Is Every Algebraic Element of a Field Extension Contained in the Base Field?

In summary, an extension of a field F, denoted as K, will have a subfield A containing elements that are algebraic over F. However, not all elements in A will necessarily be in F. This is because A is a subfield of K, not F. It is worth noting that A can only equal K if K is an algebraic extension of F.
futurebird
My notes say:
If K is an extension of F then A={a in K | a is algebraic} is a subfield of K contained in F.

But the elements in A need not be in F, right? Shouldn't it be:

If K is an extension of F then A={a in K | a is algebraic} is a subfield of K contained in K.

But I don't see the point of saying that-- if it's a subfield, of course it's in K. Also, I thought that AUF = K ... but that only happens when it is an algebraic extension... right?

Physics news on Phys.org
futurebird said:
If K is an extension of F then A={a in K | a is algebraic} is a subfield of K containing in F.
I fixed a probably typo. And I assume you meant "a is algebraic over F"?

A={a in K | a is algebraic over F}

Like this, yes.

never mind--- I get it now!

Thanks again!

Related to Is Every Algebraic Element of a Field Extension Contained in the Base Field?

What are extension fields?

Extension fields are fields that are obtained by adjoining a root of a polynomial to a base field. They are used to construct larger fields with more complex structures.

What is the degree of an extension field?

The degree of an extension field is the degree of the minimal polynomial of the root being adjoined. It is also the dimension of the extension field over the base field.

How are extension fields related to field extensions?

Field extensions are a generalization of extension fields. Extension fields are a specific type of field extension, where the root being adjoined is a polynomial root.

What is the significance of extension fields in algebraic geometry?

In algebraic geometry, extension fields are used to define the concept of algebraic varieties, which are sets of points that satisfy a polynomial equation. Extension fields allow for the study of these varieties over larger fields.

How are extension fields used in cryptography?

In cryptography, extension fields are used in algebraic coding theory to construct error-correcting codes. They are also used in elliptic curve cryptography, where points on an elliptic curve are defined over an extension field.