Is Flamm's paraboloid a paraboloid?

• I
  • Thread starter pchu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paraboloid
In summary: It depends on how fussy you want to be about terminology. The way the Flamm paraboloid is generated is perfectly clear, and the math describing it is unambiguous. Whether you think it deserves the name "paraboloid" is a question of terminology, not math or physics.It's called "Flamm's paraboloid" not just "paraboloid".It depends on how fussy you want to be about terminology. The way the Flamm paraboloid is generated is perfectly clear, and the math describing it is unambiguous. Whether you think it deserves the name "paraboloid" is a question of terminology, not math or physics.
pchu
The shape of the Einstein-Rosen bridge is often visualized/modelized with the Flamm's paraboloid, and many other references have also stated clearly that it's a "surface of revolution of a parabola".
But as far as I can see, when we rotate the parabola w^2 = 8M(r-2M) (in natural units c=G=1) around the w axis (i.e r=0), we get no paraboloid.
The rotation process replaces r coordinate by sqrt(x^2+y^2), so that the resulting surface equation becomes
(w^2/8M+2M)^2 = x^2+y^2
This is even not a quadric surface, let alone a paraboloid (which looks like a bowl).
Only the rotation around its symmetric axis (i.e r axis) gives a paraboloid of revolution!
Instead, the shape of the Einstein-Rosen bridge rather looks like a hyperboloid of 1 sheet (although not rigorously).

What's annoying me is that I cannot find anyone / any article on the Internet highlighting the fact that the Flamm's paraboloid is NOT a paraboloid, am I wrong??
Thanks for any helpful comments (for this is my first post).

Physics news on Phys.org
pchu said:
This is even not a quadric surface, let alone a paraboloid (which looks like a bowl).
Maybe you rotate it around the wrong axis?

A.T. said:
Maybe you rotate it around the wrong axis?
But if we rotate it around the ``correct'' axis to get the real paraboloid of revolution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraboloid
Now it looks nothing like the ``Flamm's paraboloid'' (or, Einstein-Rosen bridge)...

Last edited:
From the exterior a black hole pinches a hole in spacetime so it is cut of at r=2GM/c², but when you look at the interior Schwarzschild solution you get the paraboloid in the complex plane:

Schwarzschild_interior.jpg

Yukterez said:
From the exterior a black hole pinches a hole in spacetime so it is cut of at r=2GM/c², but when you look at the interior Schwarzschild solution you get the paraboloid in the complex plane:

This is wrong.

Spacetime is not cut at r=2GM/c² and the interior part is not parabolic but spherical.

The interior Schwarzschild solution describes what happens in a spherically symmetric incompressible fluid with zero pressure on the surface. Outside you will have the regular Schwartzschild vacuum solution and the transition between the two does not occur at the Schwarzschild radius, but wherever the surface of the fluid is.

Yukterez said:
a black hole pinches a hole in spacetime so it is cut of at r=2GM/c²

No, this is not correct. What is correct for a black hole is that the spacelike surfaces of constant Schwarzschild coordinate time ##t## in the exterior of Schwarzschild spacetime (i.e., above the horizon), whose spatial geometry is described by the Flamm paraboloid, do not extend below the horizon. This is usually reflected by cutting off the paraboloid at ##r = 2M##. But strictly speaking, the maximally extended spacetime has another exterior region, so the full spacelike surface is actually two paraboloids joined at the ##r = 2M## surface. There is no "hole in spacetime" at ##r = 2M##.

Likes vanhees71
Yukterez said:

No, that's the picture for spherical incompressible fluid in vacuum, which has nothing to do with the Einstein-Rosen bridge model.

PeterDonis said:
No, this is not correct. What is correct for a black hole is that the spacelike surfaces of constant Schwarzschild coordinate time ##t## in the exterior of Schwarzschild spacetime (i.e., above the horizon), whose spatial geometry is described by the Flamm paraboloid, do not extend below the horizon. This is usually reflected by cutting off the paraboloid at ##r = 2M##. But strictly speaking, the maximally extended spacetime has another exterior region, so the full spacelike surface is actually two paraboloids joined at the ##r = 2M## surface. There is no "hole in spacetime" at ##r = 2M##.
But then the Flamm's paraboloid looks nothing like a well-defined paraboloid!?
Can we just rotate a parabola around an arbitrary line and call that a paraboloid!?

pchu said:
Can we just rotate a parabola around an arbitrary line and call that a paraboloid!?

It depends on how fussy you want to be about terminology. The way the Flamm paraboloid is generated is perfectly clear, and the math describing it is unambiguous. Whether you think it deserves the name "paraboloid" is a question of terminology, not math or physics.

pchu said:
It's called "Flamm's paraboloid" not just "paraboloid".

PeterDonis said:
It depends on how fussy you want to be about terminology. The way the Flamm paraboloid is generated is perfectly clear, and the math describing it is unambiguous. Whether you think it deserves the name "paraboloid" is a question of terminology, not math or physics.
Alright, then we do agree that this "Flamm's paraboloid" is NOT what mathematicians defined as "paraboloid", that whenever we mention it, we should call it "Flamm's paraboloid" as a whole, right?
I think that it's like we don't rotate an ellipse around an arbitrary inclined axis and call that an ellipsoid...

pchu said:
we do agree that this "Flamm's paraboloid" is NOT what mathematicians defined as "paraboloid"

It would appear that it isn't according to the definition you referenced, no.

pchu said:
whenever we mention it, we should call it "Flamm's paraboloid" as a whole

That's how I've always seen it referred to in GR discussions, yes.

PeterDonis said:
That's how I've always seen it referred to in GR discussions, yes.
Lucky for you, cause I've seen people calling it paraboloid surface or something in several literatures.
In another book, the author even explains that the paraboloid is a parabola rotating around its axis of symmetry (which is generally correct but not in this case), which made me feel WTF for a second... (ok maybe that's a typo)

[Moderator's note: a subthread on the spatial geometry of constant Schwarzschild time hypersurfaces in the maximally extended spacetime has been spun off to a different thread.]

1. Is Flamm's paraboloid a paraboloid?

Yes, Flamm's paraboloid is a type of paraboloid. It is a three-dimensional shape that can be described in mathematical terms as a quadratic surface with a parabolic cross-section.

2. Who is Flamm and why is this paraboloid named after them?

Flamm is a mathematician and physicist who first described this type of paraboloid in the early 20th century. It is named after him as a way to honor his contribution to the field of mathematics.

3. What are the properties of Flamm's paraboloid?

Flamm's paraboloid has several properties, including being a curved surface with a parabolic cross-section, having a single vertex, and being infinitely thin at its edges. It is also a symmetric shape, meaning it looks the same when rotated around its axis.

4. Are there real-life applications for Flamm's paraboloid?

Yes, Flamm's paraboloid has several real-life applications, including in architecture, engineering, and physics. It can be used to design structures with curved roofs or as a model for certain types of antennas. It also has applications in optics and fluid dynamics.

5. How is Flamm's paraboloid different from other types of paraboloids?

Flamm's paraboloid is different from other types of paraboloids in that it has a single vertex and is infinitely thin at its edges. Other types of paraboloids may have multiple vertices or be thicker at their edges. Additionally, Flamm's paraboloid has a specific mathematical equation that sets it apart from other paraboloids.