Total moment density of electromagnetic fields

In summary: and the reason for this is that ##\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}## is not a constant, it's a function of the coordinate ##\mathbf{x}##.
987oscar

Homework Statement

These is a problem from my textbook. You have an infinite solenoid with n turns per unit longitude, radius "a" and a stationary current I. In the axis there exits a uniform line charge with lineal density λ. Compute total electromagnetic momentum (lineal and angular).

Homework Equations

Poynting vector: $$\mathbf{S}=\frac{1}{\mu_0}\mathbf{E}\times\mathbf{B}$$.
Momentum density: $$\mathbf{g}=\mu_0\epsilon_0\mathbf{S}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I computed electric and magnetic fields as usual.
Electric field :
$$\mathbf{E}=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_0 r}\mathbf{\hat{r}}$$
Magnetic field (only exits inside solenoid):
$$\mathbf{B}=\mu_0 nI\mathbf{\hat{z}}$$
From here I find Poynting vector:
$$\mathbf{S}=\frac{-\lambda n I}{2\pi\epsilon_0 r}\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}$$
and momentum density:
$$\mathbf{g}=-\frac{\lambda n I}{2\pi\epsilon_0 c^2}\frac{1}{r}\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}$$
From here I have angular momentum ##\mathbf{l}=\mathbf{r}\times\mathbf{g}##:
$$\mathbf{l}=-\frac{\lambda nI}{2\pi\epsilon_0 c^2}\mathbf{\hat{z}}.$$
Integrating inside the solenoid for length 1 i find total angular momentum per unit longitude:
$$\mathbf{L}=\frac{-\lambda n Ia^2}{2\epsilon_0 c^2}\mathbf{\hat{z}}$$
When I try to compute total momentum per unit longitude I find:
$$\mathbf{G}=-\frac{\lambda n I}{2\pi\epsilon_0 c^2}\int_0^1dz\int_0^{2\pi}d\phi\int_0^a\frac{1}{r}rdr\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}=\frac{-\lambda nIa}{\epsilon_0 c^2}\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}$$.
Now the solution provided is ##\mathbf{G}=0## because momentum ##\mathbf{g}## forms closed lines ¿? Where is the mistake in my calculation?. I have been thinking about it but I can't find. Any idea? (##\mathbf{L}## calculation seems to be correct)

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
987oscar said:
$$\mathbf{S}=\frac{-\lambda n I}{2\pi\epsilon_0 r}\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}$$
and momentum density:
$$\mathbf{g}=-\frac{\lambda n I}{2\pi\epsilon_0 c^2}\frac{1}{r}\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}$$
Looks like you forgot the factor ##\mu_0 \epsilon_0## in going from S to g.
From here I have angular momentum ##\mathbf{l}=\mathbf{r}\times\mathbf{g}##:
Here, I think you have notational confusion. Angular momentum is calculated relative to the origin. You can let ##\mathbf{R}## be the position vector of a point relative to the origin. So, angular momentum density would be ##\mathbf{l}=\mathbf{R}\times\mathbf{g}##. Be sure to distinguish between ##\mathbf{R}## and ##\mathbf{r}##. You can write ##\mathbf{R}## in terms of ##\mathbf{r}##, ##\hat{k}##, and ##z##.
When I try to compute total momentum per unit longitude I find:
$$\mathbf{G}=-\frac{\lambda n I}{2\pi\epsilon_0 c^2}\int_0^1dz\int_0^{2\pi}d\phi\int_0^a\frac{1}{r}rdr\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}=\frac{-\lambda nIa}{\epsilon_0 c^2}\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}$$.
In your integration, you treated ##\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}## as a constant unit vector. Think about why this is not correct.

Hello TSny!
Thank you for your comments.
I used ##\mu_0\epsilon_0=\frac{1}{c^2}## for the ##\mathbf{g}## vector.

I used cylindrical coordinates as we have an infinite solenoid. I think angular momentum is relative to Z axis and so ##\mathbf{R}=\mathbf{r}##. I followed example 8.4 in Griffiths Introduction to Electrodynamics 4º Ed. He calls "s" "horizontal" distance from a point to Z axis and he makes a product independent of s. I don't know if these is correct for this problem.

Of course! I can't treat ##\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}## as constant. I found ##\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}=-\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}+\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}## and for angular integral I now have:
$$\int_0^{2\pi}-\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}d\phi+\int_0^{2\pi}\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}d\phi=0$$
and ##\mathbf{G}=0##:smile::smile::smile:

Thank you very much for your help!

987oscar said:
I used ##\mu_0\epsilon_0=\frac{1}{c^2}## for the ##\mathbf{g}## vector.
OK. I overlooked the ##c^2##.:oops:

I used cylindrical coordinates as we have an infinite solenoid. I think angular momentum is relative to Z axis and so ##\mathbf{R}=\mathbf{r}##. I followed example 8.4 in Griffiths Introduction to Electrodynamics 4º Ed. He calls "s" "horizontal" distance from a point to Z axis and he makes a product independent of s. I don't know if these is correct for this problem.
Looks like maybe Griffiths is using ##s## for your ##r##. For example, you wrote the electric field in terms of ##r## which implies that you are using ##r## for the perpendicular distance from the axis. But, when calculating the angular momentum density ##\mathbf{l}##, you need to use the vector from the origin to the point where you are calculating ##\mathbf{l}##. So, you need a different symbol for this vector, say ##\mathbf{R}##. For a general point inside the solenoid, you should find that ##\mathbf{l}## has both an ##\hat{r}## component as well as a ##\hat{z}## component.
upload_2017-5-28_18-36-32.png

Of course! I can't treat ##\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}## as constant. I found ##\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}=-\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}+\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}## and for angular integral I now have:
$$\int_0^{2\pi}-\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}d\phi+\int_0^{2\pi}\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}d\phi=0$$
and ##\mathbf{G}=0##:smile::smile::smile:
Yes. Good!

OK. I think finally I've understood it with your drawing.

I make ##\mathbf{R}=\mathbf{r}+\mathbf{z}=r\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}+r\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}+z\mathbf{\hat{z}}##.

Making ##C=\frac{-\mu_0nI\lambda}{2\pi}##, I find ##\mathbf{g}=\frac{-C}{r}\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}+\frac{C}{r}\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}##. And now ##\mathbf{l}=\mathbf{R}\times\mathbf{g}=-\frac{Cz}{r}\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}-\frac{Cz}{r}\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}+C\mathbf{\hat{z}}##.

We compute total angular momentum per unit length
$$\mathbf{L}=\int_0^1dz\int_0^ardr\int_0^{2\pi}\left(-\frac{Cz}{r}\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}-\frac{Cz}{r}\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}+C\mathbf{\hat{z}}\right)d\phi.$$ But, ##\int_0^{2\pi}\cos\phi\, d\phi=0##, and ##\int_0^{2\pi}\sin\phi \,d\phi=0##.
Finally we get:
$$\mathbf{L}=C\pi a^2\mathbf{\hat{z}}=-\frac{\mu_0 nI\lambda a^2}{2}\mathbf{\hat{z}}.$$

Thanks a lot for your help!:smile::smile::smile:

Yes, that looks very good.

You can shorten the work a little by using symmetry. It should be clear that the total angular momentum ##\mathbf{L}## only has a ##z## component. So, you only need the ##z## component of the angular momentum density ##\mathbf{l}##, which is what you actually calculated in your first post. So, you got the correct total angular momentum in your first post.

Likes 987oscar
Thank you. You have helped me a lot!

1. What is the total moment density of electromagnetic fields?

The total moment density of electromagnetic fields refers to the total amount of rotational energy per unit volume in an electromagnetic field. It is a measure of the strength and direction of the rotational force exerted by the electric and magnetic components of the electromagnetic field.

2. How is the total moment density of electromagnetic fields calculated?

The total moment density of electromagnetic fields is calculated by taking the cross product of the electric field vector and the magnetic field vector at a specific point in the field. This calculation is typically done using vector calculus and can be represented by the equation M = E x B, where M is the total moment density, E is the electric field vector, and B is the magnetic field vector.

3. Why is the total moment density of electromagnetic fields important?

The total moment density of electromagnetic fields is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of electromagnetic fields. It is a fundamental quantity in electromagnetism and is used in various applications, such as in the design of electromagnetic devices and in the study of electromagnetic waves.

4. How does the total moment density of electromagnetic fields affect materials?

The total moment density of electromagnetic fields can affect materials in different ways, depending on their properties. In conductive materials, the rotational force exerted by the electromagnetic field can cause electrons to move, resulting in the generation of an electric current. In non-conductive materials, the moment density can induce a polarization effect, where the atoms in the material align themselves with the direction of the field.

5. Can the total moment density of electromagnetic fields be changed or controlled?

The total moment density of electromagnetic fields can be changed or controlled through various means, such as by altering the strength or direction of the electric or magnetic fields, or by changing the properties of the materials in the field. This is why it is important to carefully study and understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields in various environments and applications.