Is Energy Used When Moving A Weight Without Doing Work?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of work in regards to lifting weights. There is a disagreement over whether work has been done when lifting and lowering a weight, with one person arguing that physical work has been done while another argues that energy has been expended but no work has been done. The conversation also delves into the use of terminology and the importance of using the correct terms in scientific discussions.
waynexk8
Dear all, it seems like I cannot reply to my thread, could we please open it again, as I need to be poilte and answer some of the questions the members asked me.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3200023#post3200023

Waynexk8 wrote;
I do not think the meaning of work, that is if you move a weight up and then down = zero, is helping this debate at all. As we all know here that force and energy have been used to lift the weight and to lower it under control, thus physical work has been done.
Dalespam wrote;
I have told you this many times already. Energy has been expended, but no work has been done.

Yes, you have explained and many others have that no work has been done, but this is not relevant to this debate, if it is please say how ? “However” I have said back to this “many” times, that “physical” work “has” been done, and physical work, force and energy are used when lifting the weight up and lowering the weight down.

And we all agree that more energy is used when the weight is moved faster and more times in the same time frame, and we all agree that the average force is the same, but that does not mean much to this debate. And we agree that in the faster reps the higher high forces are higher, and the peak forces are higher in the first say two thirds of the repetition.

My RM = 100 pounds. Say, I lift 80 pounds; I need the force of just over 80 pounds to get it moving, and then just 80 pounds to keep it moving at a very slow pace. However, to move it faster I use more force or pounds of strength from my muscles, say a 100 pounds of force, strength, but for the deceleration, I have to use less force than the weight. The slower repper uses an average of 80 pounds of force all the time.

Now the question.

Question,
As I have say lifted the 80 pounds up and down 1m 6 times I have moved the weight 12m in all, to the 2m the slower repper has lifted their weight. I have thus used far far far more energy.

So if I have used more energy, and moved the weight 10m further. You are saying that I have not done any work, nor used more force ? So why did I use more energy ?

My answer.

Each one rep of the 6 fast rep done at .5/.5 {lifted up in .5 of a second, lowered down in .5 of a second} And the one rep done at 3/3, split up into five segments.
Fast reps,
140, 100, 100, 40, 20.

Slow reps,
80, 80, 80, 80, 80.

I say it’s because the overall or total force thus tensions on the muscles are higher. As with the faster rep I have more power, coved more distance, used more energy, and used a higher force more times. And it’s these higher high forces, and the higher peak force, and as there are more of these in the same time frame “WILL” put more tension on the muscles, that’s why the muscles use more energy, because they are putting out more higher high force and the high peak force, and the slow reps medium forces cannot make up for this when the fast reps forces are using low forces on the decelerating for the transition.

It would be the same if there fast reps were 3 reps done at 3/3 = 18 seconds, and the slow reps were 1 rep done at 9/9 = 18 seconds. The higher high forces and the higher peck forces would have to be higher in the faster 3/3 reps, but just not as much as in a .5/.5 set of reps.

What I can not understand here, are all you please are very friendly, helpful, and very knowledgeable in the physics, however you do not seem to get the constant medium forces of the slower rep, can, and does not balance out the energies, and thus the overall or total FORCES used in the faster reps.

That means the fasters rep higher high forces and higher peak forces, as 140 = 75% or 50 more then 80. And 100 = 25% or 20 more than 80. Then you have 80 again, so again, 100 = 25% or 20 more than 80.

Then we have the 40 and 20 of the faster rep, and the 80 and 80 from the slower reps, 80 is higher force/strength than 40 and 20. But the slower reps can still not make up force the higher high forces and the higher peak forces that the faster reps have used 6 times in their first three fifths.

Thus, the faster reps have and MUST have used more overall or total forces, as of the percentages I worked out for you, as they have moved the same weight in the same time frame 500% more in distance, and how can you do that with the same total or overall force ?

That’s why you have used more energy.

If anyone thinks not, please state why ?

Dalespam wrote;
What is not helpful for the debate is for you to use the incorrect terminology when the correct terminology has been provided.

Yes, you were right, as you said no work has been done, but as I said, I was talking about physical work, or physically movement, moved by the force of the muscles with the fuel of energy.

Dalespam wrote;
These are technical words with specific mathematical meanings. If you want to learn science, which you have claimed several times is your goal, then you need to learn the meanings of the terms and use them correctly.

Ok, yes I total agree with this, so if I rep a weight up and down 6 times in 6 seconds, if I have not done any work, please what should I call it ?

So again all please, if I have used more energy and moved the weight 500% further, but you say I have not done any work or used no more force, why have I used more energies ?

Wayne

Physics news on Phys.org
This has all been covered multiple times in the other thread. Please go back and read the many repetitions of the answer you have been given to the many repetitions of the question.

Btw, reopening a closed thread is a bad idea.

1. What is average force and how is it calculated?

Average force is the measure of the amount of force exerted over a given period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total force exerted by the object by the duration of the time interval during which the force was exerted.

2. How is average force different from instantaneous force?

Average force takes into account the total force exerted over a given period of time, whereas instantaneous force only measures the force at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous force can vary greatly, while average force gives a more accurate representation of the overall force.

3. Can average force be negative?

Yes, average force can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion or displacement of the object. For example, if a car is slowing down, the average force in the opposite direction of its motion will be negative.

4. How does mass affect average force?

Mass does not directly affect average force. However, for the same amount of force exerted, an object with a greater mass will experience a smaller acceleration compared to an object with a smaller mass.

5. How is average force related to work and energy?

Average force is directly related to work and energy. Work is calculated by multiplying the average force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. Similarly, energy is the ability to do work, and the average force is a measure of the amount of work being done on an object.