Is dark/vacuum potential energy infinite?

In summary: The "A" tag is for threads at the level of. I have taken the liberty of setting the tag to something more appropriate for this question.In summary, conservation of energy does not always apply on cosmological scales.
Noduagga
And virtual particles potential energy is infinite too?
As more and more dark energy is created does this mean that the potential energy of dark energy is infinite? Does that happen for virtual particles in vacuum and vacuum energy too?

Physics news on Phys.org
As has been explained over and over on this forum, virtual particles are not real, they are a useful mathematical fiction. Non-existent things don't HAVE potential energy.

The total amount of dark energy in the universe increases over time but that does not imply infinite "potential energy". For that matter, what IS the "potential energy" of dark energy? Can you define that in any quantifiable way?

Noduagga said:
As more and more dark energy is created does this mean that the potential energy of dark energy is infinite? Does that happen for virtual particles in vacuum and vacuum energy too?
Do you remember the Law of Conservation of Energy and Matter? It says energy can't be created or destroyed but converted to other forms (.ie. matter).
For infinite energy to exist there must first be infinite matter.

Zypheros_Knight said:
Do you remember the Law of Conservation of Energy and Matter? It says energy can't be created or destroyed but converted to other forms (.ie. matter).
For infinite energy to exist there must first be infinite matter.
As has been explained MANY times on this forum, conservation of energy does not apply on cosmological scales.

phinds said:
As has been explained MANY times on this forum, conservation of energy does not apply on cosmological scales.
I'm new, sorry!

Noduagga said:
The universe is expanding, the energy density remains constant, so, in essence you could say that energy is being created (and the Law of Energy Conservation violated). We do not know much about the universe at the moment as the universe is still very young. However, I still don't understand the ''Potential Energy'' part of your question!

Edit*: I looked at the question again and noticed that you were implying that energy has energy?

Zypheros_Knight said:
The universe is expanding, the energy density remains constant, so, in essence you could say that energy is being created (and the Law of Energy Conservation violated). We do not know much about the universe at the moment as the universe is still very young. However, I still don't understand the ''Potential Energy'' part of your question!

Edit*: I looked at the question again and noticed that you were implying that energy has energy?
AGAIN, conservation of energy is NOT violated because it does not apply on cosmological scales.

phinds said:
AGAIN, conservation of energy is NOT violated because it does not apply on cosmological scales.
What about in redshift of a photon? If the space expands the wavelength of the photon increases,as energy is inversely proportional to wavelength that means that the energy of the photon decreases when space expands,thus, the Law of Energy Conservation is not conserved!

Zypheros_Knight said:
What about in redshift of a photon? If the space expands the wavelength of the photon increases,as energy is inversely proportional to wavelength that means that the energy of the photon decreases when space expands,thus, the Law of Energy Conservation is not conserved!
Exactly. As I keep saying it doesn't apply on cosmological scales.

This whole bit of the photon's energy just evaporating was hard for me to wrap my head around at first, but it's supported by all the evidence.

...the potential dark energy that can be created is iinfiinite? Does this happens also with vacuum energy and virtual particles in vacuum? (Since there is an infinite number of potential virtual particles the total energy of those particles is infinite)?

Noduagga said:
...the potential dark energy that can be created is iinfiinite? Does this happens also with vacuum energy and virtual particles in vacuum? (Since there is an infinite number of potential virtual particles the total energy of those particles is infinite)?
Didn't you already ask this and get answers? Did you not like the answers you were provided?

berkeman said:
Didn't you already ask this and get answers?
Yes, I merged them back together.

Likes berkeman

1. Is potential energy in a dark or vacuum environment truly infinite?

There is currently no conclusive answer to this question. Some theories suggest that the potential energy in a dark or vacuum environment is infinite, while others propose that it is a finite value. More research and experimentation is needed to fully understand this concept.

2. Can potential energy in a dark or vacuum environment be harnessed for practical use?

At this time, there is no known way to harness potential energy in a dark or vacuum environment for practical use. However, scientists continue to explore the possibilities and potential applications of this energy source.

3. How does the concept of infinite potential energy in a dark or vacuum environment relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The concept of infinite potential energy in a dark or vacuum environment challenges the laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed. The existence of infinite potential energy in a dark or vacuum environment raises questions about the fundamental principles of thermodynamics and requires further investigation.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with the presence of infinite potential energy in a dark or vacuum environment?

At this point, there is no evidence to suggest that the existence of infinite potential energy in a dark or vacuum environment poses any risks. However, as with any scientific discovery, it is important to proceed with caution and continue to study and understand the potential implications.

5. Could the discovery of infinite potential energy in a dark or vacuum environment lead to advancements in technology?

The discovery of infinite potential energy in a dark or vacuum environment has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of energy and lead to new technological advancements. However, it is still a relatively new concept and more research is needed before its practical applications can be fully realized.