Is Charging a 2.7V, 350F Supercapacitor with a 10mA, 20V Source Safe?

In summary, the conversation discussed the safety of charging a 2.7V, 350F supercapacitor with a 0.001mA 20V power source. It was determined that at this current, it would take almost 30 years for the capacitor to fully charge. To reduce the voltage and charge the capacitor safely, a potential divider or a 2.2V zener diode could be used. However, there may be issues with leakage current at lower voltages. It was also clarified that the intended current for charging is actually 10mA, not 0.001mA.
cosmos1226
I have supercapcitor 2.7V, 350F. I want to charge it by 0.001mA 20V power source. Is it safe?
Thanks you!.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi
welcome to the forums

well its a 2.7V capacitor ... what do you think ?

Dave

cosmos1226 said:
I have supercapcitor 2.7V, 350F. I want to charge it by 0.001mA 20V power source. Is it safe?
Thanks you!.
What arrangement will you use to charge it? How do you know your power supply is limited to 0.001mA?

A 350 F capacitor charged to 2.7 volt contains a charge of 2.7*350 = 945 Coulombs.
If the current is really limited to 0.001mA, it would take 945 / (10^-6) = 9.45 * 10^8 seconds = 29.9 years for it to charge to 2.7 volts, so you'd be ok for a long time.
In practice there will be a lot more leakage current than 0.001 mA and the capacitor would never charge to 2.7 volt.

I'm experimenting power supply 20V for charging 27V capacitor 350F. Supercapacitor is loaded, but does know it safe?

cosmos1226 said:
I'm experimenting power supply 20V for charging 27V capacitor 350F. Supercapacitor is loaded, but does know it safe?
Is the capacitor rating 2.7V or 27V?

NascentOxygen said:
Is the capacitor rating 2.7V or 27V?
. maxwell supercapacitor 2.7V 350F. thánks you

You could connect a pair of resistors as a potential divider to reduce your 20V down to a safe level, say 2.2V. Then the supercapacitor could be safely left to charge unsupervised, and you'd know that in a few decades it should be almost fully charged to 2.2V

You haven't answered why you want to charge it at 0.001mA, and I presume that is not the figure you intend.

Likes cosmos1226
NascentOxygen said:
You could connect a pair of resistors as a potential divider to reduce your 20V down to a safe level, say 2.2V. Then the supercapacitor could be safely left to charge unsupervised, and you'd know that in a few decades it should be almost fully charged to 2.2V

You haven't answered why you want to charge it at 0.001mA, and I presume that is not the figure you intend.
Although the voltage is 20V but only amperage 10mV (it as a leak). so, I do not want to pass any parts change any power consuming.

cosmos1226 said:
amperage 10mV
10mV is not a current

In theory, you could connect a parallel 2.2V zener diode to limit the capacitor's voltage at 2.2V, but a practical zener would have significant leakage current below a capacitor voltage of 2.2V.

Likes cosmos1226
NascentOxygen said:
10mV is not a current

In theory, you could connect a parallel 2.2V zener diode to limit the capacitor's voltage at 2.2V, but a practical zener would have significant leakage current below a capacitor voltage of 2.2V.
I'm sorry, 10mA

cosmos1226 said:
I'm sorry, 10mA
So it's 10mA now!

Up until this, it has been one-thousandth of a milliamp (0.001mA).

Are you sure it's 10mA??

1. How long does it take to charge a supercapacitor?

The charging time for a supercapacitor depends on several factors such as the capacitance, voltage, and charging current. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes to fully charge a supercapacitor. However, with advancements in technology, the charging time for supercapacitors is expected to decrease in the future.

2. What is the maximum voltage that can be applied to a supercapacitor during charging?

The maximum voltage that can be applied during charging varies depending on the type and size of the supercapacitor. Generally, the maximum voltage ranges from 2.5V to 5.5V. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the maximum voltage to prevent damage to the supercapacitor.

3. Can a supercapacitor be overcharged?

Yes, a supercapacitor can be overcharged if the maximum voltage is exceeded. Overcharging can lead to irreversible damage and reduce the lifespan of the supercapacitor. It is important to monitor the charging process and use a charging circuit that automatically stops when the maximum voltage is reached.

4. Can a supercapacitor be charged using a solar panel?

Yes, a supercapacitor can be charged using a solar panel. However, the charging time and efficiency will depend on the size of the solar panel, the amount of sunlight, and the capacity of the supercapacitor. Additionally, a charging circuit may be needed to regulate the voltage and prevent overcharging.

5. What is the difference between charging a supercapacitor and a battery?

The main difference between charging a supercapacitor and a battery is the mechanism of energy storage. Batteries store energy through chemical reactions, while supercapacitors store energy through the separation of positive and negative ions in an electrolyte. This results in a much faster charging time for supercapacitors compared to batteries. Additionally, supercapacitors have a longer lifespan and can withstand a higher number of charge-discharge cycles compared to batteries.