Proving 2 as a Primitive Root of Z_83: A Step-by-Step Approach

In summary, the task is to prove that 2 is a primitive root of the group of integers modulo 83 by hand. The hint is to consider 2^41. The solution involves using Euler's theorem and the concept of primitive roots. In order to do so, it is necessary to show that if x is not a primitive root, then its order k must divide the totient of the group, and k cannot equal 0. This is proven by contradiction, and it is concluded that if x is a primitive root, then for any factor of the totient, x raised to that factor will not be congruent to 1 modulo 83.
fishturtle1

Homework Statement

Prove that 2 is a primitive root of ##\mathbb{Z}/83\mathbb{Z}## by hand. Hint: Think hard about ##2^{41}##.

Homework Equations

Euler's theorem, Euler's Totient function, Chinese remainder theorem(not sure if its relevant).

We don't really have anything else.

The Attempt at a Solution

So the solution I handed in was just checking ##2^1, 2^2, 2^3, ...##.. I calculated ##2^{41} \equiv -1 (\mod 83)## so the calculations were a little easier..

But listening to my classmates there was a better way.. I heard someone say you just need to check ##2^{41} \not\equiv 1 (\mod 83)## and ##2^{2} \not\equiv 1 (\mod 83)##. And I see that 41 and 2 are the prime divisors of ##\phi(83) = 82##.. So I think we can prove that ##\text{ord}_{83}(2) ## divides ##\phi(83)##.

My attempt is:
Suppose ##x^a \equiv 1 (\mod n)##. Where ##n \epsilon \mathbb{Z}## and ##x \epsilon \mathbb{Z}_n^*##. This means ##x^a \equiv x^{\phi(n)} (\mod n)##. So ##a \equiv \phi(n) \equiv 0 (\mod \phi(n))##. So ##a \equiv 0 (\mod \phi(n)##. This implies ##a = \phi(n) \cdot k## for some integer ##k##. ..

This seems like a dead end... I think I need to start the proof differently but I'm not sure how, or maybe there is a better way to do the original problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
fishturtle1 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that 2 is a primitive root of ##\mathbb{Z}/83\mathbb{Z}## by hand. Hint: Think hard about ##2^{41}##.

Homework Equations

Euler's theorem, Euler's Totient function, Chinese remainder theorem(not sure if its relevant).

We don't really have anything else.

The Attempt at a Solution

So the solution I handed in was just checking ##2^1, 2^2, 2^3, ...##.. I calculated ##2^{41} \equiv -1 (\mod 83)## so the calculations were a little easier..

But listening to my classmates there was a better way.. I heard someone say you just need to check ##2^{41} \not\equiv 1 (\mod 83)## and ##2^{2} \not\equiv 1 (\mod 83)##. And I see that 41 and 2 are the prime divisors of ##\phi(83) = 82##.. So I think we can prove that ##\text{ord}_{83}(2) ## divides ##\phi(83)##.

My attempt is:
Suppose ##x^a \equiv 1 (\mod n)##. Where ##n \epsilon \mathbb{Z}## and ##x \epsilon \mathbb{Z}_n^*##. This means ##x^a \equiv x^{\phi(n)} (\mod n)##. So ##a \equiv \phi(n) \equiv 0 (\mod \phi(n))##. So ##a \equiv 0 (\mod \phi(n)##. This implies ##a = \phi(n) \cdot k## for some integer ##k##. ..

This seems like a dead end... I think I need to start the proof differently but I'm not sure how, or maybe there is a better way to do the original problem?

Sounds like a job for Lagrange's theorem applied to the multiplicative group ##\mathbb{Z}^*_{83}##. Think about that.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Sounds like a job for Lagrange's theorem applied to the multiplicative group ##\mathbb{Z}^*_{83}##. Think about that.
Thanks for the response Dick. I am not allowed to use Lagrange's theorem. The class I'm in we are learning the algebra as we go and the professor emphasizes using fundamentals as much as possible over heavy machinery(algebra was not a prereq).

My professor posted the answer online to this specific question... I tried to generalize it here. I just want to make it clear that this proof is HEAVILY based on my professor's proof and so I'm not taking any credit for the correct things. But I deserve blame for any mistakes in the following proof.

We look to show if ##x## is not a primitive root of ##\mathbb{Z}_m^*## then ##x##'s order, call it ##k##, must divide ##\phi(m)## and ##k \neq 0##.

Proof: Let ##x \epsilon \mathbb{Z}_m##. Suppose ##x## is not a primitive root. Let ##k## be the smallest positive integer such that ##x^k \equiv 1 (\mod m)##. Because ##x## is not a primitive root, we have ##k < \phi(m)##.

We now show ##k \vert \phi(m)##. We proceed by contradiction. Suppose ##k## does not divide ##\phi(m)##. Then ##\phi(m) = km + y## for some integers ##m,y## where ##0 < y < k##. We have the following: ##1 \equiv x^{\phi(m)} \equiv x^{km+y} \equiv x^{km}x^y \equiv x^{k^m}x^y \equiv 1\cdot x^y \equiv x^y (\mod m)##. So ##x^y \equiv 1 (\mod m)##. But this contradicts our assumption that ##k## was the smallest positive integer such that ##x^k \equiv 1 (\mod m)##.

We conclude that ##k \vert \phi(m)##. []

So what I get from this is that, when seeing if some ##x## is a generator of some ##\mathbb{Z}_m##, we just need to compute ##\phi(m)## and then check ##x## raised to any of ##\phi(m)##'s factors.. and if it is a primitive root then ##x## raised to any factor of ##\phi(m)## will not be congruent to 1 (mod m).

fishturtle1 said:
Thanks for the response Dick. I am not allowed to use Lagrange's theorem. The class I'm in we are learning the algebra as we go and the professor emphasizes using fundamentals as much as possible over heavy machinery(algebra was not a prereq).

My professor posted the answer online to this specific question... I tried to generalize it here. I just want to make it clear that this proof is HEAVILY based on my professor's proof and so I'm not taking any credit for the correct things. But I deserve blame for any mistakes in the following proof.

We look to show if ##x## is not a primitive root of ##\mathbb{Z}_m^*## then ##x##'s order, call it ##k##, must divide ##\phi(m)## and ##k \neq 0##.

Proof: Let ##x \epsilon \mathbb{Z}_m##. Suppose ##x## is not a primitive root. Let ##k## be the smallest positive integer such that ##x^k \equiv 1 (\mod m)##. Because ##x## is not a primitive root, we have ##k < \phi(m)##.

We now show ##k \vert \phi(m)##. We proceed by contradiction. Suppose ##k## does not divide ##\phi(m)##. Then ##\phi(m) = km + y## for some integers ##m,y## where ##0 < y < k##. We have the following: ##1 \equiv x^{\phi(m)} \equiv x^{km+y} \equiv x^{km}x^y \equiv x^{k^m}x^y \equiv 1\cdot x^y \equiv x^y (\mod m)##. So ##x^y \equiv 1 (\mod m)##. But this contradicts our assumption that ##k## was the smallest positive integer such that ##x^k \equiv 1 (\mod m)##.

We conclude that ##k \vert \phi(m)##. []

So what I get from this is that, when seeing if some ##x## is a generator of some ##\mathbb{Z}_m##, we just need to compute ##\phi(m)## and then check ##x## raised to any of ##\phi(m)##'s factors.. and if it is a primitive root then ##x## raised to any factor of ##\phi(m)## will not be congruent to 1 (mod m).

Guess I don't think of Lagrange's theorem as 'heavy machinery', but you can do it that way as well. The only quibble I have with your proof is that you have used ##m## to mean two different things. You might want to clean that up.

Dick said:
Guess I don't think of Lagrange's theorem as 'heavy machinery', but you can do it that way as well. The only quibble I have with your proof is that you have used ##m## to mean two different things. You might want to clean that up.
Thanks, I meant ##\phi(m) = k \cdot l + y##.. for some integers l, y where 0 < y < k.

What is a primitive root of Z83?

A primitive root of Z83 is an integer that, when raised to different powers, produces all the elements in the set Z83 without repeating any. In other words, it is a number that generates the entire set through multiplication.

How many primitive roots does Z83 have?

Z83 has 10 primitive roots.

How do you find the primitive roots of Z83?

To find the primitive roots of Z83, you can use the formula an ≡ 1 (mod 83), where a is a potential primitive root and n is a positive integer less than 83. If there are no values of a that satisfy this equation, then there are no primitive roots in Z83.

What is the smallest primitive root of Z83?

The smallest primitive root of Z83 is 2.

What is the significance of primitive roots in Z83?

Primitive roots in Z83 have important applications in number theory and cryptography. They are used in the construction of discrete logarithm-based cryptosystems, which are widely used in modern day encryption methods.