Is Crowdsourcing a Viable Option for Scientific Research Funding?

In summary, it seems that seeking crowdfunding for scientific projects may be a good way to get the attention of the general public and potentially get more funding for the project.
mesa
Gold Member
I have managed to raise funds over the summer to run a successful experiment on campus and the results are pointing towards some interesting phenomena that warrant further study.

I have considered crowdsourcing to raise more capital to further the project but wonder if any of you have experience (or opinions) on this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ygggdrasil said:
The term you're looking for is probably crowdfunding, not crowdsourcing. Here are some links regarding previous efforts at getting crowdfunding for science projects:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/crowdfunded-science-legit-science/
http://blog.mendeley.com/highlighti...-of-crowdfunding-a-chat-with-ethan-perlstein/

I've come across the first article but the second is a new one. What is your opinion on crowdfunding?
(I've also added crowdfunding to the tags:)

mesa said:
I've come across the first article but the second is a new one. What is your opinion on crowdfunding?
(I've also added crowdfunding to the tags:)

Some projects (e.g. the kittybiome) will be much more likely to draw interest from the general internet public than others. Success in drawing funding will probably depend a lot on the scientists' ability to get publicity, for example, whether they run a widely followed website/blog/twitter account or whether they have connections to media outlets to publicize the project. Success in drawing crowdfunding will probably depend more on one's social networks and marketing abilities than on the scientific merits of the project.

Likes mesa and Silicon Waffle
Ygggdrasil said:
Some projects (e.g. the kittybiome) will be much more likely to draw interest from the general internet public than others. Success in drawing funding will probably depend a lot on the scientists' ability to get publicity, for example, whether they run a widely followed website/blog/twitter account or whether they have connections to media outlets to publicize the project. Success in drawing crowdfunding will probably depend more on one's social networks and marketing abilities than on the scientific merits of the project.

It would seem that having good social networks and abilities to tap them in conjunction with a project that also appeals to the general public would do very well.

I am also curious what your opinion is as a Scientist. How do you (or anyone else who would like to chime in) feel about researchers branching off to crowdfunding to raise capital for University research projects?

Funding is hard to come by these days, so researchers should be willing to look beyond traditional funding sources. If you are worried that it would be seen as a negative that you sought crowdfunding for your work, I would see successfully crowdfunding a scientific project as very positive. It demonstrate show skills in entrepreneurship, which is a skill valued both in academia and, especially, in industry.

Likes mesa
Ygggdrasil said:
Funding is hard to come by these days, so researchers should be willing to look beyond traditional funding sources. If you are worried that it would be seen as a negative that you sought crowdfunding for your work, I would see successfully crowdfunding a scientific project as very positive. It demonstrate show skills in entrepreneurship, which is a skill valued both in academia and, especially, in industry.

My thinking has been along the same lines. The biggest issue may be writing a proposal that the general public can easily comprehend while simultaneously being an 'exciting' and scientifically accurate project.

Does anyone else have anything to add, or perhaps another point of view altogether?

1. What is crowdsourcing for research?

Crowdsourcing for research is the process of outsourcing research tasks to a large group of people, typically through an online platform, in order to gather and analyze data. This approach allows researchers to access a diverse pool of participants and collect data on a larger scale than traditional research methods.

2. How does crowdsourcing benefit research?

Crowdsourcing benefits research by providing access to a larger and more diverse pool of participants, allowing for a more comprehensive and representative sample. It also allows for data collection on a larger scale and at a lower cost than traditional research methods. Additionally, crowdsourcing promotes collaboration and democratizes the research process by involving non-experts in the research process.

3. What types of research can benefit from crowdsourcing?

Crowdsourcing can benefit a wide range of research areas, including social science, market research, health and medicine, and computer science. It can be used for data collection, data analysis, and even idea generation for research projects.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of using crowdsourcing for research?

One potential drawback of crowdsourcing for research is the lack of control over the quality and accuracy of the data collected. Since participants may come from diverse backgrounds and have varying levels of expertise, it can be challenging to ensure the reliability of the data. Additionally, there may be ethical concerns regarding compensation, privacy, and informed consent for participants.

5. How can researchers ensure the quality of data collected through crowdsourcing?

To ensure the quality of data collected through crowdsourcing, researchers can implement measures such as pre-screening participants, providing clear instructions, and incorporating quality checks throughout the research process. It is also important to carefully analyze and interpret the data to identify and address any potential biases or inconsistencies.