Is brain and decision making similar to cockpit and pilot

In summary, the pilot and the cockpit are two different things. Thoughts don't happen in the brain, they originate somewhere else.
rajeshmarndi
A pilot is independent of the cockpit(similar to the brain). The brain only take command for different parts of our body.

In other word the brain is only physical or instrument just like the cockpit and the actual thought process is taken by something like a pilot which is different from the brain or the instrument.

Physics news on Phys.org
While we know a lot less about the brain and consciousness than we'd like, we're pretty certain that consciousness is an emergent property of the physical brain. In other words, the cockpit IS the pilot.

That is, in case of brain, it is not like pilot and the cockpit, which are different and independent.

What you are saying is that, brain itself, is the pilot and the cockpit.

If our actual thought processes do not occur in the brain, then where do they occur?

micromass said:
If our actual thought processes do not occur in the brain, then where do they occur?

Can our subjective experience be found inside the brain.

What i am trying to ask, is that, are thought process and process, the same thing. So far, I see them differently, just like the pilot and the cockpit. The pilot and the cockpit cannot be the same thing or one thing.

rajeshmarndi said:
Can our subjective experience be found inside the brain.

Why not? Where else can it be found?

What i am trying to ask, is that, are thought process and process, the same thing. So far, I see them differently, just like the pilot and the cockpit. The pilot and the cockpit cannot be the same thing or one thing.

OK, but that's just your opinion. Do you have any scientific reference to back you up?

micromass said:
Why not? Where else can it be found?
My question is not where it can be found, but they are just two distinct thing.

micromass said:
OK, but that's just your opinion. Do you have any scientific reference to back you up?

So how do you back, that they aren't. Can both thinking and process be just one thing.

It is like a rotating disc, on one side there is a parrot and on the other side, there is a cage. They two are different thing, but when the disc is rotated, both of them take a single place i.e the parrot seem to be inside the cage.

My question is not where it can be found, but they are just two distinct thing.

Sure, I get that. You say that thoughts don't happen in the brain. But the completely natural follow-up question would be "what are thoughts then" or "where do they originate". You really can't avoid this question.

rajeshmarndi said:
So how do you back, that they aren't.

I don't need to back it, the burden of proof is on you since you made the claim.

If I come to you and tell you that I believe the sun is made of tiramisu. You ask me for proof, then the correct answer from me is not to ask what your proof is it is not made of tiramisy. My correct answer would be to find correct evidence and proof and convince you.

It is like a rotating disc, on one side there is a parrot and on the other side, there is a cage. They two are different thing, but when the disc is rotated, both of them take a single place i.e the parrot seem to be inside the cage.

Sorry, but I really fail to grasp how a rotating disc with a parrot and a cage is a analogy to the human brain.

micromass said:
Sure, I get that. You say that thoughts don't happen in the brain. But the completely natural follow-up question would be "what are thoughts then" or "where do they originate". You really can't avoid this question.

Not necessary, it has to be this question.

Yes, if at all there is question, it has to be, who or what is it that experiences the subjective experience?

The subjective experiencer is distinct from the brain or the neurons.

Here, we come again and the case is much similar, the pilot and the cockpit scenario.

Ok, you ignored my request for references several times. This thread is now locked. Please don't ever post again without valid references.

1. Is there a specific part of the brain responsible for decision making?

While decision making involves multiple regions of the brain, the prefrontal cortex is often considered to be the main area responsible for executive functions, such as planning, problem-solving, and decision making.

2. How does decision making in the brain compare to a pilot's decision making in a cockpit?

Both decision making processes involve evaluating information, weighing options, and choosing the best course of action. However, the brain's decision making is a complex and continuous process, while a pilot's decision making is often more time-sensitive and requires quick responses.

3. Can decision making be improved through training, similar to a pilot's training?

Yes, studies have shown that decision making skills can be improved through training and practice. Just like pilots undergo training to develop their decision making abilities, individuals can also learn and practice decision making strategies to enhance their cognitive abilities.

4. Are there any similarities in the decision making processes of experienced pilots and individuals with strong critical thinking skills?

Yes, both experienced pilots and individuals with strong critical thinking skills are able to quickly process and analyze information, consider multiple perspectives, and make effective decisions. This is because both groups have developed efficient neural pathways and cognitive strategies for decision making.

5. Can decision making in the brain be influenced by external factors, similar to how a pilot's decisions can be affected by weather conditions?

Yes, external factors such as emotions, biases, and environmental cues can all impact decision making in the brain. Just like pilots need to consider external factors when making decisions in the cockpit, individuals also need to be aware of these influences and actively work to mitigate their impact on their decision making processes.