Is Chrome Still Showing Certificate Warning for Outdated Security Settings?

• Thread starter Jonathan Scott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chrome
In summary, Chrome is giving the following warning:The identity of this website has been verified by RapidSSL CA but it does not have public audit records.The site is using outdated security settings that may prevent future versions of Chrome from being able to safely access it.How is that message being presented? I am using the latest Chrome and only see that text if I click the lock in the address bar and go to the connection tab.The triangle warning sign comes up on the lock in the address bar, and if I click on it to see what the problem is, I see that message.Interesting. I'm using 38 at the moment. Do you see such an error using any
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
Chrome is giving the following warning:

The identity of this website has been verified by RapidSSL CA but it does not have public audit records.

The site is using outdated security settings that may prevent future versions of Chrome from being able to safely access it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
How is that message being presented? I am using the latest Chrome and only see that text if I click the lock in the address bar and go to the connection tab.

The triangle warning sign comes up on the lock in the address bar, and if I click on it to see what the problem is, I see that message.

I'm using the dev level of Chrome, which seems to have recently updated itself: 40.0.2188.2 dev-m

Jonathan Scott said:
The triangle warning sign comes up on the lock in the address bar, and if I click on it to see what the problem is, I see that message.
Interesting. I'm using 38 at the moment. Do you see such an error using any other browser?

No warning here, with FF 32.0.2 Read the certificate file, all looks good.

Thanks Doug. It could be a bug in the Chrome dev release. When 40 goes to release then we can try to diagnose if the warning appears.

I don't see any problem in Firefox, Opera or Safari. I think I saw some recent news item that said someone had recently demonstrated that it was possible to fake a certificate chain and that something was being tightened up in Chrome to prevent that, so it might be something to do with that. Apart from that, it could of course be a Chrome bug. I use the dev version on my personal laptop to try to get some advance warning of what they will break next in the stable version!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I've found the description of the change in the Chrome issues: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=401365

The title is "Deprecate SHA-1 for certificates".

I haven't fully understood it, but I think they are trying to move people off SHA-1 signing of certificates because it has been demonstrated that it can be faked, and that matches the recent news item.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks Doug. It could be a bug in the Chrome dev release. When 40 goes to release then we can try to diagnose if the warning appears.
It's definitely a move by Google with Chrome. I received notices from Symantec for my sites at the beginning of September:

"We would like to inform you of Google's intent to phase out support for certificates using a SHA-1 hashing algorithm via degraded visual indicators and warnings in the Chrome™ browser. These changes are expected to take effect in the production version of Chrome version 39 in November 2014."

Acquiring the SSH-2 update certificates from Symantec was easy. Plan to install at Hostgator next week.

(Last month I had to diagnose a PDF issue with Chrome and found that Google had replaced Adobe PDF support with their own. Had to contact almost a dozen reps in the field because Chrome couldn't accept a date with a year earlier than 1969!)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
FWIW, Symantec provided the SHA-2 update certs for free and provided an easy website process to acquire. Hope you're experience goes as well or better.

I'm updating to SHA-2. There may be some certificate warnings while I'm doing this.

Lookin' good, Greg!

pf-cert.png

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
@Jonathan Scott do you still get the warning? The connection should be SHA-2 now.

Warning triangle has gone, thanks.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

What is a certificate warning in Chrome?

A certificate warning in Chrome is a message that appears when the browser detects a problem with the security certificate of a website. This means that the website may not be secure and could potentially be harmful.

Why do I get certificate warnings in Chrome?

You may get certificate warnings in Chrome for a few reasons. It could be because the certificate has expired, the website's domain name does not match the certificate, or the certificate is not issued by a trusted authority.

Is it safe to ignore certificate warnings in Chrome?

No, it is not safe to ignore certificate warnings in Chrome. They are there to warn you about potential security risks on the website. It is best to proceed with caution or avoid the site altogether.

How can I fix certificate warnings in Chrome?

To fix certificate warnings in Chrome, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, making sure your browser is up-to-date, or checking your computer's date and time settings. If the issue persists, it is best to contact the website's administrator.

Can I still access a website with a certificate warning in Chrome?

Yes, you can still access a website with a certificate warning in Chrome, but it is not recommended. It is important to proceed with caution and only enter personal information or make purchases on sites with a valid and trusted certificate.