Is diamagnetism only present with varying magnetic fields?

In summary, the conversation discusses the cause of diamagnetism and whether it is affected by varying electric fields. It is clarified that the correct law for explaining diamagnetism is Lenz's law, rather than Ampere law or Faraday law. It is also mentioned that diamagnetism is produced in the opposite direction of the applied magnetic field.
jaumzaum
Hello. I was wondering if diamagnetic materials only repel varying electric field? By Ampere law only a variable flux can cause an electromotive force, so, and by what I understood diamagnetism is explained exclusively by Ampere law. Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I said electric field I meant magnetic field.

Sorry about that!
Thannks

I don't know what you mean by "Ampere law"?
Diamagnetism is caused by Lenz's law. In classical terms, if a magnetic field (constant or varying) is applied to a current loop, the loop tends to rotate in a direction so that its magnetic field acts against the applied magnetic field. This produces magnetism (M) in the direction opposite to the applied magnetic field.

I meant Faraday law, sorry.
It was early in the morning

1. What is diamagnetism?

Diamagnetism is a property of certain materials that causes them to create a weak magnetic field in the opposite direction when placed in an external magnetic field. This effect is very small and is only present when the material is exposed to a magnetic field.

2. Is diamagnetism only present with varying magnetic fields?

Yes, diamagnetism is only present when the material is exposed to a varying magnetic field. In the absence of a magnetic field, diamagnetic materials do not exhibit any magnetic properties.

3. How does diamagnetism differ from paramagnetism and ferromagnetism?

Diamagnetism is the weakest form of magnetism and is present in all materials to some degree. Paramagnetism is a stronger form of magnetism, where materials are weakly attracted to a magnetic field. Ferromagnetism is the strongest form of magnetism, where materials can become permanently magnetized.

4. Which materials exhibit diamagnetism?

All materials exhibit some degree of diamagnetism, but it is usually very weak. Some common examples of diamagnetic materials include water, copper, gold, and silver.

5. How is diamagnetism used in scientific research?

Diamagnetism is often used in scientific research to study the properties of materials. By measuring the strength of the diamagnetic effect, scientists can gather information about the electronic and magnetic properties of a material. It is also used in fields such as magnetic levitation and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).