Showing that an element is not in a field extension

In summary: In the same way you can reduce all powers of ##a_i## for ##i>1##. So you get an equation of ##r_i## with coefficients in ##\mathbb{Q}## and powers of ##r##, all greater than ##1##. Since ##r_0## and ##r_1## must be rational, this is impossible. Also, one last thing. Why must ##[\mathbb{Q}(2^{1/3}) : \mathbb{Q}]## divide ##[\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n) : \mathbb{Q}]## in order for ##2^{1/3} \in \mathbb{Q}(a
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##K = \mathbb{Q} (1, a_1, a_2, \dots, a_n)##, which is the smallest field containing ##\mathbb{Q}## and ##a_1, a_2, \dots, a_n##, where each ##a_i## is the square root of a rational
number. Show that the cube root of 2 is not an element of K.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need some pointers. I am thinking about making an argument with degrees. That is, looking at the degree of ##K## over ##\mathbb{Q}## and seeing how that relates to the degree of ##\mathbb{Q}(2^{1/3})## over ##\mathbb{Q}##, such as whether the latter is a divisor of the former.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##K = \mathbb{Q} (1, a_1, a_2, \dots, a_n)##, which is the smallest field containing ##\mathbb{Q}## and ##a_1, a_2, \dots, a_n##, where each ##a_i## is the square root of a rational
number. Show that the cube root of 2 is not an element of K.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need some pointers. I am thinking about making an argument with degrees. That is, looking at the degree of ##K## over ##\mathbb{Q}## and seeing how that relates to the degree of ##\mathbb{Q}(2^{1/3})## over ##\mathbb{Q}##, such as whether the latter is a divisor of the former.
Sounds good. Alternatively, by foot so to say, you could prove it by contradiction. Assume ##\sqrt[3]{2} \in \mathbb{Q}(a_1, \ldots ,a_n)##. This means, there is a polynomial ##f(x_1,\ldots , x_n) \in \mathbb{Q}[x_1,\ldots , x_n]## with ##f(a_1,\ldots , a_n)^3=2##. Now use the fact, that all powers of the ##a_i## are either ##0## or ##1##, even in ##f^3##, and deduce the contradiction.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
Sounds good. Alternatively, by foot so to say, you could prove it by contradiction. Assume ##\sqrt[3]{2} \in \mathbb{Q}(a_1, \ldots ,a_n)##. This means, there is a polynomial ##f(x_1,\ldots , x_n) \in \mathbb{Q}[x_1,\ldots , x_n]## with ##f(a_1,\ldots , a_n)^3=2##. Now use the fact, that all powers of the ##a_i## are either ##0## or ##1##, even in ##f^3##, and deduce the contradiction.
So just to be clear, is it correct to say that ##[\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n) : \mathbb{Q}] = [\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n) : \mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_{n-1})] \cdots [\mathbb{Q}(a_1) : \mathbb{Q}] = 2^n##, while ##[\mathbb{Q}(2^{1/3}) : \mathbb{Q}] = 3##, and since the latter does not divide the former, ##2^{1/3} \not\in \mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n)##?

Note that ##[\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n) : \mathbb{Q}]## denotes the degree of ##\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n)## over ## \mathbb{Q}##

Mr Davis 97 said:
So just to be clear, is it correct to say that ##[\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n) : \mathbb{Q}] = [\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n) : \mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_{n-1})] \cdots [\mathbb{Q}(a_1) : \mathbb{Q}] = 2^n##, while ##[\mathbb{Q}(2^{1/3}) : \mathbb{Q}] = 3##, and since the latter does not divide the former, ##2^{1/3} \not\in \mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n)##?

Note that ##[\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n) : \mathbb{Q}]## denotes the degree of ##\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n)## over ## \mathbb{Q}##
Yes. Only a minor thought: If some ##\sqrt{a_i}## happen to be a rational itself or already contained in other ##\mathbb{Q}(a_i)##, which you haven't excluded, then the degree is only ##2^m < 2^n##. It doesn't change the argument, but it is a possibility.

Btw.: This is basically the reason, why one cannot construct the third of an angle only by compass and ruler.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
Yes. Only a minor thought: If some ##\sqrt{a_i}## happen to be a rational itself or already contained in other ##\mathbb{Q}(a_i)##, which you haven't excluded, then the degree is only ##2^m < 2^n##. It doesn't change the argument, but it is a possibility.

Btw.: This is basically the reason, why one cannot construct the third of an angle only by compass and ruler.
Also, one last thing. Why must ##[\mathbb{Q}(2^{1/3}) : \mathbb{Q}]## divide ##[\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n) : \mathbb{Q}]## in order for ##2^{1/3} \in \mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n)##? I want to make sure I have my reasons right

For a tower of algebraic extensions ##\mathbb{Q} \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2}) \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(a_1,\ldots ,a_n)## we have
$$
2^m = [\,\mathbb{Q}(a_1,\ldots ,a_n)\, : \, \mathbb{Q}\,] = [\,\mathbb{Q}(a_1,\ldots ,a_n)\, : \,\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2})\,]\,\cdot \,[\,\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2})\, : \,\mathbb{Q}\,]\\
= [\,\mathbb{Q}(a_1,\ldots ,a_n)\, : \,\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2})\,]\,\cdot \,3
$$
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_of_a_field_extension#The_multiplicativity_formula_for_degrees)
which is impossible. If you may not or don't want to use this, then you'll have to do the work (I think):

An induction should work and is somehow clearer to work with, than to deal with all ##a_i## in one step.
Just write ##\sqrt[3]{2} = r_0 + r_1a_1## and show that this is impossible. All powers of ##a_1## greater than ##1## can be reduced, because ##a_1^2=r\in \mathbb{Q}##.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. How can you prove that an element is not in a field extension?

To show that an element is not in a field extension, you can use the contrapositive of the definition of a field extension. This means that if the element is not in the extension, then it is not a field. You can also use the fact that if an element does not have an inverse in the extension, then it is not in the extension.

2. What is the definition of a field extension?

A field extension is a field that contains a smaller field. In other words, it is a field that has been extended by the addition of new elements.

3. Can an element be in a field extension if it is not in the original field?

Yes, an element can be in a field extension even if it is not in the original field. This is because a field extension is created by adding new elements to the original field.

4. What is the contrapositive of the definition of a field extension?

The contrapositive of the definition of a field extension is that if an element is not in the extension, then it is not a field.

5. How can you use the fact that an element does not have an inverse to show that it is not in a field extension?

If an element does not have an inverse in the extension, then it is not in the extension. This is because a field must have an inverse for every non-zero element, so the absence of an inverse for a particular element means that it cannot be in a field extension.