Is energy conserved in Minkowski space with a time-varying electric field?

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the consequences of a time-varying electric field being non-conservative and the time-dependent Hamiltonian. The conversation also touches on Maxwell's equations and the use of Minkowski space to show that the electric field is conservative. There is also mention of the Faraday tensor and its relationship to the four-dimensional potential. The conversation ends with a question about whether the concept of energy conservation and Lorentz invariance can be derived from this discussion.
DavidAlan
A friend and I had an interesting thought and would like to know if it has any consequences.

It is a well known fact that a time-varying electric field is non-conservative, it has a time-dependent Hamiltonian, blah, blah, blah, blah. I'll give this a standard treatment to set up the punchline,

Suppose you have some charged particle in this field, you traverse a closed loop and your net work is nonzero.
[itex]\oint_{\partial S}\mathbf{E}\cdot d\mathbf{l}\neq0[/itex].

However, while energy is NOT conserved, we have Maxwell's equations telling us that
[itex]\mathbf{E}=-\nabla\phi-\partial_{0}\mathbf{A}[/itex].

Now, if we define an analogous gradient operator in Minkowski space; I think this is just a covariant derivative with the Minkowski metric, then Stoke's theorem applied to a closed path readily shows that the time-varying electric field IS conservative (mathematically speaking) in Minkowski space. The closed loop integral should be zero because if we integrate with this metric, the gradient we have defined appears on the RHS of Maxwell's equation above. Mind you, you must consider the electric field as being the gradient of the four-potential.

Regardless, energy cannot be conserved. But something, fictitious or not, IS conserved. Does anyone know of any consequences of this?

If I recall, E=mc^2 is merely a consequence of Lorentz invariance. Would one expect to get this out of this song and dance? I think this would make for an interesting problem, and I cannot think of a way to work it out.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
DavidAlan said:
A friend and I had an interesting thought and would like to know if it has any consequences.

It is a well known fact that a time-varying electric field is non-conservative, it has a time-dependent Hamiltonian, blah, blah, blah, blah. I'll give this a standard treatment to set up the punchline,

Suppose you have some charged particle in this field, you traverse a closed loop and your net work is nonzero.
[itex]\oint_{\partial S}\mathbf{E}\cdot d\mathbf{l}\neq0[/itex].

However, while energy is NOT conserved, we have Maxwell's equations telling us that
[itex]\mathbf{E}=-\nabla\phi-\partial_{0}\mathbf{A}[/itex].

Now, if we define an analogous gradient operator in Minkowski space; ...

Yes, we can form an analogous gradient--or differential operator in Minkowski space, and even better, over generalized coordinates within special relativity. You should take a quick look at the Faraday tensor with lower indices in the wikipedia article, here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_tensor"

Also in this article,

[tex]F_{\mu \nu} = \frac{\partial A_\mu}{\partial x^\nu} - \frac{\partial A_\nu}{\partial x^\mu}[/tex]

Here, A is four dimensional. [itex]A_0[/itex] is [itex]\phi[/itex]. Zero indexes the temporal part of a four dimensional potential that units A and [itex]\phi[/itex] into a four dimensional vector. Indices 1 through 3 are the usual magnetic potentials with lower indices.

...I think this is just a covariant derivative with the Minkowski metric, then Stoke's theorem applied to a closed path readily shows that the time-varying electric field IS conservative (mathematically speaking) in Minkowski space.

As you correctly surmised, these are covariant derivates of E as well as B.

The closed loop integral should be zero because if we integrate with this metric, the gradient we have defined appears on the RHS of Maxwell's equation above. Mind you, you must consider the electric field as being the gradient of the four-potential.

I'm not sure how you think that the integral of E dot dl over a closed loop should be zero after substitution of E with its derivates in A, however.

In fact, I don't know how it should go. And thank you for the provocative quesiton. What do you get after substitution?

Regardless, energy cannot be conserved. But something, fictitious or not, IS conserved. Does anyone know of any consequences of this?

If I recall, E=mc^2 is merely a consequence of Lorentz invariance. Would one expect to get this out of this song and dance? I think this would make for an interesting problem, and I cannot think of a way to work it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It was developed by Albert Einstein and consists of two theories: special relativity and general relativity.

2. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial frames of reference. In simpler terms, special relativity explains the relationship between space and time for objects moving at constant velocities, while general relativity explains the relationship for objects in accelerated motion or in the presence of gravity.

3. How does the theory of relativity impact our daily lives?

The theory of relativity has led to many technological advancements, such as GPS systems, which use general relativity to account for the time dilation caused by the Earth's gravitational field. It has also revolutionized our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.

4. What evidence supports the theory of relativity?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the theory of relativity, including the observation of time dilation in experiments and astronomical observations, the bending of light around massive objects, and the successful predictions of the theory in various experiments.

5. Are there any current developments or challenges in the theory of relativity?

Yes, the theory of relativity is constantly being tested and refined, and there are several challenges and unsolved problems that scientists are still working on. These include the unification of general relativity with quantum mechanics, understanding the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and resolving the singularity at the center of black holes.