Is composite material engineering booming?

In summary, the person is currently in a critical stage of their career and is looking for the best career option that suits their strengths. They have a background in R&D and prefer working with computers and design simulation software. They also have a strong interest in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and strengths of materials. They have a scrupulous nature and prefer working on tasks that require attention to detail. They are considering a career in Aerospace Engineering, specifically in the field of Composite Engineering. They are unsure about the future prospects of this field and are thinking of doing a research internship in a US university to explore their interest further. They have also gathered information about the high demand for drive train and composite materials engineers. They are curious about the required background
Arceus74
Greetings,

I’m currently in the critical stages of my career right now and I really want to chose the best career option out there which suits my strength.

My strength is doing R&D and I prefer computers and design simulation software like Ansys,Matlab,AutoCAD.I love thermodynamics,fluid dynamics and Strengths of Materials and lots of differential calculus.

Personality wise I have a very scrupulous nature and prefer perfection, so I love working on things that require attention to detail.

I'm a huge Space enthusiast and love Aerospace Engineering.But I don't have much attraction towards engines.So I gathered some information online and think that Composite Engineering in Aerospace would suit my job needs.

But I’m unsure whether this field has high prospects for future?And would this really suit me?So I’m thinking of doing an research internship in a US university for a month and check out my interest in the field.

Any views is appreciated.
Thanking you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I recently asked a recruitment consultant in the UK what staff were most in demand where he was based. His answer was "drive train engineers" and "composite materials engineers". However he recruits for companies near Silverstone the home of motor racing and related industries such as aerospace.

Likes Arceus74
Just curious does a composite engineer require a strong background in chemistry?

Not sure. I thought it was all about how to design structures that were strong enough without adding weight, so you need to know about stress & strain, bending moments, lay-up/laminating procedures etc.

The person I spoke to said companies were 3D printing some parts used on racing cars so CAD experience also useful.

Likes Arceus74

Related to Is composite material engineering booming?

1. What is composite material engineering?

Composite material engineering is a field of science and engineering that involves the development and use of composite materials, which are materials made from two or more constituent materials with significantly different physical or chemical properties. These materials are combined to create a new material with enhanced properties and performance.

2. How is composite material engineering different from traditional material engineering?

Traditional material engineering focuses on developing and using single materials, such as metals or plastics, for a specific application. In contrast, composite material engineering involves combining different materials to create a new material with improved characteristics, such as increased strength, durability, and lightweight properties.

3. Why is composite material engineering booming?

Composite material engineering is booming due to its wide range of applications and benefits. These materials have high strength-to-weight ratios, corrosion resistance, and can be tailored to specific needs, making them ideal for use in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, and sports equipment. Additionally, as technology advances, new and improved composite materials are constantly being developed, leading to the continued growth of this field.

4. What are some examples of composite materials?

Some examples of composite materials include carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP), fiberglass, kevlar, and wood composites. These materials are used in various industries and applications, such as aircraft components, wind turbine blades, boat hulls, and sporting goods.

5. What are the challenges facing composite material engineering?

Some challenges facing composite material engineering include high production costs, difficulties with recycling, and the need for specialized manufacturing techniques. Additionally, there can be issues with material compatibility and bonding between different constituents. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology are continuously addressing these challenges and improving the use and sustainability of composite materials.