Is Cubing a Permutation in Zp for Primes Equivalent to 2 Mod 3?

• Thread starter Hello Kitty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary, the conjecture is that if p is a prime, then the cubing function x is a permutation of \mathbb{Z}_p . This permutation is unique up to a unique factorization of x into x^3 and x^2. The negation of this conjecture would imply that there are multiple permutations of \mathbb{Z}_p , but this is not the case.
Hello Kitty
[SOLVED] cubic reciprocity?

I would like to prove the following conjecture:

If [tex]p \equiv 2\ (mod\ 3)[/tex] is a prime, then the cubing function [tex]x \mapsto x^3 [/tex] is a permutation of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex].

I've tried to find a contradiction to the negation by assuming that if [tex]n \neq m\ (mod\ 3)[/tex], but [tex]n^3 \equiv m^3\ (mod\ 3)[/tex], then since [tex]m^3 - n^3 = (m-n)(m^2-mn+n^2)[/tex], we must have [tex](m^2-mn+n^2) \equiv 0\ (mod\ 3)[/tex] to avoid a contradiction concerning zero-divisors. Now I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
what exactly you mean saying "the cubing function [tex]x \mapsto x^3 [/tex] is a permutation of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex]"?

We know that there are [tex]2^p[/tex] permutations (sub-groups) in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex], right?

So you mean that one of these subgroups represent a cube? If yes, is the sub-group sum or product?

I would have interpreted "the cubing function [tex]x \mapsto x^3 [/tex]is a permutation of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex]" to mean that it permutes the members of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex]- but that's so trivial, that's probably not what's meant!

03= 0, 13= 1, 23= 2 mod 3. In fact, the cubing function is just the identity on [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex]!

3 isn't the only prime. :-p

As for the original poster... what do you know about the multiplicative structure of Z/pZ?

I thought "the cubing function [tex]x \mapsto x^3 [/tex] is a permutation of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex]" was a pretty unambiguous statement. Maybe it would be better to say it's a "bijection [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_p[/tex]".

HallsofIvy: Besides the fact that 3 is not congruent to 2 mod 3, in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_5 [/tex], [tex]2^3 \equiv 3\ (mod\ 5)[/tex] so it is not the identity.

Hurkyl: It is a group of order p-1, which is of the form 3k+1. I guess the obvious fact that springs to mind is that no element can have order 3 then by Lagrange. This means no cube can be congruent to 1 mod p (except, of course, 1). So I guess this means the kernel of the cubing map is {1} ***alarm bells ringing*** actually this map is a group homomorphism so Ker={1} implies it is injective. Of course this implies it is a bijective too.

It can be looked at a little more algebratically: If X^3 == Y^3 Mod P, then there exists an element x/y such that (x/y)^3 == 1 Mod P, which implies 3 divides the order of the group, p-1. Thus, unless x=y, P would be of the form 3k+1. (Which is about what Hello Kitty is saying)

Last edited:

Related to Is Cubing a Permutation in Zp for Primes Equivalent to 2 Mod 3?

1. What is Cubic Reciprocity in Zp?

Cubic reciprocity in Zp is a mathematical theorem that relates to the solvability of cubic equations in modular arithmetic. It states that for two prime numbers p and q, if p is a quadratic residue modulo q, then q is also a quadratic residue modulo p.

2. How is Cubic Reciprocity used in mathematics?

Cubic reciprocity has many applications in number theory and algebra, particularly in solving cubic equations and determining the solvability of certain equations in finite fields. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as cryptography and coding theory.

3. Who discovered Cubic Reciprocity in Zp?

Cubic reciprocity in Zp was first discovered by mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss in the early 19th century. However, there have been several other mathematicians who have contributed to its development and understanding over the years.

4. Can Cubic Reciprocity be extended to other types of equations?

Yes, there are generalizations of cubic reciprocity that apply to other types of equations, such as quartic equations and higher degree equations. These generalizations are known as higher reciprocity laws and have been studied by various mathematicians.

5. What are the practical applications of Cubic Reciprocity in Zp?

Aside from its use in solving equations and other mathematical problems, cubic reciprocity in Zp also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, computer science, and physics. It can also be used in cryptography to generate secure encryption keys.