Is Entanglement the Key to Understanding Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around questions regarding the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, particularly regarding non-locality and counterfactual definiteness. The expert explains that in the Copenhagen interpretation, particles do not have definite attributes until they are observed, and the collapse of superposition between particles is instant. They also discuss the implications of rejecting counterfactual definiteness and the use of non-locality to explain perfectly correlated spin measurements in entangled particles. The expert also clarifies that the property of spin is not present in particles until they are observed, and the concept of FTL communication is introduced as a way to explain this phenomenon. Overall, the expert provides a clear and concise summary of the key points discussed in the conversation.
physics192
I'm a layman interested in quantum mechanics and I have a few questions. I'm sorry if you receive these types of questions a lot but I can't seem to find the answers.

My first question lies within the Copenhagen interpretation. In the Copenhagen interpretation, is non locality or counterfactual definiteness rejected? I would assume that non-locality is rejected because to my knowledge that within the confines of the Copenhagen interpretation particles do not have definite attributes until they're observed.
My last question lies in entanglement. I think I may have a little trouble understanding exactly how counterfactual definiteness solves the correlations within entanglement. My current understanding is that the particles do not have definite attributes until measurement, however they must contain oppsite spins to preserve the conversation of angular momentum once measured. (Is this correct?)
Anyways, the particles are intrinsically intertwined and the collapse of superposition between the particles is instant. This is where my confusion stems from , because this seems identical to non-locality, except that there are no hidden variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you have mixed up meanings of counterfactual definiteness, non-locality and hidden variables. With counterfactual definiteness we understand that we can meaningfully speak about results of unperformed measurements. Idea that particles have definite attributes at all times is more like non-contextual local hidden variables.
If we speak about perfectly correlated spin measurements of entangled particles we can try to explain it in two different ways. First, we can model such correlations using local hidden variables, but such models are falsified by recent loophole free Bell inequality experiments. Second, we can model such correlations using non-locality.
In Copenhagen interpretation collapse is non-local so it definitely does not reject non-locality.

And there are some discussions whether rejecting counterfactual definiteness allows us to model perfect correlations without non-locality. But I can't comment on such viewpoint as how I see it any prediction that a theory makes invokes counterfactual definiteness in some way. So it is meaningless to reject it.

physics192 said:
My first question lies within the Copenhagen interpretation. In the Copenhagen interpretation, is non locality or counterfactual definiteness rejected?

Couterfactual definiteness.

physics192 said:
however they must contain oppsite spins to preserve the conversation of angular momentum once measured. (Is this correct?).

Once measured - yes - but nor before. Put a red slip of paper in one envelope and a green slip in another. Open one envelope and you immediately know the colour of the slip in the other. The slips are correlated. Its exactly the same with EPR with a twist. It turns out if you assume like the paper they have the property of spin regardless of if its observed or not then there is a certain kind of statistics to the correlations. However for EPR type experiments do conform to those statistics meaning its not like the slips of paper - it does not have the property of spin observed or not. But what if we insist? It turns out there is an out. If you allow FTL communication between the particles.

That's all there is to it really. Some simply overcomplicate it IMHO.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Mentz114

1. What is entanglement in quantum mechanics?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle cannot be described independently of the other, even if they are physically separated. This means that the particles are inextricably linked and any changes made to one particle will immediately affect the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does entanglement relate to quantum mechanics?

Entanglement is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the quantum world. It explains how particles can be connected in ways that are not possible in classical physics and allows for the phenomenon of quantum superposition, where particles exist in multiple states at the same time.

3. Can entanglement be used for communication?

Although entanglement may seem like a way to instantaneously communicate information, it is not possible to use it for faster-than-light communication. This is because entanglement does not allow for the transfer of information, but rather a correlation between the particles. Any attempt to use entanglement for communication would result in random and unpredictable outcomes.

4. Is entanglement important for quantum computing?

Yes, entanglement is a crucial component of quantum computing. By creating and manipulating entangled particles, quantum computers can perform calculations and algorithms that would be impossible with classical computers. Entanglement allows for the processing of information in parallel, making quantum computers much more powerful than classical computers.

5. How do scientists study entanglement?

Scientists study entanglement through experiments that involve creating entangled particles and measuring their correlations and behaviors. They also use mathematical models and theories, such as quantum mechanics, to understand and predict the behavior of entangled particles. Additionally, advancements in technology and quantum computing have allowed for more sophisticated studies of entanglement and its potential applications.