Is Fermat's Marginal Proof the Key to Solving His Last Theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses Fermat's Last Theorem and a suggestion for a proof using available mathematics at the time. The conversation also touches on the general consensus that Fermat was mistaken and that Wiles' proof required new fields of mathematics. There is a discussion about a potential flaw in the proof and the concept of reductio. Ultimately, it is agreed that assuming the Fermat condition holds for all natural numbers does not make sense.
The Seeker
In trying to work out what Fermat may have conceived of as his proof, using the mathematics available at the time I have the following suggestion:

Fermat's Last Theorem can be expressed the following way:

There are no natural numbers A, B, C, N >1 for which a non-trivial solution of the following formula exists:

(1) A ^(2N+1) + B ^(2N+1) = C ^(2N+1)

To prove this we begin by assuming (1) is true and rewriting it as follows:

(2) A x A ^(2N) + B x B ^(2N) = C x C ^(2N)

We now proceed to prove that (1) cannot hold by creating a contradiction. Firstly we reasonably assume that for any valid triple of the form (1) and (2) C must be greater than A and B according to the logic of valid pythagorean triples. Secondly we introduce the general function:

(3) P x (A ^M + B ^M) = P x C ^M

And similarly assume it holds for all* natural numbers A, B, C, P, M. It therefore follows that there must be natural numbers M and P for which P=C. This would imply:

(4) C x A ^M + C x B ^M = C x C ^M = C ^(M+1)

Which, taking (1) to be true, and substituting 2N for M implies C=A=B. But for valid triples C>A and C>B and so a contradiction has been established which proves that (1) cannot hold.

* That should be at least one set of natural numbers A, B, C, P, M, where P=C.

It appears far too simple but why?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The general consensus is that Fermat was mistaken. Wiles nearly had to invent entirely new fields of mathematics to construct his proof; almost no one actually believes that Fermat constructed one as simple as he claims.

The Seeker said:
In trying to work out what Fermat may have conceived of as his proof, using the mathematics available at the time I have the following suggestion:

Fermat's Last Theorem can be expressed the following way:

There are no natural numbers A, B, C, N >1 for which a non-trivial solution of the following formula exists:

(1) A ^(2N+1) + B ^(2N+1) = C ^(2N+1)

To prove this we begin by assuming (1) is true and rewriting it as follows:

(2) A x A ^(2N) + B x B ^(2N) = C x C ^(2N)

We now proceed to prove that (1) cannot hold by creating a contradiction. Firstly we reasonably assume that for any valid triple of the form (1) and (2) C must be greater than A and B according to the logic of valid pythagorean triples. Secondly we introduce the general function:

(3) P x (A ^M + B ^M) = P x C ^M

And similarly assume it holds for all natural numbers A, B, C, P, M.
I see a logic problem right at this step. To do your reductio proof, you are assuming there exist a, b, c, and n such that an + bn = cn. That's fine.

But that certainly does not imply that this relationship holds for all a, b, c, n, and p as above. Even if FLT were false, there would be particular a-b-c-n examples. The Fermat relationship would surely not hold for all numbers a, b, c, and n.

Thanks, would it still be a reductio if it could hold for only some natural numbers?

I suppose what I'm wondering is - if we assume there is at least one natural number solution for which P=C for (1) and (3) would that immediately establish the contradiction?

The Seeker said:
Thanks, would it still be a reductio if it could hold for only some natural numbers?

FLT says that there is NO 4-tuple (a,b,c,n) satisfying an + bn =cn +an (with n > 2 etc.)

The negation of that statement is that there exists SOME 4-tuple satisfying the Fermat condition.

Surely you can see that it would be unreasonable to assume that ALL 4-tuples satisfied the Fermat condition. Can you see why that wouldn't make any sense?

I think I understand you, I should really have said that in order to establish the reductio I assume the existence of a particular set of natural numbers A, B, C, P, M such that in (2) and (3) P=C which would assert both that C > A and B and C=A=B. I'm a novice and I'm in the dark about so much, I'm grateful for your time and comments.

Last edited:
I get it now, thanks again :)

What is Fermat's marginal proof?

Fermat's marginal proof is a mathematical proof that was proposed by Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. It is a method for proving the existence of a solution to certain mathematical equations.

What is the significance of Fermat's marginal proof?

Fermat's marginal proof is significant because it provides a way to prove the existence of solutions to equations that were previously thought to be unsolvable. This has had a major impact on the fields of algebra and number theory.

What is the difference between Fermat's marginal proof and his last theorem?

Fermat's marginal proof and his last theorem are two separate mathematical concepts. Fermat's marginal proof is a general method for solving equations, while his last theorem specifically refers to the equation a^n + b^n = c^n, where n is an integer greater than 2.

Can Fermat's marginal proof be applied to all equations?

No, Fermat's marginal proof can only be applied to certain types of equations, such as polynomial equations. It cannot be applied to all types of equations.

Are there any limitations to Fermat's marginal proof?

Yes, Fermat's marginal proof has some limitations. It cannot be used to prove the existence of solutions to equations involving irrational or complex numbers, and it also cannot be used to prove the non-existence of solutions to equations.