Is chirality dependent on the representation of the gamma matrices?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of projection operators in QFT and the left- and right-handed parts of the Dirac spinor. There is a question about the dependence of these parts on the representation of the gamma matrices. It is mentioned that the Weyl representation is required for the chiral projections to take a specific form.
AlbertEi
Hi,

In QFT we define the projection operators:
\begin{equation}
P_{\pm} = \frac{1}{2} ( 1 \pm \gamma^5)
\end{equation}
and define the left- and right-handed parts of the Dirac spinor as:
\begin{align}
\psi_R & = P_+ \psi \\
\psi_L & = P_- \psi
\end{align}
I was wondering if the left- and right-handed parts of the Dirac spinor are dependent on the representation of the gamma matrices (for instant Dirac representation, Weyl representation or Majorana representation)?

For instance, a general solution of the Dirac equation (following the book "Symmetry and the Standard Model" by Matthew Robinson who works with the signature (-,+,+,+)) is given by:
\begin{equation}
\psi(x) = a v(\mathbf{p}) e^{i p_\mu x^\mu} + b u(\mathbf{p}) e^{- i p_\mu x^\mu} \label{15.1}
\end{equation}
Then, it is not too difficult to show that for a particle at rest using the Weyl representation this results in:
\begin{equation}
v_L=-v_R
\end{equation}
and:
\begin{equation}
u_L=u_R
\end{equation}
Subsequently, he derives that in the Dirac representation the above two equations also hold. However, I do not agree with his derivation and his result, and according to my derivation the above two equations do not hold in the Dirac representation. So my question is: do the above two equations must hold for any representation (i.e. is my derivation definitely wrong)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the gamma matrices anticommute, if we were to swap two of them (say ##\gamma^2\leftrightarrow \gamma^3##), the sign of ##\gamma^5## can change. I think you can show that chirality is fixed under a unitary transformation ##\gamma^\mu \rightarrow U \gamma^\mu U^\dagger##, but this requires that you also perform the unitary transformation on the spinor ##\psi \rightarrow U \psi##. Also, you can see that if ##\gamma^5## is different between representations, an eigenvector of one ##\gamma^5## matrix need not be an eigenvector of the other choice ##\gamma^{'5}##. So in the Dirac basis, the chiral projections of a generic spinor do not take the same form as the projections in the Weyl basis.

Likes 1 person
AlbertEi said:
Hi,

In QFT we define the projection operators:
\begin{equation}
P_{\pm} = \frac{1}{2} ( 1 \pm \gamma^5)
\end{equation}
and define the left- and right-handed parts of the Dirac spinor as:
\begin{align}
\psi_R & = P_+ \psi \\
\psi_L & = P_- \psi
\end{align}
I was wondering if the left- and right-handed parts of the Dirac spinor are dependent on the representation of the gamma matrices (for instant Dirac representation, Weyl representation or Majorana representation)?
you are right,the left handed and right handed parts will only come out when you use the chiral representation of gamma matrices i.e. weyl representation.Just put the γ5 in chiral representation and see the projection operator.

1. What does chirality mean in the context of gamma matrices?

Chirality refers to the property of a particle or system to have a distinct left or right-handedness. In the context of gamma matrices, chirality is related to the direction of spin of particles and is represented by the projection operators of the gamma matrices.

2. How do gamma matrices affect chirality?

Gamma matrices play a crucial role in determining the chirality of a particle or system. The chirality of a particle can be determined by the eigenvalues of the gamma matrices, which correspond to the spin states of the particle.

3. Is chirality dependent on the representation of gamma matrices?

Yes, the representation of gamma matrices does impact the chirality of a particle. Different representations of gamma matrices can result in different eigenvalues and thus affect the chirality of a particle or system.

4. Can chirality change when using different representations of gamma matrices?

Yes, chirality can change when using different representations of gamma matrices. This is because different representations can result in different eigenvalues and thus alter the spin states and chirality of a particle or system.

5. How is chirality related to the symmetry of gamma matrices?

Chirality is closely related to the symmetry of gamma matrices. In particular, the chiral symmetry of gamma matrices is responsible for the conservation of chirality in certain physical processes, such as the weak interaction in particle physics.