Is Chord Factor the same thing as Winding Factor?

In summary, my Father's friend repairs electric motors and, occasionally, he comes to me with questions that require more of an "engineering knowledge." He asked me this past Sunday if I could explain to him what are Chord and Chording Factor, and, as has happened to me before, I felt I had a pretty good understanding of what they were until I made an attempt to explain it in "plain talk," away from the relative comfort of engineering text vernacular. As I understand it Chord Factor and Winding Factor are the same thing, yes? The chord factor being the ratio of the Emf produced in the coil that is not full pitch over what the Emf would be if it were full pitch;
EverGreen1231
My Father's friend repairs electric motors and, occasionally, he comes to me with questions that require more of an "engineering knowledge." He asked me this past Sunday if I could explain to him what are Chord and Chording Factor, and, as has happened to me before, I felt I had a pretty good understanding of what they were until I made an attempt to explain it in "plain talk," away from the relative comfort of engineering text vernacular.

As I understand it Chord Factor and Winding Factor are the same thing, yes? The chord factor being the ratio of the Emf produced in the coil that is not full pitch over what the Emf would be if it were full pitch; is this correct?

I have looked online to see if I could discover decrypting information, but the theme seems to trend that many people do not refer to the entity I talking about as "Chord" factor, but, rather, "Winding" factor.

If someone could help explain what Chord factor if it is the same as Winding factor, I would be very appreciative.

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.electrical4u.com/winding-factor-pitch-factor-distribution-factor/

and here - p 534

I have memories of sitting through lectures about all this many years ago .

Last edited:
Nidum said:
http://www.electrical4u.com/winding-factor-pitch-factor-distribution-factor/

and here - p 534

I have memories of sitting through lectures about all this many years ago .
The page was unavailable and the link was one of the first things I found in a Google search. I saw him Monday evening and explained in more detail as best I could. I don't know that I did justice to the topic, but whatever I said seemed to have cleared whatever confusion he was having. I'm going to look through one of my old Electric Machine's book and see if I can find a more concrete description.

Thank you for your reply. :)

1. Is Chord Factor the same thing as Winding Factor?

No, Chord Factor and Winding Factor are two different concepts in electrical engineering. Chord Factor is used to calculate the induced voltage in a rotating machine, while Winding Factor is used to determine the efficiency and power factor of a winding.

2. Can Chord Factor and Winding Factor be used interchangeably?

No, Chord Factor and Winding Factor have different formulas and are used for different purposes. It is important to use the correct factor for the specific application.

3. How is Chord Factor calculated?

Chord Factor is calculated by dividing the actual length of the conductor in a winding by the average length of the winding. This factor is used to determine the voltage induced in the winding.

4. What is Winding Factor used for?

Winding Factor is used to determine the effective number of turns in a winding and is helpful in calculating the efficiency and power factor of a winding.

5. Are Chord Factor and Winding Factor important in the design of electrical machines?

Yes, Chord Factor and Winding Factor are important factors to consider in the design of electrical machines as they help determine the performance and efficiency of the machine.