability to contract a loop.

It's also worth noting that the presence of the word 'connected' in 'simply connected' does not provide an etymological clue that connectedness is also required, as the term 'locally connected' demonstrates. Neither of local connectedness nor connectedness entails the other.
I agree. There may easily be some confusion about the term. I just meant to say that it is much simpler than the OP was expecting. He had, in fact, answered the question in his own question.

1. What is a simply connected region?

A simply connected region is a region in the plane where any closed curve can be continuously deformed into a single point without leaving the region. This means that there are no holes or gaps in the region.

2. How is simply connected region different from connected region?

A connected region is a region in the plane where any two points can be connected by a continuous curve within the region. A simply connected region is a stronger condition, where any closed curve can be continuously deformed into a single point without leaving the region.

3. What are some examples of simply connected regions?

Some examples of simply connected regions include circles, rectangles, and triangles. Any convex shape without holes or gaps is also a simply connected region.

4. How is simply connected region related to the fundamental group?

The fundamental group of a simply connected region is trivial, meaning that all loops in the region can be continuously shrunk to a single point. This is because a simply connected region has no holes or gaps, so there is no non-trivial loop that cannot be deformed into a single point.

5. Can a non-simply connected region be made into a simply connected region?

Yes, a non-simply connected region can be made into a simply connected region by filling in any holes or gaps. This can be done by adding a point or a line to connect the gaps, or by cutting the region into smaller simply connected pieces and then gluing them back together.