Do Joule Thief's Work With Supercapacitors

In summary, it is possible to boost the voltage of a super capacitor up to 2 volts using a Joule Thief, but it is not very efficient and might not be very useful.
Puglife
I have a supercapcitor to power some of my small projects. The only problem is that the voltage drops gradually, unlike a lithium ion battery, in which the voltage is mostly stable throughout. My boost converter that I am using to boost the voltage up to 5 volts, stops working with an input voltage below 1 volt, and it is a 2.5 volt super capacitor, so the power source dies almost twice as fast, because i can only use a little more than half the power in the cap.

My question was, How would I boost the voltage of my super capacitor up to the usable 1 volt, if it is lower than that? Can I use some sort of Joule Thief with my Super Capacitor? Is their some sort of other method I have not considered?

Engineering news on Phys.org
At 1 V, your supercap has only 1/6.25=16% of its original energy left. Do you need those 16% that urgently, or could a larger capacitor or something else be easier?

mfb said:
At 1 V, your supercap has only 1/6.25=16% of its original energy left. Do you need those 16% that urgently, or could a larger capacitor or something else be easier?
My Apologize, I meant to say 2 volts not 1, I miss read the specs.

Okay, 25% then. Same question. It is certainly possible to get a bit more out of it, but not much (and certainly not the full 25%). I don't know your other constraints (space, money, weight, ...), but making something bigger is often easier than adding complexity.

mfb said:
Okay, 25% then. Same question. It is certainly possible to get a bit more out of it, but not much (and certainly not the full 25%). I don't know your other constraints (space, money, weight, ...), but making something bigger is often easier than adding complexity.
so how would i go about getting more out of it, could i use a joule thief to boost the voltage to a constant 2.5 volts? or is their some other way, because i need as much capacity as possible, and for a small size

You can certainly do that, but the setup will need some space as well, especially for the coil. The transistor needs some minimal operating voltage, and will draw significant power. The resistor will also need some power.
This is very vague, but "a small size" is not very precise.

mfb said:
You can certainly do that, but the setup will need some space as well, especially for the coil. The transistor needs some minimal operating voltage, and will draw significant power.
This is very vague, but "a small size" is not very precise.
so what kind of decrease in efficiency would i be seeing like 10% ?

Puglife said:
so what kind of decrease in efficiency would i be seeing like 10% ?
like overall capacity and storage

Depends on details of your setup.
If you have the Joule thief as intermediate step all the time, you have its efficiency loss for the whole discharge - you could even end up with less energy than before. If you want to use it only once the capacitor is below 1 V, you need additional logic for that. I would be surprised if it helps.

mfb said:
Depends on details of your setup.
If you have the Joule thief as intermediate step all the time, you have its efficiency loss for the whole discharge - you could even end up with less energy than before. If you want to use it only once the capacitor is below 1 V, you need additional logic for that. I would be surprised if it helps.
so is their no other way to step up the voltage then, maybe using some other form of boost converter?

thanks for the help guys, it is much appreciated

1. How does a Joule Thief work with supercapacitors?

The Joule Thief is a simple electronic circuit that is designed to efficiently extract energy from a power source, such as a battery or supercapacitor, that is below its normal operating voltage. It works by utilizing the energy stored in the magnetic field of a coil to boost the voltage and provide a steady output.

2. Can a Joule Thief work with any type of supercapacitor?

Yes, a Joule Thief can work with any type of supercapacitor as long as it has a voltage rating that is suitable for the circuit. However, the efficiency and performance of the Joule Thief may vary depending on the characteristics of the supercapacitor, such as capacitance and internal resistance.

3. What are the advantages of using a Joule Thief with supercapacitors?

The main advantage of using a Joule Thief with supercapacitors is that it allows for the efficient use of the energy stored in the supercapacitor, even when its voltage is low. This can extend the usable lifetime of the supercapacitor and provide a more stable output voltage, making it suitable for applications such as LED lighting.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Joule Thief with supercapacitors?

One limitation of using a Joule Thief with supercapacitors is that it may not be suitable for high power applications. This is because supercapacitors have a lower energy density compared to batteries, so they may not be able to supply enough energy for high power demands. Additionally, the efficiency of the Joule Thief may decrease with higher voltage output.

5. How can I optimize the performance of a Joule Thief with supercapacitors?

To optimize the performance of a Joule Thief with supercapacitors, you can experiment with different coil designs and supercapacitor configurations. You can also adjust the components, such as the value of the inductor and the number of turns in the coil, to achieve the desired output voltage and efficiency. Additionally, selecting a supercapacitor with a suitable voltage rating and low internal resistance can also improve the performance of the circuit.